News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Suspension blocks for 6.9's

Started by Des, 12 February 2007, 03:58 AM

Des

Can anyone tell me who has owned or seen Australian spec 6.9's, did they come with the Suspension blocks?
I'm curious if they ever did.
I understand the cruise control had a little tag on it when these cars were brand new explaining operation and warnings on the system. I would have thought the car would also come with a brochure or information sheet about the operation of these suspension blocks in case the system failed.
My opinion, for whatever that is worth is that these blocks are just as important as the toolkit in the boot and spare wheel itself.

Thoughts?

Des

The toolkits are available new from MB, like everything, I paid $220AU for a brand new 6.9 toolkit, still it a nice clean baggy. opened it up once to admire all the goodies and stuck it in my boot, never to be used or looked at again.  :)

As for the blocks you would think they would have come in a bag or a box with a little info sheet to say what to do with them.

Des

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 12 February 2007, 04:24 AM
Those tools in the tool kit, are they any good? $220 isn't bad... I'm assuming they are all star marked ;)

mate I wouldn't know about the quality could be Sidchrome or Stanley quality, they are all marked with little stars and Mercedes Benz.
Got that more to complete the car than actually use them to work on the car.

WGB

The toolkit seems a bargain - is this a recent purchase and what was included.

I recently bought a very minimal kit for my late Mazda MX 5 and it was nearly $200 for not very much (Wheelbrace, pliers and two spanners in a plastic pouch).

Bill

Des

Quote from: WGB on 12 February 2007, 04:31 AM
The toolkit seems a bargain - is this a recent purchase and what was included.

Yeah about 2 months ago, has the wheel wrench, sunroof emergency winder tool, various spanners, flexiable type spark plug wrench.

this is a picture from one for a W123, looks exactly the same as mine:

koan

Quote from: Des on 12 February 2007, 03:58 AM

Can anyone tell me who has owned or seen Australian spec 6.9's, did they come with the Suspension blocks?

I'm curious if they ever did.

I have four in boot, I have always assumed they came as original equipment.  The parts book shows two straps or springs for locating either the front or rear blocks, I don't have those.   

I understand the cruise control had a little tag on it when these cars were brand new explaining operation and warnings on the system.

I have one, red card about 20 cm by 10 cm, printed in black, English one side, German the other.

I would have thought the car would also come with a brochure or information sheet about the operation of these suspension blocks in case the system failed.

Use of the blocks is covered in the owners handbook, no mention of springs or straps there.

My opinion, for whatever that is worth is that these blocks are just as important as the toolkit in the boot and spare wheel itself.

Thoughts?

Whether I would use the blocks if the suspension failed on the road would depend on circumstances, if there was no way of flat bedding the car home I would use them otherwise not. If the cause of the failure was loss of fluid I wouldn't want to risk the expensive pump running while dry,

I don't think I've used a tool kit on the road in 35 years, and then it was only the handle of a screw driver to belt the float bowls on a pair of SUs. These were notorious for their float needle valves sticking open and pouring petrol every where.

Don't know if I have the tool for manual sunroof operation.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Des

Koan; are the blocks just loose in the boot or are they in a bag or box?

koan

Quote from: Des on 12 February 2007, 05:02 AM

Koan; are the blocks just loose in the boot or are they in a bag or box?

They are loose in the sides of the boot.

koan.
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

WGB

My car didn't come with a toolkit - but at that price I will sneak one in the budget at some time - but when I removed the sunroof motor there is a spare sunroof emergency winder clipped to the motor mounting itself.

Bill

James R

Just a note from me on the benefits of checking that you have a toolkit in your car. I didn't and here's the tale.

I had a lovely time in the 450SEL this weekend. Drove from Hampshire to Nottingham to see some friends for an evening. Round trip of 300 - 400 miles. Was all going great and I was marvelling at how rock solid and well engineered these old cars are and how reliable it is when one of the tires went down. Large shard of metal in it. I was 10 miles from home.

Opened up the boot and pulled out the spare wheel. Ah great. Nice new tyre on there. I'll have this done in a jiffy, I thought. Nice new jack...don't think that's ever been used, I mused. Now then...tool kit. Uh oh. Tool kit ? What no tool kit ? Some ^%$%"£ has nicked the tool kit ! No wheel brace. So I called my father (who lives up the road). Yes, he said, I have two. One of them is bound to fit. Nope. They didn't. Scratching my head looking for inspiration. Hang on. I've broken down outside a W140 owner. I wonder. Yep. A W140 wheel brace fits W116 nuts. Had it changed in 5 minutes from there.

Two lessons.

- Always check that you have a tool kit when you get a car.
- PLEASE don't steal one when you sell a car !

James
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

Des

Quote from: Patrick Bateman on 12 February 2007, 05:35 PM
I still have a genu-wine xwx 215/70/r14 on my spare wheel. There is a wheel brace, but no tool kit...

Probably useless as a spare wheel if it is 30 years old but would be nice to keep as an original for the car I would imagine?

gregdeklerk

A friend of mine has a 6.3 and he says the blocks are no longer available from Mercedes? If true, I guess this may apply to the 6.9.

Des

Quote from: gregdeklerk on 14 February 2007, 05:11 AM
A friend of mine has a 6.3 and he says the blocks are no longer available from Mercedes? If true, I guess this may apply to the 6.9.

I will have to find the thread but someone on the M100 site mentioned that they were available but around $1800AU

Andreas

Yes the blocks for the 6.9 ares still available and about 1800 dollars for all 4. If you go to your local MB dealer thay can order them for you. I did and enquiry for this only late december 06 and they had plenty in stock.

Cheers
Andreas
78 450 SEL Parting out
78 450 SEL Saving for parts
79 450 SEL 6.9  #5332
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro # 1696
77 450 SEL 6.9 Euro #1577
78 450 SEL 6.9  # 4172
76 280 S     Manual Parting
80 280 SE  Possible Parts Car
74 350 SLC  Thinking converting to race