News:

The Org
Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Just secured a 450 SEL 6.9...
Last post by andrewk - 18 November 2022, 08:29 AM
Quote from: raueda1 on 13 November 2022, 07:32 PMI'm pretty sure that the fuzzy yellow/green stuff on the fuel cap is a kind of salt formation resulting from moisture condensation on some metal surfaces.  And where there is moisture there is usually rust.  As part of your pre-start fuel system cleanup it might be a good idea to pull the gas tank and clean up the giant fuel sieve etc.  If there's a lot of crap in the tank your new fuel filter could clog up very very fast (ditto small filter on the fuel distributor).  Keep us posted, good luck and cheers,

I have a friend assisting me tomorrow to empty the fuel tank and remove it in order to get the tank acid dipped, inspected and repainted. We'll also remove the fuel delivery system for refurbishment while the tank is off, insert the blocks in the suspension and take out the battery, vacuum out the engine compartment dust.

In addition, I removed the air cleaner unit in order to inspect the oxidation under better lighting, and generally clean it up as it was fairly grubby with dust and oil, plus the disintegrated bonnet liner (factory original crumbly biscuit!)

I have used a warm water solution of Decon 90 degreasing surfactant cleaner (designed for laboratory instruments and glass, safe on mild steel) and a blue 3M non-scratch scrubby pad. The metal is coming up nicely after a bit of a clean. I'll send it off for proper stripping and painting in matte black (matched to the original) when I take the fuel tank. The seal at the bottom of the air cleaner also needs replacing as it is bent and no longer pliable, (is it √úro PN# 0010942280?)

The yellow Zinc plating on the air cleaner has come up like new using the Decon so I'm confident I can get a lot of the other parts looking nice and clean with some work in the future.

NB: Decon can be aggressive and should never be used on Aluminium (contains Potassium hydroxide).
Test Drive / Re: New to me 450 SEs
Last post by thomasfrank - 18 November 2022, 01:39 AM
I didn't expect such a coincidence to happen.
Mechanicals / Re: High control pressure
Last post by Feather535 - 17 November 2022, 10:51 PM
Quote from: revilla on 15 November 2022, 11:34 PMLet's be pragmatic about it and let your test tell you if the TTS commands the CSV to open (spray) and closes (with zero leaking) after about 8 seconds. Can you confirm that before moving ahead with the "book" approach? I haven't read the whole thread. How do we know it has high CP when cold? What bars values are you reading? 2bars? 3bars? Does it go higher (leaner) when passing from cold to warm (generally about 3-4 minutes of operation)? If so, to what value? 3.4? 3.8? 4.0?

The cold start valve doesn't leak; I tested that. I do want to retest the CSV in combination with the TTS, because the first results of that test weren't consistent.

The cold control pressure is the same as the system pressure, about 5.2 bar.  So is the warm control pressure.  So I think now that the lean running issue is likely to be related to the WUR or the return circuit.  Suggestions appreciated, as always.

Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by gurrier - 17 November 2022, 03:23 PM
Sorry original reply of mine was irrelevant.
Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - 17 November 2022, 01:22 PM
Done with welding!  Made a couple of characters from left over engine parts.
Mechanicals / Re: Rear auxiliary spring
Last post by rumb - 17 November 2022, 09:22 AM
What model car is this? Is there a option code on the radiator member for the springs? I can only guess it is a SA code special option or something added. Ive never seen those extra springs before. Do you know the delivery country of your car?
Mechanicals / Rear auxiliary spring
Last post by fichtl500 - 17 November 2022, 02:16 AM
Hi, I am looking for the number of the rear small helper spring. Unfortunately, the online catalogs are for a different version and I can't find mine. Unfortunately, one is cracked.

Interiors & Exteriors / Re: Rear window molding clips ...
Last post by rumb - 16 November 2022, 05:11 PM
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: Rear window molding clips ...
Last post by mbbenz - 16 November 2022, 01:08 PM
I actually was just looking for a post with some guidance on removing all the interior trim myself.  I think it probably needs to be removed, sorry i am not an expert this is my first attempt too.

The photo was after removal, my rubber seal was very rotten so I mostly cut it away and removed the glass.  I suspect the harder part is getting the new seal and glass back in.
Mechanicals / Re: High control pressure
Last post by revilla - 15 November 2022, 11:34 PM
Hi,

The purpose of the test procedure described was double. I thought it was obvious, but maybe not. My bad. It was to check the CSV sprays when pressure and 12V are applied, but ALSO very important to check it doesn't leak when pressure present but no power.  Essentially you want to check it opens and closes without leaking with and without 12V power applied. I didn't get that confirmation from your description. A leaking CSV is common and can be a real problem.  Also for the TTS, assuming it's ok because the "book" resistance values check ok is a big risk. Let's be pragmatic about it and let your test tell you if the TTS commands the CSV to open (spray) and closes (with zero leaking) after about 8 seconds. Can you confirm that before moving ahead with the "book" approach? I haven't read the whole thread. How do we know it has high CP when cold? What bars values are you reading? 2bars? 3bars? Does it go higher (leaner) when passing from cold to warm (generally about 3-4 minutes of operation)? If so, to what value? 3.4? 3.8? 4.0?
These are the figures that we need to help you. They are the ones "telling"us the story and thus the next actions to improve the current situation. Put the "book" aside for a minute and let's try to understand, with data, the actual conditions to determine the next steps.
Good luck.