News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

buzzer location in 79sd

Started by rosenfe, 08 November 2010, 01:39 PM

rosenfe

where is buzzer located  that comes on when key or lights are left on when exiting car

koan

Quote from: rosenfe on 08 November 2010, 01:39 PM
where is buzzer located  that comes on when key or lights are left on when exiting car

If it's the same place as mine it's on the back of the instrument cluster, a small metal box, cube shaped and about 25mm a side.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Big_Richard

is it actually a buzzer or just a severely abused relay ?

I have the thing on my instrument cluster but have never heard it sing as i have the incorrect version ignition lock. however it dosent make noise when headligts are left on either...

rosenfe

its a buzzer mine is quite anemic,chasing down battery drain .

Mforcer

I have never heard a buzzer. I've left the lights on a couple of times too ::)

Anyone able to show a photo of it?
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

koan

It's a buzzer with two terminals soldered to the back of the instrument cluster.

I've had one kicking around on my desk for months, but can't find it now.

About the same size as a relay but with a pair of solder tags on the bottom.

If I find it I'll post a picture.

Edit: Found it!

(click for the big picture)

koan

Mforcer

That certainly matches your description. Just doesn't look like something that would buzz.

Thanks!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

WGB

Both my 1979  Euro's have this but someone said they weren't universal for Oz supplied cars.

Bill

koan

Quote from: WGB on 09 November 2010, 02:40 AM
Both my 1979  Euro's have this but someone said they weren't universal for Oz supplied cars.

I have a couple of instrument clusters here, only one has (had) the buzzer installed. That assumes the cluster came from AUS delivered cars.

koan

Big_Richard

ive heard one in another w116 and they sound shithouse  8)

what i would do, if it worked in my car would be to get rid of it, and solder in an old UPS piezo buzzer and resistor. A constant high pitched ultra irritating noise would remind anyone to remove the keys/turn off the lights  8)

koan

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 09 November 2010, 09:17 AM

Don't think the intention is to sound "nice", a pizeo buzzer is hardly an improvement.

What about building a gadget that plays a bit of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries?

koan

vlv8vic

I have one in my 280.  I've not seen it but there really isn't much one can compare the sound to. It's just plain bloody awful!

Big_Richard

Quote from: koan on 09 November 2010, 02:25 PM
Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 09 November 2010, 09:17 AM

Don't think the intention is to sound "nice", a pizeo buzzer is hardly an improvement.

What about building a gadget that plays a bit of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries?

koan

I'd rather one in uncle chop chop's voice saying "hey dickhead, you've left the lights on!"

Martin 280s

My W116 doesn't have a buzzer although the W124 does....still not sure if it's a good thing or bad, the sound is not at all pleasant! However, I have never left the lights on and then removed the key from the W124.
Never understood why car wiring systems allow you to remove the key and leave the lights on, with bikes the turning off of the ignition kills everything.

Big_Richard

my current company car turns the headlights on automatically when the ambient light level drops past a threshold amount and also turns on the windscreen wipers when water is detected on the windscreen. Lights turn off even if dark when you turn the car off.

Its made me lazy as the first time i drove a friends car without these modern, now quite standard features, i left the lights on when leaving the car, and never put the wipers on while driving in the rain!

I guarantee the first time i drive my 6.9 i'll get a flat battery, so im going to take a battery charger with me just in case  8)