News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: W116 interior lights
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 05:28 PM
Quote from: UTn_boy on 14 March 2024, 03:43 PMAssuming you're referring to the roof lights and glove box light....Festoon bulbs.  5 watt only.  Be sure to buy the correct length, as there are different lengths for the 5w festoon bulbs.  These are usually available at local car parts stores. 
Hi, the lights.I was referring to were the tiny light Bulbs behind the air conditioner switch and the headlight switch.
Mechanicals / Re: W116 interior lights
Last post by UTn_boy - 14 March 2024, 03:43 PM
Assuming you're referring to the roof lights and glove box light....Festoon bulbs.  5 watt only.  Be sure to buy the correct length, as there are different lengths for the 5w festoon bulbs.  These are usually available at local car parts stores. 
Mechanicals / Re: No reverse 280se
Last post by ramiro - 14 March 2024, 09:26 AM
Linkage makes no sense because Reverse is in the middle , so there always should be a way to get into reverse.
I also think that most likely the problem is inside the transmission , did it go quickly into reverse before you lost it ?
Mechanicals / Re: W116 280se slow
Last post by rumb - 14 March 2024, 08:34 AM
Check throttle linkage, gas pedal and all thru linkages.
Mechanicals / Re: No reverse 280se
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 12:56 AM
Quote from: rumb on 12 March 2024, 09:39 AMDid you check all the shift linkage bushings?
Quote from: rumb on 12 March 2024, 09:39 AMDid you check all the shift linkage bushings?the bushings seem fine, it goes into reverse but, doesn't seem to FULLY engage.
Mechanicals / W116 interior lights
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 12:55 AM
Hi what kind of light bulbs is needed for the w116 interior? (Not cluster lights)
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 12:54 AM
Quote from: rumb on 12 March 2024, 09:50 AMDid this happen suddenly or over time?

Does your car have cats on it?  could be plugged.
Last time fuel filter/pump  changed?

BTW, can you please post a history of the car?  Both of your questions you have provided very little information that could help diagnose further, which has probably limjted replies. Your general question has a hundred answers/guesses at this point.
I just bought the car, it runs slow on both gas and petrol.
Last post by Magyar - 14 March 2024, 12:52 AM
Quote from: Randys01 on 11 March 2024, 11:32 PMGee you're swamped with replies?!!
It wont go past  80? 
Is the engine revving like hell or does the revs seem to be commensurate with road speed?
Does the engine rev freely  in neutral?
Not stuck in a lower gear?
Are you sure the hand brake has fully released?
""   "" sure the footbrakes are not jammed on?

the engine revs normally in neutral and while in drive.

It can go past 80km/h but very slowly.
Mechanicals / Re: Siphon hose fell in gas ta...
Last post by raueda1 - 13 March 2024, 08:38 PM
I hate to say it, but I'd strongly recommend getting it out, or at least not ignore it indefinitely.  Leaving it in is an experiment in the long term effect of gasoline on PVC or whatever rubber it was.  I've already done that experiment in my pre-retirement career.  It generally isn't nice.  In the case of rubber, at a minimum it's likely that the tubing will swell and lose mechanical integrity.  Then it's subject to falling apart with b its of hose stuff in your fuel and messing up filters the rest of the fuel system.  In the case of PVC you risk extracting the plasticisers with a similar end result.  This wouldn't be overnight, to be sure.  But by ignoring it you risk having to the job that you seek to avoid by leaving it in.  In fact, the job would probably end up being a lot bigger if crp gets through your fuel system. If it were me I'd get it out.  I can't suggest some obvious way, but there must be one.  My thoughts go to endoscopes and those long grabbers on a flexible shaft, but I haven't tried myself.  Removing the sender gives a pretty big hole to poke around it.  Good luck!
Shop / Re: 6.9 UK model wanted
Last post by adamb - 13 March 2024, 04:26 PM
Look out on ebay.co.uk. There was a black 6.9 in need of some work for £15K. With low labour rates compared with to Western Europe that would have been a good candidate for restoration.