News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Shudder on take-off

Started by bahnstormer109, 03 March 2008, 05:14 AM

bahnstormer109

Hi Guys,

ive finally found something to post about!

when i take off fairly hard from a stop in the 450SEL theres a bit of a shudder that runs through the car during the first couple of seconds of the accelleration.

reckon its the gearbox mounts??

my old 280SEL did this once quite badly after the gearbox got rebuilt because there was a batch of dodgy mounts, i had to take it back and get them swapped.

maybe the mounts on the 450SEL are getting on a bit now?? any ideas

cheers,
Paolo.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Big_Richard

G'day,,

This is exactly what mine use to do, immediately prior to the front flex disk ripping to shreds. Once it starts to crack it will flex more than normal and allow the shaft to wobble in rotation under high torque, such as hard take offs from dead still.

While under there, you should replace front and rear, the gearbox mount, and the centre bearing support and bearing. Parts are all very reasonable if purchased outside of Australia. Such as from Autohausaz.

bahnstormer109

Ah, ok.

thanks for that Patrick. ill have to get it all checked out under there.
Paolo,
Brisbane, Australia.

72 300SEL 3.5
84 280CE
86 560SEL
86 230TE

Big_Richard

Quote from: bahnstormer109 on 03 March 2008, 06:07 AM
Ah, ok.

thanks for that Patrick. ill have to get it all checked out under there.

Be aware that i continued to drive the car, for 6 months, with the majority of takeoffs being full throttle before it totally failed, and its a 6.9. Naturally it let go at the worst possible time and left me stranded miles from home waiting for a flat bed tow truck. ;)

It wont happen overnight, but it will happen.

kolin

i  suggest that you also inspect the drive shaft coupling, that the UJ there isnt all all grimey from dust.
my 540i bmw had this and used to knock on pull off only.

koan

Quote from: bahnstormer109 on 03 March 2008, 05:14 AM

when i take off fairly hard from a stop in the 450SEL theres a bit of a shudder that runs through the car during the first couple of seconds of the accelleration.

While it could be a flex disk starting to fail the description is exactly what I experienced with a damaged center bearing support, the round rubber piece with bearing next to the universal joint connecting the two halves of the tailshaft.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

kolin

remember the initial torque on pull off with a vehicle standing still and the only thing turning is the engine and then the propshaft, some in that area has to be stuffed.

aussie 6.9

I had the same problem after I replaced the front engine mounts.I then replaceded the centre uni joint and rubbermount to no availe. It was only after I replaced the rear gear box mount that the problem was solved. Regards Aussie 6.9.