News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Oil pump inspection?

Started by torana68, 14 April 2007, 07:13 AM

torana68

Hi,
Does anyone have one of those cheapish manuals that covers the 117 engine? I would like some clearances for the pump so I can check mine, not interested in just buying a new one at the price they are (heres a giggle, at Mercedes one oil pump gear is A$36 the other one nearer A$500!!! no thanks.....) , so I would like to check my pump (which looks good) spose I could use any gear pump clearances but would like something closer to home. thanks
Roger

WGB

I have the US 350/450 Manual and when I get time tonight after work will send the clearances if they are in there.

Is it not in the online Handbook?

Bill

torana68

Bill,
Nah, well I couldn't find any inspection information, if you have them in your book that would be good but having dismantled it I cant really see any wear but it would be good to check!
thanks
Roger

WGB

Hi Roger,

I won't be home until 2000 Perth Standard Time but I will find the specs somewhere - I have a number of different manuals.

I also have the CD-rom version of the Handbook that makes searching a little easier just due to the speed.

Bill

WGB

Hi Roger,

I have gone through Haynes, Chilton, Bentley, WIS and the handbook.

All I have found is - Haynes - "With the engine dismantled to this extent it would prove to be  false economy not to replace the oil pump with a new unit"

Chilton - " Renew oil pump gears in pairs.For this reason they are supplied as a spare part in a set (rotor set) only"

Not a lot of help - sorry.

Bill

torana68

Bill,
Thanks for going to the effort, I can't see any wear so it can go back in as is.
Regards
Roger

WGB

Sounds quite sensible.

I have never heard that they were a problem and their output seems far in excess of what is required.

Bill

torana68

Bill,
At 200,000 miles its not something I would put back without a close examination, I don't know if its been replaced or not though. I was at a local repairer and they said they don't wear out so I have no reason to doubt them now! I would be a twit not to at least strip it and inspect it.
Thanks again
Roger

s class

Torana,

My experience with the 280 M110, is that the gears themselves did not show any appreciable wear, what was however apparent was circular score marks in the housing in which the gears run.  Apparently this was due to dirt particles that had been drawn up through the oil strainer (mine was damaged) and trapped in the pump.  But this is easy to see if it has happened.  Also check the oil pump drive chain and sprockets for wear.  Potential failures can happen here - not usually in the pump itself.

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Brian Crump

QuoteAlso check the oil pump drive chain and sprockets for wear
\
Sounds like a sensible move. I replaced the oil pump chain and sprockets when I replaced the timing chain and guides. Some stretching was obvious in the chain and it was easy and cheap while it was all apart - I did the water pump at the same time because it looked remarkly like it was the original one..
Regards,
BC