News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

1980 300SD no start

Started by srbsmartie, 01 January 2012, 10:14 AM

srbsmartie

Hello all, new to the forum and new to Benz diesels too.
I have a problem with my 300SD that I hope someone can give me some help with.
My car had been sitting for a couple of years after a cracked head sidelined it. I swapped an engine into it last week (617.951 with all my original manifolds and motor mount arms) and I have been trying to get it started to no avail. I get no action from the starter when I turn the key to start. The run position gives me the buzzer and gauge movement and glow plug light, but when I turn the key all the way to start...nothing.
I have been getting the engine to turn over by jumping 12v to the starter solenoid but even that won't make it start. I have fuel to the injectors (cracked the lines and got fuel there) and it seems to want to start but it just won't go all the way. It will spin over fine and it even sputters some like it is trying to fire off but will not continue. HELP! I am getting frustrated and could really use some advice and encouragement. What am I missing folks?
Thank you in advance,
Craig

curbill

Check your primary fuel filter and make sure it is to the top with fuel. Just because you have fuel to the injectors it could only be momentarily. Make sure your battery is fully charged also. You would be surprised how quickly it goes down. I will be putting an electric fuel pump in my 116 as I did on my 126. Much easier to get fuel to everything.

Squiggle Dog

Did you reattach the engine block ground strap? If it's not attached, the starter will not function and neither will the glow plugs.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

srbsmartie

Ground strap is attached, starter is functioning as it will spin the engine over fine when I jump 12V to the solenoid. Fuel filter is full and fuel is making it to the injectors, I am feeding the pump with a small container of fuel instead of the tank, the return line is going into this container as well. Shouldn't the engine start and run with the key in the run position if I jump 12V to the solenoid? Am I correct in thinking that the IP fuel shutoff works by vacuum and is normally open and only shuts when the key is turned back to the off position? I have a spare ignition cylinder/steering lock, should I swap them out and hope that works?
So to re-iterate, I have 2 problems apparently. 1, my ignition switch does not work in the start position. 2, I can not start the engine by jumping 12V to the solenoid
I have plenty of fuel getting to the injectors
I have plenty electrical power to spin the engine
I am pretty sure the glow plugs are working (the glow plug light comes on and goes off after the appropriate time)

srbsmartie

It started and ran! Just not with the key.
I used a teeny spray of starting fluid and it fired right up, I let it idle for a minute and shut it down.
The primary fuel filter adapter housing had a leak from the filter holding bolt so I swapped it out with a spare and it actually started again without the starting fluid.
I had to bypass the switch over valve because it was randomly clicking, also the elbow between the plastic line from the manifold and the rubber hose from the switch was missing.
Now I have to solve the "no start with key" issue. I noticed while sitting in the car with the key in run, that the tachometer is jumping around. At the same time there is a switch or solenoid clicking in the glove box area or maybe the passenger foot well.
Going to search the wiring diagrams and see if I can find a connection.

Squiggle Dog

That's great that you got it to start. Just be sure to not use starting fluid again because it can easily destroy the engine. I've heard WD40 is safer.
Stop paying for animal cruelty and slaughter. Go vegan! [url="https://challenge22.com/"]https://challenge22.com/[/url]

1967 W110 Universal Wagon, Euro, Turbo Diesel, Tail Fins, 4 Speed Manual Column Shift, A/C
1980 W116 300SD Turbo Diesel, DB479 Walnut Brown, Sunroof, Heated Seats, 350,000+

srbsmartie

I only used the starting fluid out of desperation, and I only used a micro second spray. I know the dangers of using starting fluid on an IDI diesel and would not normally do it. It just needed help that one time and it would start on it's own after that.