News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Newbie saying hello

Started by NormW116, 31 October 2012, 07:03 AM

NormW116

Hi fellow W116 fans! I just thought I would introduce myself and more importantly... my W116 project!

It's actually my dad's car, which he bought, as a young man, back in 1980... one year before I was born. Sadly it's been off the road since about 1996, and sat in a garage since then. However, it's a car we both have a real connection with, like it's part of the family and it's that car that got me into Mercedes as a make, and turned me into a petrol-head in general I suppose. So although it makes no economic sense to restore it, it's got real sentimental value. Now that I'm slowing starting to gain a little more experience working on cars... or maybe just feeling a bit more brave, I'm going to set about trying to get it to fire up!

I've bought a fuel pump and full fuel pump assembly off German ebay which looks pretty good and i have added a new fuel filter. Unfortunately the fuel tank must be all gunked up and rusty so the next task is to remove and refurb it.

It's gonna be a massive project to get the car back on the road, and more than my dad and I can handle really, but I'm looking forward to making a start, just take it step by step and see what happens.

I've always been a big Mercedes fan and currently drive a W126 300SE (manual).

I'll have to see about posting some photos of the W116 on here as well.

Cheers
Norm

Tony66_au

Welcome Norm!

There is no making sense of this hobby BTW but you will find good sources of great priced new parts here though!

Piccies if you have em are great too!

adamb

Hi Norm. Nice to have another Britisher on the forum. You can make us all really excited by telling us what model it is and by posting some pictures.  :)

NormW116

Thanks guys. Sorry I totally forgot to write the model didn't I. It's a 280SE manual. (1977). I'll get some pics posted soon.

NormW116

Here are some photos. To be honest, they make it look like it's in better shape than it really is.

NormW116

Tony66_au

The old girl doesnt look too bad Norm but even in good nick they tend to need work on a regular basis.

The advantages of being here though are that there is excellent info both tech and otherwise as well as knowledge about cheap parts sources internationally available.

We also have a few members with 280's who have recently been working on em so theres plenty of detailed threads about.

nathan

Hi norm. I like a sentimental resto, good luck.Cool interior Colour! I imagine in your area the interior condition has remained well. Odd after market alloy imitation wheels too! I'd keep an eye out for a cheap wreck to get all those bits u need. And keep that original Becker radio too!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

JasonP

Hi norm!

That car looks nice!

My sister just bought a 1977 280 E and I am helping her out with it. I'm kind of a newbie myself.

We have almost the same engine, so perhaps we will be sharing tips soon. She also has that rust over the rear wheel, I would like to get that patched up right quick as well.

Anyway, you came to the right place. These guys are tops in knowledge and experience, and everyone here is always helpful.

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

nathan

now i get it, those alloys arent alloys, they are the imitation plastic hubcaps arent they!! (well thats what they look like to me)
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

gf

Hey Norm! Welcome! Cool interior!These cars are fun- or maybe its the org that makes it fun, knowing you're not alone in restoration challenges. Without this forum Id be flapping about trying to work out which mechanic was right- So far of 3 mechanics I saw none could help, or led me in the wrong direction. However W116 members have come to the rescue every time. I like the XJ in the background too!

NormW116

Thanks so much for the warm welcome guys, and the nice comments on the car. I'll probably need all the help I can get and start annoying you all with my questions!

Quite right, those are steel wheels with imitation hubcaps. I'll be replacing them with alloys wheels though.

Thankfully the interior is indeed in pretty good shape. The cloth bits on the seats are a bit worn of course, but nothing too crazy.

I like the idea of doing as much as I can on the car myself. Like a labour of love you might say, it sort of means more than just taking it somewhere for professionals to work on. Of course there is going to be a limit to how much I can do, but I'll do as much as possible and I'm sure I'll learn plenty along the way!

I imagine rusty old bolts will be a regular problem, but I've got plenty of WD40, Plug Gas and this other spray my garage recommended, and an angle grinder, plus those Irwin bolt removers so hopefully all that will help.

gf - good spot on the XJ, that's also my dad's which he bought in 1996. I do like Jags too (not sure I should say than on a Merc forum..)

KenM

Welcome Norm, I just noticed in the pics that the car is LHD, you will need to watch that when looking for some parts, some are left or right hand drive specific.

Good luck with it,

NormW116

Quote from: KenM on 01 November 2012, 04:47 AM
Welcome Norm, I just noticed in the pics that the car is LHD, you will need to watch that when looking for some parts, some are left or right hand drive specific.

Good luck with it,

Good point. I'd heard the exhaust is different as well, but wasn't sure why that would be or if indeed it's true?

Unfortunately there are very few W116s in the UK so second hand parts can be hard to find. But German ebay will also be handy I'm sure.

BTW - is your avatar Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad... Love it!!

zook

nice car! you could stick some proper M110 headers on if its LHD, ahhhh

is she 4 or 5 speed?
[url=http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/1978-mercedes-benz-280s-'amg'-4spd-manual/]| '78 280S 'AMG' 4spd |[/url] [url=http://ozfoz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=34858]| my daily; '98 Subaru Forester |[/url]