News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

A good day in Sydney

Started by beagle2022, 20 June 2012, 07:33 PM

beagle2022

This is probably the only place where my enthusiasm will be understood. Yesterday I had two significant W116 moments:

1. Chance meeting with a 1979 450sel in as-new condition with only 57,000 kms on the clock.  A good conversation with the owner who bought it two years ago from the original one.  Immaculate full leather interior, beautiful timber work, unmarked paint, no rust.  A complete dream.  Silver with light tan interior.  Sunroof and power windows.  Only problems concern decaying rubber bits like the windscreen seals.

2. An hour later I saw a beautiful dark blue 450sel 6.9 stuck in traffic.  Excellent cosmetic appearance and it sounded in great mechanical condition.  No smoke as it drove off.  Young family inside and apparently a daily driver with a young mother at the wheel,

Back to repairing bent window regulators on mine.....
Sydney, Australia

Tony66_au

LOL Sounded like a good day!

I cant go for a drive without seeing a W116 in some form although usually parked.

I was at Aldi in Morwell a few months ago and saw 3 of the buggers pretty much within moments of each other and it put a smile on my face for a few days even though one of them was satin black with very dark tint.

Mforcer

We all understand. I have severe withdrawal symptoms and every sighting gets my full attention :)

What I don't understand myself is that while I certainly admire and appreciate an immaculate car, it is the family using it as the daily driver that really puts a smile on my face. The thought of not using my car with all my family makes me sad. That family is living life and making memories with the best car in the world ;)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

foss

I always get a buz when I see another w116 especially a 6.9, no matter what condition. :)

By the way Tony any damage from the earthquake?
1979 450sel 6.9 SOLD BACK TO ROBERT D.
2002 745i
1978 450sel 148,000kms SOLD
2004 S430
2019 S350D AMG line

Tony66_au

Quote from: foss on 21 June 2012, 03:23 AM
I always get a buz when I see another w116 especially a 6.9, no matter what condition. :)

By the way Tony any damage from the earthquake?

Nothing I could see Foss but I am literally 15 km from the epicentre as the crow flies.

The news services all say Moe blah blah but it was actually between Trafalgar and Thorpedale, It actually felt like a 6.5 (I have been in quakes before OS) but my home is on stumps and timber framed.

On the bright side it freed up a few stuck windows and doors but the hose was really moving and I timed and retraced my steps and it looks like the initial quake was a good 50-55 seconds of shake rattle n roll.

All Mercedes escaped unscathed :-)

Kjhall65

Good to hear all is good down your way after the quake Tony.  After living in Tokyo for three years as a kid they are pretty easy to pick when they start. We have had a couple of small ones here in the past month. 

Back on topic, I saw a beautiful '74 450 SEL silver with black leather yesterday.  It was immaculate.  Not a sight you see around Canberra much these days. 116s have really dried up around here in recent yrs :) I guess that makes it all the more exciting when one appears :)

Ken