News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Jackhammer - 11 April 2024, 08:12 AM
The aftermarket connector terminals are flat, and factory ones are round. What I did was, I took a spare connector which fits where the relay was, and crimped spade connectors to it's wires. This way I didn't have to hack-up the original connections, if I ever want to use oem relay. (you can see connector connected behind my hand)

Most of the cars using this type of relay, use 21w bulbs, so no problems
Mechanicals / Re: Glow Plug Light (1979 300S...
Last post by amilio - 10 April 2024, 10:34 PM
79' SD as well and I have the same issue sometimes. Seems to happen more when the car is cold. Tried a new relay and still have the same intermittent issue. Wondering if it's an issue with the fuse as that's the only thing I haven't replaced yet (first thing I did was replace all the plugs and ream the plug holes). Agree that the plugs are not working when it blinks. Sometimes they glow normally after waiting on the relay and trying again.

Hoping you have luck getting advice on this issue so I can fix the problem on my car as well!
Mechanicals / Glow Plug Light (1979 300SD)
Last post by benzjag - 10 April 2024, 07:50 PM
The glow plug light on my 79 300SD blinks until the glow plug relay cuts out. The glow plugs test good from the relay AND at the plugs themselves using my ohms meter. The light during glowing BEFORE I turn the key to start is a solid light. It's only after starting, the light blinks and will blink until the relay stops. I know some plugs are not glowing because the car "misses" for a few seconds.

Any ideas what's going in? Never had this on my W123/W126 diesels.

Thnx.

Richard
Shop / Flasher Relay RHD 1977 (Aus)
Last post by Alex - 09 April 2024, 07:39 PM
Should be a Bosch 0 365 200 007

Anyone got a reasonable price?
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - 09 April 2024, 05:31 PM
Quote from: Jackhammer on 04 April 2024, 04:41 AMYou can always buy the cheapo generic one, and test if it would solve your problem. Is your relay 4 pin or 3 pin?
My original one died in the city, (rush hour ofcourse), so I just bought the generic 3 pin one, and it works like a charm, although it's quite quieter than the OEM one

When I get a chance I'll pull the relay and out and see what it is.

I would need to fabricate some new connectors for an aftermarket one to fit right?

And is there any risk with an after market one (it should just work if the amperage range is the same).
Mechanicals / Re: Heater always on
Last post by rumb - 09 April 2024, 08:17 AM
Start by reading this:
https://handbook.w116.org/Climate/

Check the heater hose valve on firewall, next could be vacuum pods.

Do you have manual system or dreaded chrysler?
Mechanicals / Help with stiffer road springs...
Last post by chris_los - 08 April 2024, 09:41 PM
Hello Everyone;

I'm in the process of outfitting my 1977 350SE for a classic car rally that will go from Cape Town to Nairobi this July.  I'll be adding a roof tent, 12v fridge/icemaker, a second "house" battery and some luggage.  I estimate all this will add about 500 lbs of weight to my 350SE.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with what type of road spring to install to help cope with this.  I was thinking of putting W116 300SD front springs on, with 4 tab spring seats up front as the OM617 is heavier than the M116 and that should give me some extra clearance.

For the rears, where most of the additional weight will be, what are my options for rear springs?  I have a friend who put W140 springs on his W126 to raise it up, but I don't want to lift it more than 1" or so, I just don't want to be down due to the weight. 

My car is in Cape Town and I'm in Canada until mid June so I'll only have about 2 weeks to fit all this stuff (I rebuilt the top end of the engine fall of 2023, plus did service and other repairs).  I do have a 450SE in Canada that I'm using as a template and parts car.  I will be able to test fit uprated road springs on my 450SE and use some cinder blocks as test weight, then pack them to South Africa when I go...

Any suggestions?

I'd also kill for a factory W116 sump guard... mine is missing.  Does anyone know if the W126 sump guard will fit a W116?
Mechanicals / Heater always on
Last post by Magyar - 08 April 2024, 08:04 PM
Hi , I have a w 116 mercedes and the heater is always putting out warm air through the vents.

How can I fix this?
Mechanicals / Re: Dash Color (Bambo Interior...
Last post by rumb - 08 April 2024, 01:58 PM
Brown.  I dont think there is a specific name.

You probably will need to get some custom dye.  Letherique can match from a swath.

Are you repairing cracks? if so how?