News:

The ORG - No back-slapping boys club!

Main Menu

My fleet has doubled.

Started by oscar, 25 November 2006, 06:20 AM

oscar

Went to Canberra today to pick up my new 116. It's a 75 280S.  In short, doesn't go, really good cream interior, a few dents here and there, bought as a spares car but gee, I knew as soon as I got another for parts I'd be getting another project.  Everything is there, it's got potential.  Just have to find out why the motor is rooted.  Apparently fires on the 6th cylinder, the other 5 are down to 20% compression.  I've yet to give it a thorough checking out, been driving for 10hrs, but I'll be sure to ask Q's when I do.

280S behind the Territory at Temora

280S behind the Territory at Temora

Close to dusk, the 280s behind the 350se in Griffith. Had to swap cars with the missus. Be buggered if I'd let the 350 stay in carpark overnight on a Saturday whilst the wife works the dogwatch. Oh yeah, also shamelessly wanted to create a talking point for any onlooker for the last few km home.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

mirafioriman

That is not a parts car! A car in that condition in the UK would fetch serious money. Compared to most of the W116's we have here that looks really tidy. No way should you break it, get it running!
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

oscar

Really! Even if the motor may need stripping.  Shite, that's not what the seller wants to hear. I gave him the forum's address so he could see what happens to it :-\.  I don't think it's a parts car either but then again, I am biased.  "w116 wrecking" isn't in my vocabulary or even a term I understand.  I've bid on worse that I've wanted to take on as a foster car.

My idea was to eventually get my car into near concourse shape and compete, using the best bits of others in my 350.  Realistically, unless parts like chromework are redone or bought new, the look I'm after isn't going to happen.  The big problem with this car is the motor.  If it was in perfect running condition, I still think you'd have a hard time getting upto $2000AUD in Oz at least.  From watching countless ads, ebay, etc disregarding the 6.9, the higher prices are for the later model 280sels and 450sels.  Here I believe there's a bigger demand for V8's and electric inclusions, sunroof etc.

I'll admit the photos look bloody good, but up close and being fussy like I am, there's a fair bit of work to fill the bumps.  Whilst the paint on the 280 looks good in the pics it's becoming soft or degrading.  I polished a couple of spots and found my applicator pad turned red.  I think it could be saved with a rub back and a seal and do well to hide the faults and blemishes and do wonders for the appearance.  Only the sticklers, like myself, for detail would look close enough.  Chrome bumpers are pretty good but the part I really want is the rear long bit under the number plate.  This one unfortunately has about three knocks in the back, some pitting at the joins and a hammertone appearance just left of centre.

The engine, I got no idea what's wrong with it.  I'll definitely give it a go fixing it.  I'd love to try out a carburetted 280.  The seller told me it had a Holley carb, I thought it should be a Solex carb.  Under the bonnet on the carb are the letters "HOLLEY made in USA".  What's doing there??  Is solex a holley product??

The seller was reluctant to sell and loved the car but was left with the decision to foot a big bill to recondition/repair/replace the motor, or sell.  Unless things are working, most are scared to buy for fear of the bill for mercedes parts or service which need not be that big.   I've had an offer for a motor but i don't know what I'm doing.  I'd have to pay somebody in the know to change over.  I'll do my best to get it going again but when the problems are diagnosed, I may find myself in the same boat.   Some more pics.

The worst part by far. Not indicative of the rest of the car. Some cracked and missing bog and a big dent.  Both front doors have broken check straps, but thankfully, neither door is showing signs of being hyperextended

The engine

mirafioriman

The problem we have here in the UK is rust, particularly the structural variety. I do nearly all work on my old cars myself, firstly because I enjoy it and secondly because labour is so expensive here that I have to, to be able to afford to do what I do. Repairing or replacing the engine would be a relatively straightforward task. The cars for sale here nearly always need rust repair and repainting rather than mechanical work. If there are dents etc at least you can use the car and do it bit by bit.
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

Mforcer

Nice looking 'parts' car you picked up. What colour is it? Looking forward to seeing what you make of it! I like the 350 towing the 280 too :P

The photos also show a nice town in the background... not to derail this thread but perhaps we can have a trip out your way next year :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

oscar

Hi Mforcer.  I haven't looked at the colour code yet but I told my wife the colour was Mforcer Red.  It looks similar doesn't it?  Temora's the town and has some beautiful old buildings and houses in the main street and beyond.  I hope the airshow meet happens.  We'll definitely work on a time in the new year.

