News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

How long do you warm up when cold outside?

Started by mabryt, 23 November 2009, 12:38 PM

mabryt

Hi all-

My '77 280SE is in excellent shape, but since temperatures have dropped it can't maintain idle when starting in the morning unless I keep my foot on the gas a bit.  I then back out of the drive, but when I stop and shift from R into D, the engine just conks out and I have to restart the engine.  Then I drive about two blocks and come to a stop sign, but by then- even after just a wee bit of driving- the engine is purring nicely.

When I say 'low' temperatures, of course, it's relative: I live on the Central California coast, so at night and into early morning it drops to about 40 degrees F/ 3.5 degrees C.

In the evening, after sitting outside all day in temps about 60 F/15.5 C, it starts up with no complaints whatsoever.

When warm it idles right on the money at 750 rpms.

So perhaps I just need to let it warm up longer, but it's not THAT cold outside.  Thoughts anyone?

Thanks from California-

mabryt
1977 280SE - Silver Green

Big_Richard

I might be being overboard, but my car does not get driven until the engine is at operating temperature. It generally should take only 5 minutes or so if the thermostat is closing properly. Add some time to your morning routine and listen to some music in the car at warm up - w116's are enjoyable places to hang out regardless ;)

13B

I start the car, exit the car and open my non-motorised garage door, reverse the car out, go close the non-motorised garage door, which is all up about 30 seconds of engine running time.  Then I just drive-off and don't go past 2000rpm until its up to normal operating temperature.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Yesmar

i start it up get out and smoke a cig. when im done its about 5 min. and its all ready to go.
- Ramsey

edgey74

hey mabryt,

I do pretty much the same as the other guys, I start the old girl up, and then leave it a few minutes just till it reaches the 70 - 80 degree mark on the temp gauge. I had a couple of old beetles in the UK and had to do the same!! I just take it easy for a few kms then it runs like a dream. Even though I live in Queensland, Australia where it's warm all year, I still do this as I suppose it lets all the oil get around and the engine is nice and war.

Cheers, Paul

oscar

Quote from: Yesmar on 23 November 2009, 11:29 PM
i start it up get out and smoke a cig. when im done its about 5 min. and its all ready to go.

LOL! Had to laugh, good way to time it.

I know we're supposed to wait and warm them up but this year I'm late for work every other day and have to race.  Worst still is that work is only 3km away and it's still not fully warmed up by the time I get there.  The result has been the oil thins quickly and consumption increased somewhat, plus fouled plugs in no time.  Coming into Spring here and an oil change and new plugs did wonders.  Who knows how the exhaust is holding up.  Although fairly newish there must be some condensation wanting to rust it out from those particularly cold days where it didn't get a chance at all to get even close to operating temp.  Winter here would be similar to Calif by the sounds of it. 

No idea what's happening with your cold starts though mabyrt.  With clean plugs my car starts immediately and will mantain a high idle till it warms (was crappy before with dirty plugs though, stalling like yours and wouldn't maintain an idle).  That's for a d-jet though, not sure what to blame in a k-jet.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

TJ 450

I have to wait at least five minutes before my 6.9 is driveable... it runs too lean otherwise and I haven't been able to find a cause yet. It runs very smoothly once warmed up.

In the 450 (when it was running), it was a case of starting up (1300 RPM cold idle speed), waiting a few seconds, then selecting drive and off I go. ;) Like Ian, there's no going over 2krpm until operating temperature is reached, at a minimum.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

koan

Quote from: TJ 450 on 24 November 2009, 11:54 AM
I have to wait at least five minutes before my 6.9 is driveable... it runs too lean otherwise.

What's the symptom, backfiring in the intake?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

gordonm

Hi
My 350 puffs the smoke from her lungs starts at 1200 rpm gradually increases to 1800 rpm over a minute and is then driveable on fast idle it then takes 5 minutes max to reach temperature and the idle speed to stabilise at 800 rpm.
Nightime temperature in the carpeted garage minimum 7 degrees C
Can't bear to get it wet!

Gordon

TJ 450

Quote from: koan on 24 November 2009, 04:05 PM
I have to wait at least five minutes before my 6.9 is driveable... it runs too lean otherwise.

koan
Yes, exactly! I've been over everything about 100 times, but I can't work out what is causing it, unless it is CIS related.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Big_Richard

Quote from: TJ 450 on 27 November 2009, 02:15 PM

koan
Yes, exactly! I've been over everything about 100 times, but I can't work out what is causing it, unless it is CIS related.

Tim

my car used to do that 6 years ago.  As to what fixed it i wouldnt know as over that course of time next to nothing is still original.

WGB

My 450 runs at 1800 revs on cold startup while my 6.9 runs the same hot or cold - only a slight rise in revs when cold.

I have always thought it may be worth putting a restrictor in the auxillary airvalve of my 450 to slow the cold idle down but have never done it.

koan

TJ - if it won't idle well cold it may be your auxillary air valve jammed shut or otherwise obstructed - very easy to check.

Bill

mabryt

Hi all- many thanks for the input everybody.  I drive my 280SE every day, so somedays (when dealing with a 1 and 3 year old) I am running late and am impatient.  However, since my first post, I ran a can of Seafoam through the tank and there is a noticeable improvement.  However, WGB, you mentioned the auxiliary air valve.  Hmm- no idea what or where this is.  Pointers?

Best from California---

mabryt
1977 280SE - Silver Green

Yesmar

hey, i use seafoam on my other cars, and ive been wanting to use it on my 280s but i don't know if it would be ok with a carburetor engine. does anyone have experience with this?
- Ramsey

Yesmar

usually what i do is on my v8 discovery i put a whole bottle into the gas tank, then a half of a bottle in the oil and half into the brake booster. run it for 100miles then change the oil. that seems to work great. so im guessing for my straight 6 benz id do a third of a bottle into the gas tank, a third into the oil, and a third straight into the carburetor. let it sit 20 min. start it up. run it for 10 min. then drive it 100 miles then change the oil. 

i mean thats what im thinking.

iv just never done it to this car and i dont want to mess it up, may be just leave well enough alone.  the engine is very healthy at 148,XXX . but ive always had a decently successful experience using seafoam.
- Ramsey