News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

I might buy a 6.9 ?

Started by s class, 08 September 2006, 09:45 AM

s class

I've mentioned that here in South Africa 6.9's are like hens teeth.  There seriously are only like 4 or 5 in the country.  THats a problem for a would-be buyer.  ABout 6 weeks ago I spotted one in a parking lot (I had to look 3 times before I believed my eyes).  Yes it was a 6.9 - I could see the alloy sump.  I left a purchase offer on the windscreen in vain hope.  Never heard from the guy and forgot about it.  This morning he phoned me.  It turns out he wasn't planning to sell the car, but now he is probably emmigrating.  I will go and see the car next week.  He has owned it since 1982.  It has only 160 000km, but I don't think its been as well looked after as it might have been.  From memory of what I saw, my impression was that it was free from accident or rust in the standard places, but was cosmeticlaly a little tatty.  (needs a respray, split dashboard (but OK the South African sun is very harsh so this is to be expected).

From peering under the engine bay, I got the impression that the car was more of a daily driver than a treasured posession.  Nonetheless, the owner tells me its had all 5 spheres replaced which is a good sign.

Problem.  For reasons of finance, space and spousal acceptance, one of my existing fleet must go.  The W140 can't go because I need it for transport and I need its higher value for tax purposes.  The R107 is an option.  It would raise more than enough to buy the 6.9 and spend a bit on it, but I fear that 10 years from now I would kick myself because SL's are more likely to appreciate / hold value than other Benzes.  I could sell my W116 280SE, but that would leave a big shortfall in required funds.  Hmm.  What to do. 

I can take donations?

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

It's true sl's are worth more and may appreciate but if I was to own a two door benz coupe or convertible a 107 wouldn't be it I'm sorry.  Just my opinion Ryan but 107's I've never warmed up to.  That being the case I know which one of your merc's I'd part with. ;D

Hope that helps  ???

The owner's not emigrating to Perth is he? Like so many others.  :D 

So space and finances are the major drawbacks!
Are you sure there's not enough room?  How about the spot occupied by the RIP 280s.
Re the finances, although I can't donate, on behalf of 116ers worldwide you have our blessing to obtain a car loan to fund this 6.9 investment. Those suggestions should take care of spousal disapproval. ;)
Good luck with your pursuit of the 6.9.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Oscar,

Thanks for your encouragement.  I have mentioned on this forum in the past that I too am not too fond of the R107's handling, and consider the W116 a superior vehicle.  R107's are plentiful here in South Africa, but GOOD ones are not, and mine is staight, accident free, mechanically very sound.  Its the only car I have that doesn't need much work.  Cosmetically its fantastic with a new (genuine) soft-top and recent (good) respray.  And its red and chicks dig it.  But that's too bad because I only got it now that I'm married.  My wife gave it to me as a gift, so that's a further complication in the spousal approval department. 

Hmmm

And no the recently departed 280S doesn't help with space since that was anyway lying outside in the weather, and I wouldn't put any of my real cars outside.  Now about that garage space occupied by the wifes Opel.  Ooh no thats hallowed ground.  I can't touch that - and I have promised her that she will always have her garage. 

I dig fatherpierre's signature about "buy a car and you won't have money" or something like that.  true enuff

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Des

In my humble opinion in 10 years time a well kept 6.9 will be worth more than a 107,

Look at the prices riseing on 6.3's and the original 600's

Have you considered selling the wife? Sounds like that would solve several problems,

;D

s class

Well I've been relfecting on these problems this weekend.  I have been very tied up at work the last month so the fleet has been languishing without regular drives.  I went for a blast in my retored Ford XR3.  Man it is crude, but oh what fun. Then I went out in the 450SL.  It looks sooo good the thought of selling it almost made me cry.  But then again its not a lot less crude than the Ford and not a lot quicker either.  THen shot out in the W140.  Thats just fantabulous. Couldn't drive the W116 because it still has steering box problems (which I've now solved!) I will post on that tomorrow.  I guess this weekend has been something akin to choosing which of your children would have to go.  But then I think about that 6.9 and how I would rebuild it from the ground up and how fun that would be.

Basicaly I've decided that if this 6.9 is free from major accident, and the 6.9 specific stuff (engine and suspension) are OK, then I must go for it and be done with the 450SL.  THere will always be another one of those around. If I ever got another R107 it would be a 280SL manual, not another V8.

Ryan

michaeld

S Class,
Since I've never been too terribly fond of 450SLs either (one of my first girlfriend's - who was a rich daddy's girl - had one and she turned out to be such a self-aggrandizing life-sucking ***** that I continue to shudder at anything I associate w/ her to this day!), I'm glad you sold your SL and not your SE.

The real reason I'm posting to this discussion, however, is to laugh at the picture Styria's comment created in my mind's eye, of a husband telling his wife, "You're the only one I love, dear, but I had to get a mistress in order to increase my available garage accomodations!"  We can probably agree that that excuse could be round-filed with all the other reasons men have come up with to have mistresses.

I agree w/ the consensus opinion, and add this caveat: if there are only a few 6.9s in all of S.Africa, then I would think that that fact alone will quite possibly increase the value of the 6.9 dramatically.  That would be one more argument for the wife, if you haven't used it already. 

Best of luck with your wife; she actually sounds like a saint to tolerate your "love affair" with the mechanical beauties.  My brother's wife once complained to me about all the cars he had (a 64 Thunderbird Landau, a 65 T-bird convertible, a 56 Ford F-150 truck, a 55 Chevy Nomad wagon, plus their two late model daily drivers) until I explained to her what a great hobby it is for a husband and father.  I told her that it keeps him around the house instead of out galavanting around, and provides an occasion to bond over man-stuff w/ his son.  The logic must have won her over; she started buying him his tools for gift-occasions thereafter.

s class

Michaeld,

Thanks.  Its not yet definate that I will get the car.  I have not been to do a proper inspection yet as the owner has postponed again until next week.  I'm not in a position to put pressure on him as he is not desperate to sell. 

So I've kept busy reading up about all things 6.9 related and I've visualised how it might stand in my garage. 

Indeed my wife is a fabulous girl.  I look after her properly and in exchange I can play cars as much as I like.  I have not raised the topic of the 6.9 with her yet as I thought that would prematurely cause stress.  I will only raise the subject if I do decide that I must buy the car.  Then I will apply for approval, and within the half-hour conclude the purchase.  If the purchase isn't going to happen, I need never stress her out with discussing it. 

Ryan

Des

Ryan another good place to read up on 6.9's, is the M100 group:

http://www.m-100.cc/forum/default.asp

s class

Tomorrow I go and meet the owner of the 6.9 for a test drive.  I have sweaty palms.  If it proves suitable for purchase, my life will become very uncomfortable. 

alabbasi

So did you pull the trigger?
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

s class

Al,

The uniform concensus of this learned grou was that the car was too rusty and certainly too expensive.  See this thread here where I reported back on my impressions after the testdrive :

http://forum.w116.org/index.php/topic,801.0.html

I'm still looking, and wondering what to do.  Work is so hectic, I really cant do anything until next year. 

Ryan