Mirafioriman, after nutz posted that humourous benzworld thread of the disgruntled RHD 280S owner, I went for a bit of a surf and found your links to the w126 resto and I take my hat off to you for a fine job.  Not only that, I saw the 6.9 pushing up dasies and your plans to bring it to life again.  Like many, I'll be keen to see how that work unfolds and wish you all the best.  As much as I'd like to spend today under the bonnet, kids' sporting events demand my attention and if I don't go now I'll get shot.

nathan

that is a nice straight looking car from your pics!
congrats...im just laughing thinkning how a parts car becomes another project - my wife knows that one!
regards
nathan
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

s class

The red car does look good.  Just look at that engine bay.  The engine should't cost too much to rebuild.  I did a thorough rebuild of my 280SE engine for about ZAR14000, that's about AUS$2,500.  The 280S is an interesting car.  Its quicker around town than a 280SE beause it has a wild 4.1 diff ratio.  But that also makes it rev high on the open road, where its a lot more uncouth and less refined than the 280SE.  The white parts car I killed a few months ago was a 280S, which was running when I got it but it had huge gaping rust holes everywhere and some substantial accident damage.  Trim was in a terrible condition and the interior made me want to shower after being inside. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

According to the paintscratch site sclass posted in another thread, this one's paint code is 516G medium red.

About towing.  The trailer was hired for I think $120 for 36hrs.  A fella I know in Wagga has a couple of 1927 chev's and told me he got a trailer in Campbelltown for around $1200 including rego.  That was good value and seeing it a few weeks ago, it was as solid as the one you see pictured.  The Territory performed well with it's >2000kg weight and AWD, just wish we upgraded to load levelling, not that it dramatically squatted or scrubbed over bumps.  There was a lot of weight on the towball and had we loaded the 280 differently (set back a little more), the downforce would have been less.  Notice the trailer's axles are set back somewhat.  The 350 on the other hand was sluggish but still towed capably but I think the downforce was too much for the rear hydro setup. The 3km trip home with the 350 had a funny sweet smell eminate from somewhere.  The engine was really hot, couldn't touch the hydro oil tank, yet I couldn't detect where the smell came from.  There seems to be no problem with the 350 at the moment.

s class

Oscar, I have been reflecting on your engine options. 

Obviously repairing the existing engine is going to be the simplest.  Even fitting a 280SE engine will be a little troublesome, but not too difficult.  You would have to contend with the fact that you don't have an electric fuel pump or HP filter, different fuel line plumbing and a different diff ratio. 

Going to a V8 will be more of a challenge as I listed in my other post, but there wouldn't be too much difference starting with a 280S vs a 280SE.

On the topic of rebuilding M110 twincams, I must caution you to take note of where the engine number is located.  For those not familiar with the M110, it is on an extension of the block face, and when assembled it appears just next to the side of the head on the left hand side.  When my engine was rebuilt, the block face was skimmed, almost completely obliterating the engine number.  The catch here is the "almost" part, because without informing me the workshop restamped the number, and under close inspection now it appears double stamped.  I was furious.  Its a problem I still don't know how to solve. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Andrew116

Quote from: s class on 28 November 2006, 02:03 AM
The catch here is the "almost" part, because without informing me the workshop restamped the number, and under close inspection now it appears double stamped.  I was furious.  Its a problem I still don't know how to solve. 

Ryan

Well, Ryan,
Have you tried to delete the number and restamp it?
I used to do this when changing engineblocks (illegally  ;D) so I didn't have to pay the state for the change. ::)
Don't know if that helps, but... what the h**l - give it a try  ;)
'Till next time, Andrew