News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

280 E Radiators

Started by Paul Dellas, 09 November 2008, 11:53 PM

Paul Dellas

Hi all, any one had success at repairing aluminium radiators? Am refusing to pay $495.00 for a new one. Bought a second hand one for $165.00 which is worst that the original. Have bought a Selleys two part metal putty which I am going to try out. Any advice

alabbasi

Quote from: Paul Dellas on 09 November 2008, 11:53 PM
Hi all, any one had success at repairing aluminium radiators? Am refusing to pay $495.00 for a new one. Bought a second hand one for $165.00 which is worst that the original. Have bought a Selleys two part metal putty which I am going to try out. Any advice

Is this a W123 280E? If so, you can take it to a radiator shop and they can re-core it for you.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Paul Dellas

Yep, certainly is..... No radiator shop in my location (Geelong Australia) wants anything to do with it. They say it is impossible to fix. Internal corrosion.

alabbasi

Wow, all they need to do is remove the top and bottom and stick a new core in.  I wish I could be of more help.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

Paul Dellas

Thanks for that.....

Paul

oscar

So you got a w123 and a w116 Paul is that right?  I haven't had the work done myself but it's been mentioned before that recoring (in Aus as well) has been done on w116's.  But don't w123 radiators have plastic top and bottom tanks?  Is that what they're scared about?
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Paul Dellas

Hi Oscar,

I have a W123 that I drive daily and the W116 which I havent been able to get going as yet.

Yes the W123 radiator does have plastic top & bottom tanks.... I think the problem is that the repair shops need a combined hydraulic press and crimping jig to replace the tanks on to the core

TJ 450

Failed radiators with plastic tanks are a bin job. 8)

What about the 1970's W123's, I thought they still had metal tanks?

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Paul Dellas

Tim,

Am thinking you may be right...... Time for the bin. Will try the metal putty on the weekend and see if I can get a few more Klm's. Have not been abe to find a radiator with metal tanks for a w123 as yet.

13B

I bet Robert D who is just up the road in St. Leonards should be able to help you with a 280E radiator.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Paul Dellas

Cant find any wreckers in St leonards..... Do you have a contact number

13B

He's not a wrecker, he's a forum member... send a PM to robertd and see if he has anything.

Last time I was at Macwreck in Moolap they had a 280SE there, don't know if the radiator was compatible or could be adapted... but that was some months ago that I was there.. if anyone in the area would have a 280E it would be them.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

Paul Dellas

Thanks for that.....Appreciate it

GreaseMonkey

I've got an early metal radiator in my 1980 W123 280E parts car, and it is the same as the one in my W116 280SE.

I may be tempted to sell it, I was going to keep it until I had sold the motor so anyone could see it running, but the water pump is leaking anyway.

(I also have a later plastic one that leaks, it is in the back of the shed until I next go to the dump).

Chris M.

Paul Dellas

Hi all....

13B, thanks for the tip regarding the wreckers in Moolap, rang them.... Was a little late the 123 had gone to heaven, however they gave me a contact number for a guy that knew a guy who has a 123 he is just starting to dismantle. Having a look tonight at the radiator.

Thank also to grease monkey for the offer.

The selleys metal filler works a treat and would certainly recomend it, sadly the existing radiator had far two many holes and leaks.... They kept appearing... Every time I filled them and then pressure tested more appeared.