News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

What have you done for your W116 today?

Started by BWalker82, 18 May 2011, 06:27 PM

Jan S

I did the return trip this weekend (see previous post). A total of 4.777 km (2.970 miles) since the car left home in May.

A fantastic driving machine, a pleasure to drive.

The fuel consumption for the return trip was 1,55 liter/10 km (15,2 mpg), which is very good and normal I would say for a 6.9 ... more so than 1,41 liter/10 kilometers (16,7 miles per gallon) I measured during the beginning of the trip in May.

A few issues require some attention:
1. Need a new power steering pump (I knew this before I started the trip)
2. Need new headlight bulbs
3. Check the front wheel bearing on the right side ... something is not right (grease has been coming out of the center cap, and traces of grease can be found on the lower parts of the two doors and the rear end of the car. This has never happened before)
4. A thorough wash and polish

Fall/Winter is coming, hence this was probably the last big tour this year.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

daantjie

Very nice consumption ;)   For the grease to come out from under the cap would be unusual as the fit of that grease cap is super tight but I guess not impossible.  Maybe the bearing is overheating and melting the grease into liquid form?  Likely you will have to completely strip out the bearing and have a look but my guess would be the bearing is cooking the grease out.  You can do a quick test after driving.  If the wheel is very hot to the touch after a drive then likely you have a bearing too tight (preload not set properly), or dragging caliper(or both of course).
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Neil4speed

I love to see these cars being used! That is excellent fuel consumption, your car must be pretty well dialed in to get that after 45 years!

Jan S

Quote from: Neil4speed on 17 September 2024, 09:59 AMI love to see these cars being used! That is excellent fuel consumption, your car must be pretty well dialed in to get that after 45 years!

Yes, very satisfied with fuel consumption. Either "well dialed in" (as you say) or something is not right (fuel distribution not properly working, .....)

Jan S

Quote from: daantjie on 16 September 2024, 05:24 PMVery nice consumption ;)   For the grease to come out from under the cap would be unusual as the fit of that grease cap is super tight but I guess not impossible.  Maybe the bearing is overheating and melting the grease into liquid form?  Likely you will have to completely strip out the bearing and have a look but my guess would be the bearing is cooking the grease out.  You can do a quick test after driving.  If the wheel is very hot to the touch after a drive then likely you have a bearing too tight (preload not set properly), or dragging caliper(or both of course).

Yes, agree ... I believe the bearing is cooking the grease. Could it be bearing too tight or too loose? Calipers are relatively new (3 years). I've been on long trips before, but this has never happened before. I will do the test you suggested.

daantjie

Likely too tight.  Regardless you'll have to strip it out then the correct way is to set the preload with a dial indicator but a lot of people just do it by feel though it takes experience of course.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

ramiro

Regarding the fuel consumption , i think it has to do with the driving in Norway my 6.9 also took around 15 liter per 100 km in Norway , but it also took 6 Hours to drive 350 KM  :D .
In Germany i usually get 18 - 25 L per 100 KM .