News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Tiny, tiny part required for 450 SEL - anyone help?

Started by huck280, 13 July 2007, 09:00 AM

huck280

Hello Everyone,

My courtesy light delay switch has broken, and I wondered if anyone has a 450 SEL or 6.9 that they're cannibalising, who'd let me have this part? It's a small 1"x1.5"x2" box that just plugs in with five pins under the steering wheel to the right (in a right hand drive car). I'd happily pay you for it via pay pal or give a donation to a charity you might nominate. I haven't checked the dealership yet...it may well still be available! I'm being a perfectionist, I know, but it just seems so common to drive a car where the light goes out when i shut the door...

Cheers,

Leif

WGB

The problem with them is that the light doesn't go out when you start the motor but stays on for the full cycle as you drive off.

I'd stick with what you've got.

It was high-tech in 1976 but everybody else has improved on it since then.

Bill

SELfor50

I've been thinking bout this - and would it be possible to link the relay / switch to ignition so that when the key's turned to crank the engine it kills the light?  Cause this is something that annoys me too...

oscar

My pov' models don't have this feature but I started up a thread earlier about the delay function and I think it's very possible to attack the circuit and throw in simple electronics to add an override and dimming feature so the light isn't full on or full off.

Papalangi posted this link for example
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

The DLD Dome Light Dimmer Module (Theatre Lighting) is used to control the interior lights of your car.  After you close the door, the lights will stay on for about 20 seconds, then gradually dim to off.  An additional feature of the module is the ignition override function.  If the car is running, the unit goes directly into dimming mode (no delay) so you don't have to drive away with the lights on.  $39.95

Huck, I assume you'll still have to get this switch thing you speak of.  My wrecking car has more features then the other two.  I've no idea whether it has this part though.  I'll get back to you.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Bandolero

Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

SELfor50

Quote from: oscar on 15 July 2007, 06:36 PM
My pov' models don't have this feature but I started up a thread earlier about the delay function and I think it's very possible to attack the circuit and throw in simple electronics to add an override and dimming feature so the light isn't full on or full off.

Papalangi posted this link for example
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

The DLD Dome Light Dimmer Module (Theatre Lighting) is used to control the interior lights of your car.  After you close the door, the lights will stay on for about 20 seconds, then gradually dim to off.  An additional feature of the module is the ignition override function.  If the car is running, the unit goes directly into dimming mode (no delay) so you don't have to drive away with the lights on.  $39.95

Huck, I assume you'll still have to get this switch thing you speak of.  My wrecking car has more features then the other two.  I've no idea whether it has this part though.  I'll get back to you.

Oscar... Word!
This is the sort of ish i'm talkin' bout!  I'll be lookin at doin this in the next couple months after the engine swap.

Cam.

huck280

Hi All,

I'm not so bothered about the light being on for ten seconds while I drive off. What bothers me is being plunged into darkness as soon as I shut the door. Remember, in Britain it gets dark at 4pm between November and February! THat's a lot of time spent looking for the face-off for the stereo in the pitch black... All I've done so far is bridge the terminals, so there's no delay (my delay timer kept the light on all the time - which I didn't notice, because in the summer it doesn't get dark here til 10pm. I noticed it thtree days later though when the car wouldn't start...)

I should get off my lazy arse and ring the stealership. THey may well still keep this part.

Cheers,

Leif

oscar

Huck, where abouts is this thing or rather, how do you get to it?  I'm not sure what I'm looking for or what I have to remove to get to it.

Selfor50, That project's been on the backburner for a while, but it's something I'd like to add eventually.  Mine turns off as soon as you close the door.  I'd love to have a delay followed by dimming to off but the ability for the ignition to override the delay is the feature that I'd like to have.

huck280

I'll assume, Oscar, that you've got a right hand drive one. It's sort of underneath the steering wheel to the right hand side behind the footwell cover - a silver metallic box about 1" x 1.5" x 2" which stands proud and fits in with a five point plug. Don't do tooo much work finding it, because I haven't got in touch with the stealership yet - but if it drops out into your hand... ;-)

oscar

No worries.  But curiosity has got the better of me.  I have to hook a battery up tomorrow to see if it has this delay thing to begin with.  I want to see it in action.

huck280

If it's working, you'll hear it faintly click after about ten seconds... Obviously, you'll see the light, but for locating the device, follow the faint click...