News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Vacuum advance unit/s

Started by oscar, 19 January 2007, 09:47 AM

oscar

It was a topic that come up some time ago regarding repairing them.   On a search for trigger point costs I just found you can buy replacement single and double can advance units.  And gee, don't they look good new.

http://www.mercedesparts.com/epcvsoapimc.epc?cookieID=1ZW0JYL3O1ZW0KGC1U&drillid=8&subcatid=801079@@Ignition+System&clientid=mercedespart
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

I'm sure my 280S had a vacuum unit, but I think it was the single can variety. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

That's interesting. 

Sometimes those parts lists on those US sites are wrong IMO.  I always check out AutohausAZ for prices and pics but they don't have everything and sometimes a common part like a grill moulding will be listed for a 77 450se but not a 73 280S.  I couldn't find any dual cans at all on their site.

Regarding the advance units, my 350 has a dual can and if looking down at the dizzy from the front, the linkage goes thru the dizzy housing at about 4-5 o'clock. A w108 350 dizzy that styria leant me had a single can advance unit with the armature going thru the dizzy at about 1-2 o'clock.  To me it would seen the 108 350's dizzy would retard unless it spins the opposite way. I doubt it, but I couldn't really work that one out. Suck on the advance attachment and the baseplate would move clockwise.  On the w116 350, the linkage moves the baseplate counterclockwise.

The 280S is supposed to have a single can unit (according to manual) but my distributor is a replacement (PO said so) from a 280se k-jet I assume.  No trigger points, screw down cap not clip type, and has a dual can unit with only the advance attached and retard capped.  I did plan on replacing the 350's can with the 280S' but I need to put them both on the bench and compare.

Just realised they do sell three types for this particular 450. Only two pics though. BTW Pat, still can't find an obscure website that has 4 wire igniton lead holders.  :D But I'm still looking.
1973 350SE, my first & fave