News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Todays casual spannering

Started by Big_Richard, 13 June 2009, 04:04 AM

Big_Richard

I decided to install the new w116 ATE front caliper utilising the custom stainless brake hose and the new w126 brake wear sensor connection harness.

It all fits on there perfectly, the length of the cable is also perfect. The only non issue is there is a moulded on section where a clip is obviously placed in a w126. The w116 has a plastic clip at the brake line connection anyway which works with the cable so it does not matter in the slightest. A very successful retrofit indeed.

While doing this i also decided to install the new anodised trim pieces for above the indicators and headlights, they are just as liquid silvery as the bumpers. Awesome. The cars also very dirty.  ;)

In the next couple weeks ill be installing the otherside all new as well.

Then its off to get a wheel alignment (everything is new, front and rear)

I can then proceed to go for a decent test drive... before finding something else to replace  ::)

TJ 450

Now that's impressive! Your car's handling is going to be very responsive. ;)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Hemersam

Beautiful work, Patrick . . . and a beautiful car, indeed. BTW, where do you get the anodised grille and headlight pieces and are they terribly expensive?
Hemersam

nathan

those calipers certainly look slick.
however, why couldnt you drive the car into your living room for the obligatory carpet shot?
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

oscar

Looking stunning PB  8)

Ditto about the trim pieces, particularly the eyebrows, where do you get 'em?  I think I've only seen one set on a car that wasn't sandblasted.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Big_Richard

the problem is now, i can never drive the car again, because those peices are bloody expensive and will get distroyed as soon as the car goes on the road with other cars  ::)

I got them from world impex parts, they have a minimum postage fee of $75US to australia, and use couriers :( (not DHL) but you can search using MB part numbers. One should email them for availability before assuming just because it shows up in the search, the part is available ;)

Calipers are all on autohouse, genuine new ATE is cheaper than ive seen them refurbished elsewhere.

WGB

Beautiful work - but it's too clean to drive PB.

Needs to be parked over a mirror ;D

Bill

SELfor50

Looks sweet as PB.  If possible can you please pm me the contact details for the SS hoses??  It's gotta be done..

Are the calipers, actual brand new or reco'd??

I love the black grill.. it's sweet.

Are you gonna treat the ol' girl to some new rotors at some point??  Maybe slutted / drilled..

Big_Richard

Quote from: SELfor50 on 14 June 2009, 03:43 AM
Looks sweet as PB.  If possible can you please pm me the contact details for the SS hoses??  It's gotta be done..

Are the calipers, actual brand new or reco'd??

I love the black grill.. it's sweet.

Are you gonna treat the ol' girl to some new rotors at some point??  Maybe slutted / drilled..

the calipers are brand new, in ATE boxes ;) Not refurbished in the slightest. They are only $212US each + postage.

The hoses, well, thats another question, i cant remember where i bought them from, nor do i remember the lengths  ::)

It was someone on Ebay in canada who i emailed and asked nicley for a custom order. Just remember that front v rear mounting rear calipers use different hoses, and that difference is to do with floating caliper, anti-squat versus pov version rear trailing arms. Best to remove and have made to your specific requirements.

The disks are all new, australian made too. Though if i replace them again, they will be german made next time ;)

Cast iron parts rust as soon as they are left outside, those disks have less than 2000k's on them

***Edit: I'm fairly certain the company that made my hoses is - http://www.apexbrakes.com/ lengths and fitting genders needed to be established, but after that it was smooth sailing.

chinny4290

1975 W116 280S - SOLD
1994 W124 E320 Coupe - Gone

CURRENT - 1974 450SEL

Big_Richard

Of what ??

The interior of the car still looks like the day i bought it, IE, a complete and utter pile of shit  :o

I have everything to refurbish it, but just lacking on the funds at the moment with having to furnish a new home and all, so its been shelved for a while.

The side view of the car isn't very exciting, as all the anodised trims and rubber strips on the sides are original too. But one of my next purchases will be a complete set of rubber strips and then the anodised bits. Assuming i don't get thrown in jail for throwing DHL's threatening letters in the trash.  ::)

Big_Richard

This is what the car looked like when i dropped it off to he paint shop in november 2003. I had owned the car a couple months by that stage, It was purchased initially as a peice of crap to have some fun with and then part out. Clearly, that never happend.

There was rust, rust, rust, and more rust. Everything that contained oil, leaked, including every part of the engine. All bumpers were 50% rust. Every peice of rubber was stuffed, including the tires which were hard and cracked. All spheres were blown and the car was bouncing along on the tires. all engine/trans mounts were stuffed and the engine was banging around loose in the engine bay. the front flex disk was all cracked up and soon after this exploded. Every 50Km's driven required 1 litre of engine oil topped up, and 500ml of transmission fluid, all brakes were stuffed and leaking. The handbrake was also stuffed. The exhaust was rusted out and leaking and noisey. The rubber on the steering wheel was falling off the metal ring frame! I paid 5K for this hunk of junk, in reality it was 4K too much. Yes, i have spent a shitload of money that i'll never see again, but i've also learnt everything i know about cars from my short time with this one. Prior to owning it, i used to actually pay a mechanic to "service" my cars. It has served its purpose ;)

SELfor50

Hear, hear...

If I didn't get a 116 (ironically it was silver too, and was a heapa...) I wouldnt' have learnt anything about cars.

You never make the money back, but that's not what it's about.

Thanks for the info on the hoses dude, will rip the old ones off and measure them up later in the year.

Yesmar

sorry to thread jack and i know there is allready a thread somewhere on this topic, but i love the black grill, what type paint do you use for that?
- Ramsey

Big_Richard

Quote from: Yesmar on 21 June 2009, 03:22 AM
sorry to thread jack and i know there is allready a thread somewhere on this topic, but i love the black grill, what type paint do you use for that?

The black grill was the first thing i ever did to the car, and it was before any beutification or repairs had taken place. All i used was some cheap, crappy spray can black paint, that was in 2003 and its still all there.  ::)