News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

small steering wheel (eg AMG)

Started by AMG69, 06 December 2006, 09:35 PM

AMG69

:P OK, after driving along the Perth freeway last night (down to Baldivis for WA people) I am finally saying "thats it" to the AMG steering wheel.  Without cruise control its almost impossible to maintain the speedlimit when your available speedo digits are 20,40,60 and 220, 240 and 260.  I clarified with Belinda (member of WA Police and wife  :-\) and she assured me Mr Plod would not accept inability to see the 100kmhr mark as a reasonable excuse for speeding at 200....so, that's it, its back to the Bus Wheel - albeit with an AMG badge in the middle  ;)

One beaut new restored leather and all AMG steering wheel for the Bar....!

cheers!
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

Mforcer

I'm still sticking with my smaller AMG wheel. Feels so much nicer than the thin rimmed original. I do think about returning to the original but I would need to redo the rim so it is thicker and wrapped in leather. We just need some other way to determine speed ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

Determing speed is easy. When the tacho is hard on 7000 you can't go any faster.
Blue lights? No; just worry about the red warning ones on the dash....
Regards,
Brian

Mforcer

That is the way I have been approaching the situation :P

The only trouble is that traffic in Sydney makes it very difficult to hit that red line! ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Des

Chris, would you consider parting with that nice AMG wheel?

Your car doesn't have cruise control or it just doesn't work?

AMG69

Des, I'll keep the wheel as it cost an arm and a leg to buy and restore (the new leather alone was a couple of hundred aussie dollars).

After two years of no central locking I now have that fixed and working "as new"  ;D

Next huge challenge is fixing Cruise Control; as my Learned Friend (Big R) keeps reminding me I have some "dodgy electrics" in my car!!

Cheers

Chris
sigh....sitting back contemplating the next purchase..!

oscar

What's the diameter? AMG=380mm, standard=410mm?  I think that's about right.  Was there a 410mm AMG wheel?

Also was there two thicknesses in grip on the standard.  My 350 unadaulterated wheel felt thick, a spare I wrapped in leather felt thick before the mod and much better after it.  The 280 and another spare both feel thin as though they've dehydrated and shrunk in the sun.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Des

Most GPS / sat nav devices have a indication of how fast you are going, which is more accurate than the Mercedes speedometer anyway, you can use the supplied brackets to mount these in the corner near the windscreen piller and wouldn't need to look down at the instruments, well just the fuel gauge.  ;D