News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Becker Mexico Radio Shorted Out and dead

Started by Alex, 16 March 2024, 05:52 AM

Alex

As per title.
I took the ground off my Becker Mexico, forgot the car batt was on, and plugged in another funny wire and it shorted out. The radio no longer has any signs of life.
Please help!! (It was working 100% beforehand) :(((

I think the short may have killed a fuse or something, but I can't say. All the fuses in the engine bay are intact.

Is there anything else it could be? Or do I have to pull apart the whole radio and find the blown capacitor or something.
And also- any advice on finding the issue and rectifying it? How do I find the location of the issue??

https://imgur.com/a/d20iBmt
^ Cable goes from amp to stereo but doesn't plug into stereo??
https://imgur.com/a/pINuApS
^otherside of same cable
https://imgur.com/a/HoP3JQ8
^ attempted to plug it into that corroded bit. Before shorting the entire radio and killing it.

Jed

My recollection is that the radio fuse on the w116 is the long inline style fuse located in the bottom of the fuse box in the engine compartment. Not the push in ceramic style fuses but the ones you have to unscrew to get the fuse out. Did you check those? There are typically two in there and I can't remember what the other one is for?
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #5206 - restored
1979 Mercedes 6.9 #6424 - ongoing restoration
1976 Mercedes 6.9 #484 - restoration?

daantjie

Correct yes, the other in-line type fuse in the fuse box is for the ACC climate control system, if fitted.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

Alex

Quote from: Jed on 16 March 2024, 03:02 PMMy recollection is that the radio fuse on the w116 is the long inline style fuse located in the bottom of the fuse box in the engine compartment. Not the push in ceramic style fuses but the ones you have to unscrew to get the fuse out. Did you check those? There are typically two in there and I can't remember what the other one is for?

I tried the inline fuse- it's the one that you push and twist right? That one is clear.

Is there any other fuse that could blow?

UTn_boy

I just can't wrap my head around how something shorted, as the only way this could happen is if the radios ground wire made contact with a 12+ source, but the ground wire on these radios unscrews from the rear before removal.  Minus the large gray cable that goes to the separately mounted amplifier, there are only three connections on the actual head in unit (the radio).  A ground, a 12+ bullet connector, and the coaxial lead for the antenna. 

Regardless, the Mexico and Grand Prix models have a fuse on the inside of the radio.  You have to remove the top of the radio, and you'll see a printed circuit board, usually on the top left, that will hinge up/open.  On the underside of this circuit board is a glass fuse that is filled with white sand and probably/maybe a green and blue stripe around the glass part.  I forget the amperage rating, but it'll be printed on the metal end caps.  Do replace it with the correct amp fuse so if you short something out again the fuse will blow before something more important in the radio. 
1966 250se coupe`,black/dark green leather
1970 600 midnight blue/parchment leather
1971 300sel 6.3,papyrus white/dark red leather
1975 450se, pine green metallic/green leather
1973 300sel 4.5,silver blue metallic/blue leather
1979 450sel 516 red/bamboo

Alex

Quote from: UTn_boy on 16 March 2024, 06:48 PMI just can't wrap my head around how something shorted, as the only way this could happen is if the radios ground wire made contact with a 12+ source, but the ground wire on these radios unscrews from the rear before removal.  Minus the large gray cable that goes to the separately mounted amplifier, there are only three connections on the actual head in unit (the radio).  A ground, a 12+ bullet connector, and the coaxial lead for the antenna. 

Regardless, the Mexico and Grand Prix models have a fuse on the inside of the radio.  You have to remove the top of the radio, and you'll see a printed circuit board, usually on the top left, that will hinge up/open.  On the underside of this circuit board is a glass fuse that is filled with white sand and probably/maybe a green and blue stripe around the glass part.  I forget the amperage rating, but it'll be printed on the metal end caps.  Do replace it with the correct amp fuse so if you short something out again the fuse will blow before something more important in the radio. 
I replaced the fuse, but the radio still doesn't work.

Does the wire that isn't connected to anything have something to do with it??

The multimeter says that power is going to the amplifier through the radio. So I think something is working...?

Alex

Nevermind. I fixed it by replacing the little light inside.

Cheers guys.