News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

How long do you warm up when cold outside?

Started by mabryt, 23 November 2009, 12:38 PM

Papalangi

I generally take off when the MP3 player has Found it's place in my audiobook no matter what the temperature is.

It's been 15-25 F this week and altho it turns over slow the first try, it does start and run just like normal.  On the other hand, the puddle of oil under the rear swing arm didn't look like a good thing yesterday so I stopped off at a shop and had them take a look.  Seems that old shocks don't like it too cold and will pump all the oil out if the seal isn't up to snuff.

Now I have a need for the overtime I've earned this week.  Dang.

Michael
'83 300SD, I'm back!  It's the son's new car (12/2020)
1976 450SEL, 116.033  Sold it to buy a '97 Crown Vic.  Made sense at the time.
1971 250C, 114.023
1976 280C
1970 250/8

oscar

Quote from: mabryt on 05 December 2009, 11:48 AM
  However, WGB, you mentioned the auxiliary air valve.  Hmm- no idea what or where this is.  Pointers?

The AAV is on the block underneath the opening of the 2nd cylinder's intake port.  For a k-jet it might be real hard to see or near impossible to get to from the top of the engine bay due to the size and location of the intake setup.  Might have to go underneath the car to view it and/or remove it.

Seafoam!  Been waiting to hear if anyone's tried the stuff on our mercs.  Read about it on various US forums but hear mixed reports then there's the vids on youtube that kind of scares me when you see the rate at which people put a fluid into their intakes and brake vac lines.  One would hope it would vapourize quickly but knowing my luck I'd probably hydraulically lock the engine.  Besides, I haven't seen Seafoam in Aus and not sure if there's an equivalent.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

Ah, I would hope that you don't put it in the brake booster/reservoir. ;)

The rest sound like a reasonable plan though. 8)

Quote from: Yesmar on 05 December 2009, 04:24 PM
usually what i do is on my v8 discovery i put a whole bottle into the gas tank, then a half of a bottle in the oil and half into the brake booster. run it for 100miles then change the oil. that seems to work great. so im guessing for my straight 6 benz id do a third of a bottle into the gas tank, a third into the oil, and a third straight into the carburetor. let it sit 20 min. start it up. run it for 10 min. then drive it 100 miles then change the oil. 

i mean thats what im thinking.

iv just never done it to this car and i dont want to mess it up, may be just leave well enough alone.  the engine is very healthy at 148,XXX . but ive always had a decently successful experience using seafoam.
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

kru0042

Sir,

I mentioned to my son yesterday on our ride to his school in my W116 something to the effect that wouldn't it be nice to be in California today. I live in Calgary, Alberta and the temperature today was a balmy -22 degrees Celcius. I believe that around this point there is no difference between the Centigrade and Fahrenheit scales. It is plain and simply *($^%@$ cold!!!!!!!

Your problems are few my friend!!! Tonight, I plugged my car in, placed my space heater next to the oil pan, and shrouded the whole front end of the vehicle in old sleeping bags, then a car cover in an attempt to maintain a reasonable engine temperature to start my car the next morning. In the part of the world where I live we get long stretches of this nonsense. I truly envy so many of you who reside in Australia, South Africa, California,...etc where you don't have to deal with such extremes of temperature. My stress is wondering if the thing will start. let alone if it idles at an appropriate RPM.

Good luck with your W116.. and greetings from the Great White North (Canada)

Super Einspritz Lang

Big_Richard

Quote from: kru0042 on 11 December 2009, 02:28 AM
Your problems are few my friend!!! Tonight, I plugged my car in,

Are you talking about the diesel block heater ? Presumably on your 300D ?

You should be able to get a custom made block heater for the 450 also.

mabryt

Oh yes, ,kru0042, I know what you're talking about- lived in Montreal for three years so I fully appreciate how lucky I am to be in California!

Then again, I hear Vancouver's doing nicely and not a big move from Alberta, right?  ;)
1977 280SE - Silver Green