News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Some pictures of my 6.9

Started by Des, 29 December 2006, 11:27 PM

Des

For anyone interested I have uploaded some images I took this morning of my 6.9 they are available here in the gallery:

http://gallery.w116.org/v/show_room/des450SEL69/?g2_enterAlbum=1

oscar

Des, I don't think we've seen pics of your car apart from the original purchase ones. 

I had a look at some of the hi-res pics and have to say you've picked up a great example.  Though you're parking made me think of BigR's thread :D . Nonetheless, whilst not out to nit-pic, I can't see a blemish to the exterior.

What have you had done to it since you've had it?  I know you've said it's been to the shop to get jobs done, I just can't remember to what extent.  Very nice car.  Almost forgot, where's the AMG spoiler?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

behrthermostat

Great pics!  Hopefully mine would look mint like yours in the near future.  Of course since yours is a 6.9, that's the best!    ;)

Des

thanks for the comments guys, yeah I nearly drowned in my car after the sunroof opened the flood gates

Oscar; some of the major things that have been done, one of the front struts replaced, new windscreen, headlight wipers and motors fitted (thanks Styria) self levelling valves have been reconditioned, rust removed from within sunroof and behind windscreen, gear bushes in the transmission replaced, 2 of the break calipers were sized when i got it, so they have been rebuilt, front ball joints done with the assembly's, trans cooler lines replaced, trans kick down replaced, new window motors in the front doors, new window switches, new front indicators, fitted new under bonnet padding,

had a major service 2 months ago, all fluids, filters changed etc.

I'm still a long way off from where I would be stress free and happy with my 6.9, don't get me wrong its a great car, I love driving it, but I just want to raise the condition of the car.

This week it is going in to get the air cells and the timing chain done, going to replace all the rails/glides,

next major job then will be the dash replacement and all new wood pieces and dash switches. As the dash has several nasty cracks and most of the switches the print on them has faded somewhat. 

The AMG front spoiler is sitting in my shed, I also picked up recently a rear boot spoiler as well, trying to obtain some side skirts and the rear under bumper one too.

Then it will be a matter of sourcing some 300SD light weight panels and fitting them all up.

Des

Quote from: behrthermostat on 30 December 2006, 09:35 AM
Great pics!  Hopefully mine would look mint like yours in the near future.  Of course since yours is a 6.9, that's the best!    ;)

mate, although the 6.9 is the top w116 model, I think condition of a car is more important than having a top model, I used to own a W123 230E that was mint, I really mean mint condition, it looked and drove as good as the day it rolled out of Stuttgart, the paint was unmarked, seats didn't sag, they were unmarked, no scratches on the windscreen, really was a concours car. Now I would rather own a car like that, than a higher model than is in average or poor condition.

Mforcer

Great looking car Des!

Quote from: Des on 30 December 2006, 03:22 PM
Then it will be a matter of sourcing some 300SD light weight panels and fitting them all up.

Where will you be sourcing the aluminium panels? I would love to see more of these panels made available outside the USA.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Des

Quote from: Mforcer on 31 December 2006, 06:24 PM
Great looking car Des!

Quote from: Des on 30 December 2006, 03:22 PM

Where will you be sourcing the aluminum panels? I would love to see more of these panels made available outside the USA.

Haven't given it much thought, ebay maybe?

If I went into an MB dealer with a VIN code from an American 300SD and asked for a bonnet, boot and fuel tank bulkhead I am guessing they are going to give me some ridiculous price for them.

Might also talk to one of the larger American parts importers, seems to be a fairly large business importing LHD mustangs and old Chevy's into Australia, surely wouldn't cost too much for them to slip some panels into their shipping containers for me.