News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts since 2004!

Main Menu

What glue or adhesive to use with rubber seals

Started by adamb, 04 September 2023, 04:14 PM

adamb

I am replacing the rear light seals. What glue should I use for attaching the new rubber seal to the light assembly please? I searched the forum but couldn't pin down an answer.

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Quote from: adamb on 04 September 2023, 04:14 PMI am replacing the rear light seals. What glue should I use for attaching the new rubber seal to the light assembly please? I searched the forum but couldn't pin down an answer.
I just replaced mine 2 days ago.  The old seals had no trace of glue so I didn't use glue.  The new seals seemed to fit quite well and got squueezed tight as the lens was tightened onto the relector.  But I haven't yet squirted water against them yet.... :o  Cheers,
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

adamb

I started taking the old seal off and and noticed that indeed it's not glued but clamped between the lens and the housing. Will take it apart and see if the new seal fits the bill.

Jan S

Rear light seals ordered  :)

I suspect water could also be seeping through the seal that goes across the entire trunk (see pic).

Are new seals available?

(yes, I will replace the rear trunk seal  ;D )
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

johnnyw116

Quote from: Jan S on 05 September 2023, 05:01 PMRear light seals ordered  :)

I suspect water could also be seeping through the seal that goes across the entire trunk (see pic).

Are new seals available?

(yes, I will replace the rear trunk seal  ;D )

i saw that one listed as available part number : A1166980397 , when you replace this seal you have to remove (again) the rear lights becouse there are on the outer L+R corner of the chrome trim a phillips head screw that is screwed in upwards
JohnnyW116

rumb

Center gasket  1166980397  @$200   :o
L   1166980197    NLA
R   1166980297    NLA

Not likely to be water ingress point, only a few screws holding it on.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

raueda1

I just came in from working on this very issue.  a few findings:

> New light seals were installed about 3 days ago.  I checked with a hose and it still leaked.   :P

> I had tightened the assembly to a point that seemed reasonable - not too hard, as I was afraid of cracking something, but pretty snug.  Today I rechecked and they were substantially looser, finger loose in a few cases.  So, it's apparent that the new gasket compresses to some extent and the whole assembly somehow settles into the car body.  However, after tightening the bolts it still leaked.  :P  :P

> I gently hose-sprayed the whole thing again and looked carefully where water was coming from.  It seemed as if it WAS coming from behind the trim gasket, or at least some of it.

> I removed the chrome piece discussed above.  The gasket was originally glued into the chrome trim, though the adhesive had come loose on most of it.  Still, the gasket was in fine shape.  EDIT:  on closer inspection it wasn't as good as I supposed.  Around the bolt holes the material had become quite compressed, creating some slits for water to get through.  So, replace it if you can.  But I won't, it's not so bad that a little sealant can't fix it (fingers crossed!).

Next steps:  Clean up the trim and gasket and seal using the 3M sealant.  Reinstall trim with sealant behind it.  Then reinstall light assembly using sealant.  I'm thinking a bead on the body is better than on the tail lamp.  Hopefully I'll get to it today.  Cheers,
-Dave

adamb

Seems like the season to remove lights and replace seals on this forum. I did mine tonight. Took them apart, cleaned, fitted new seals and reassembled. The pictures show the condition of the old rubber a nice stamp showing the date of manufacture. The car actually rolled off the production line in February of that year. And you can see the new seals in-situ. Once I refit there will be plenty of opportunities to test the new seals. Hopefully the leaks are eliminated or reduced significantly.

20230908_204512_compress52.jpg

20230908_204523_compress22.jpg

20230908_204224_compress88.jpg

20230908_204215_compress53.jpg

raueda1

Mine still leaked a little, though greatly improved.  I ended up putting a thin rope of window caulking material around the tail light opening in the car.  It's that gray, sticky, non-hardening stuff that comes in rolls on release paper.  Unlike many body sealants it's relatively easy to remove and traces can be removed using lighter fluid (naphtha spirits, mineral spirits, etc). Leaks gone!  Cheers,
-Dave

gavin116

Hi Adam

It's been a long time since I've been on the forum.

There is a trick to the tail light seals: you need to marry the seal to the metal frame only, and bolt this back into the tail light opening of the car body. Be sure to hand-tighten all the fixings, then you can nip them tighter in an even sequence (much as one does wheel nuts) to ensure that there is no distortion of the frame or tail light opening and that the seal is evenly compressed. If they are overtightened from one place working away, an element of distortion creeps in and the seal will leak. Once the tail light frame is secured in the car body then you re-attach the plastic lenses, again hand tightening evenly and then barely nipping them tight. You should now be leak-free.

Hope this helps.
Gavin
1979 450SE "Mrs White"
2022 Touareg-R 3.0TSi Hybrid
[url="http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/"]http://forum.w116.org/test-drive/my-first-w116-here-at-last/[/url]
[url="http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613"]http://forum.w116.org/the-org/british-near-london-meet/msg97613/#msg97613[/url]

adamb

Hi Gavin

Nice to hear from you. I come over to read some posts for a period then disappear again for a while. Currently back to following the posts...

I indeed followed the procedure that you describe. The seals fit fine without adhesive though I cannot say that it's become leak free. As the weather improves I will make time to investigate and redress.

Best wishes
Adam

adamb

I would like to replace the 3 rubber seals that together seem to be causing my continued water ingress issue. These are items 212, 228 and 230. The central item is available at a crazy cost and the edges are NLA. I came across this company who sell rubber by the sheet from which I can create a suitable seal-solid rubber  Does anybody have a better solution to recommend?

rumb

I soaked old seals with aero303. You might try a dab a sealant around each bolt to help seal.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

adamb

rubber is torn and a bit missing so it's not just a matter of resurrection.