News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 bundts tyres
Last post by ramiro - Today at 08:30 AM
Hello,
I have the Maxilite wheels on my car with 225/60R15 , 225/55 would be to small 60 is nearly the same size as original just 6 mm less diameter.

You can also look at w126 for that one Mercedes also lists 225/60 R15 as a replacment for the R14 tires for all engines.
https://www.w126-wiki.de/images/0/0d/Rad-Reifen-W126.pdf

Officialy Mercedes lists 215/65 R15 as allowed for the w116 6.9.
https://forum.mercedesclub.de/wcf/index.php?attachment/54514-s-klasse-typ116-100316-pdf/
Mechanicals / 6.9 bundts tyres
Last post by BCK1963 - Today at 07:18 AM
Hello,

it is about time to re-start that topic  :) .
Currently I am running original R14 bundts with Cooper Cobra 215 tyres. Not great but enough within the limits and restrictions of swiss motorways.

Since the tyres begin to get uncomfortable after appr. 8 years I am considering to switch to R15 Maxilite barock bundts with 215 or 225 R15 tyres.

Attached / upper is an approval from authority called 'Test Laboratory South', the significance of which I need to find more about. This approval is distributed from Maxilite.

The approval refers to the correct engine power, though it does not particularly list the 6.9.
Furthermore it lists two tyre sizes which seem strange to me. In particular the 225 / 55 R15 is a size for which I am unable to find any tyres.

Attached / lower is a chart from a database called 'tyre sizes',   www.reifen-groessen.de.  It seems more reasonable in the 6.9 case.

I plan to approach the Swiss TÜV / Technical authority guys and check what is possible with them.

My question to you:
What are common tyre sizes on the Maxilite barock 7x15 bundt? Tyre load demand is 96.

Thanks in advance and regards     Bernd
Shop / Re: The day has come: Goldie i...
Last post by adamb - Yesterday at 04:49 PM
If you don't need to sell to get the money then just enjoy the amazing well sorted 116 that you've created. They are a rare sight as you know well.
Mechanicals / Re: Bushings for shift linkage
Last post by Feather535 - 25 February 2024, 09:27 PM
Thanks everyone.  I'll replace the two missing ones in the tunnel first and then look at the ones in the shifter housing.
Mechanicals / Re: Help, fuel issue
Last post by daantjie - 25 February 2024, 01:33 PM
Nice 8)
Yup I've found that that 6.9 hunk of metal takes a LONG time to fully warm up.  Helps too if your cooling system is working properly which I'm sure yours is.
Shop / Re: The day has come: Goldie i...
Last post by rumb - 25 February 2024, 01:22 PM
Its a tough decision to let a long owned car go. As we get on we have to start deciding what you really enjoy and can also keep up with maintenance. 

Im sure you will get many more smiles per mile with yours!
Mechanicals / Re: Help, fuel issue
Last post by rumb - 25 February 2024, 12:54 PM
Went thru diagnosis chart and everything passed, but still no volt at pump,  Went looking for trunk branch wire harness connector and saw the ground point that is behind passenger seats on right side and the brown wire bundle was just loosely attached.  Tightened up nut and bolt and car started.  ;D

Copious smoke, Im hoping just because it sat so long and I porbably dumped a lot of fuel in the intake.  Will run more later to see it it clears up when the engine gets warm.

Also even though I added a couple gallons of fresh fuel, what comes out is still yellow, though not as stinky as just the old gas was.  I guess 6 year old gas doesnt burn that great. :o
Test Drive / Re: Considering buying this 6....
Last post by daantjie - 25 February 2024, 12:07 PM
For sure decent 116's are getting thin on the ground.  6.9's even more so. This one was the last one listed on BAT and that was Nov 2023.
Last post by Eyeman - 25 February 2024, 12:02 PM
I'd do the same in this case also Sirma.  To me you try to leave perfect collector car as stock as possible.  My car is a Euro and has Lorinser "bumpers", so I plan to go back to stock Euro bumpers.

I bought my 6.9 in 1994, it was not that unusual back then.  Now I do not remember seeing a W116 on the road in a decade or so.  If I see an old Mercedes it's usually a W126.  The funny one is there is a guy I always see going the opposite way from me that daily drives a W108 or something more from that time frame.
Last post by sirmathrocks - 25 February 2024, 09:18 AM
I read older posts on this. The front bumper replacement is definitely not plug and play. I am going to leave the car as is for now.
Yes the US style bumpers are ugly for sure but overall the car still looks good and I have never seen any 450sel on the road let alone a 6.9. These are definitely a sight to behold.
I want to get my 6.3 and 6.9 together and take a few pics...that will be something!