News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Are The Heater Inlet Valves Repairable?

Started by Squiggle Dog, 01 June 2011, 08:29 PM

Squiggle Dog

When I did the coolant flush I ripped out the ACCII servo and pipes, rerouting the hoses and installing a manual heater valve (firewall mounted). The manual heater inlet valve leaked from the lever (drip, drip, drip), and I found out that the other two I have also leak.

Are these valves easily repairable? 2 are 116 part numbers and one is a 107 part number but it is almost the same part. I was trying to see if the plastic lever could come out for replacement of an O-ring but I couldn't find a way to remove it.

Is this one of those sealed parts that has to be replaced instead of repaired? It looks like I can get a new one for $80--and I will want the correct part at some point--but it would be nice if I could repair the ones I have for little money.

I may just have to put in a cheap valve to get by on for a while.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

WGB

I think for that amount of money it would be better to do the job once and purchase a new valve.

Bill

jbrasile

Squiggle,  get a new valve, they are not repairable as far as I know.

Tks,

Joe

chrismsullivan

Quote from: Squiggle Dog on 01 June 2011, 08:29 PM
When I did the coolant flush I ripped out the ACCII servo and pipes, rerouting the hoses and installing a manual heater valve (firewall mounted). The manual heater inlet valve leaked from the lever (drip, drip, drip), and I found out that the other two I have also leak.

Are these valves easily repairable? 2 are 116 part numbers and one is a 107 part number but it is almost the same part. I was trying to see if the plastic lever could come out for replacement of an O-ring but I couldn't find a way to remove it.

Is this one of those sealed parts that has to be replaced instead of repaired? It looks like I can get a new one for $80--and I will want the correct part at some point--but it would be nice if I could repair the ones I have for little money.

I may just have to put in a cheap valve to get by on for a while.

Squiggle... How'd you get on with this? I noticed today that mine also leaks from the lever and will need to order a new one. Did you end up buying or repairing? If you did buy, how much was it and where from?

At the moment I can only find a second hand unit on ebay.  :-\

Bandolero

Don't buy second hand as the seal can go hard with no use and then leak.
The aftermarket plastic ones work well and are cheap.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

chrismsullivan

Thanks. Any ideas where I can locate one?

Bandolero

Gee, I bought mine 5 years ago.
I think it was just one of the Euro spare parts shops.
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

chrismsullivan

koan

Depends where you are, South Yarra Autoparts can get most parts but can get a bit snichy about trade only, Perter Lennox in Thomastown, ask for Ken, Mercedes of Melbourne of course but take your gold bars along.

koan 
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Squiggle Dog

Ask jbrasile for a plastic one from a R107 chassis (A 107 830 05 84). It will fit and should be approximately $30. It will even have the star logo on it. :)
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

chrismsullivan

Thanks Koan, those local resources are handy to know about.

Squiggle, I'm in Australia, so ordering that part from the US may not be worth the postage. The part number you've given though is a handy reference aside from the 116 part number I had.

Cheers
Chris

chrismsullivan

Hi again... As an add on, I rang around and discovered that it would be hard to locate the parts I need, whether it be for 116 or 107. I queried the parts listed on ebay and was told that I should absolutely go for those if I can get them. So I bit the bullet and ordered a genuine new one off ebay.