News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Trunk leaks

Started by raueda1, 14 August 2023, 07:38 AM

raueda1

With my recent move to a place that rains, I've got several trunk leaks that I'm finally dealing with.  The main trunk seal has been nicely replaced by the previous owner, so I'm not concerned about that.  The other usual culprits seem to be a bad rear window seal and degraded tail light seals.  I have plans to deal with both of those.

Here's my main question.  After washing the car I've noticed that the trunk lid drips on the side from the bottom of the rear lip when opening the trunk lid.  The water comes from 2 (or 3?) small holes along the rear seam. They seem to be drip holes, but why?  And how does that water get in there in the first place?  I have no idea.  Maybe the holes for the badges aren't sealed?  Or maybe the button latch bar lets water in?  It seems like a lot of water comes out for those to be the causes.  But the fact that it does seems like a perfect design to rust out the seam.  Has anybody else noticed this?  Thoughts or ideas?  Thanks as always and cheers, 
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

adamb

Sadly I can't answer your questions directly but rather speak of my own experiences. Mine collects wash/rain water in the side wells. It's definitely coming from the light seals and tonight I've ordered replacements from a wonderful new (to me) source that somebody recommended on another forum - https://en.mbzclassicparts.com/. After replacing these major items I will check if there any further leaks and report. It won't be coming from the rear window seal as that's reasonably new. I doubt that water makes it in via the badges unless the holes have rusted through.

daantjie

Just a heads up those tail light seals can be tricky to replace.  Check out Kent's video at mercedessource on YouTube.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

Quote from: daantjie on 14 August 2023, 04:47 PMJust a heads up those tail light seals can be tricky to replace.  Check out Kent's video at mercedessource on YouTube.
I've heard likewise.  I looked for Kent's video but it didn't work.  Will keep trying.  I'm certgain that the taillights are at least part of the problem so I'm going to have to figure it out one way or another.  if I devise a clever way I'll certainly post it.  But Im' not holding my breath....   ???    Cheers,
-Dave

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

raueda1

-Dave

amilio

Also make sure you check the hose that drains water from the fuel filler cap; my tube had shrunk over the years and so all the water would drain into the right wheel well.
1979 300 SD "Liesel", 282k Miles

raueda1

Thanks to all for the comments.  The problem now is sourcing trail light gaskets, which seem to be unobtainium.  Also, does anybody know where the water goes when the window gasket leaks?  Cheers,
-Dave

raueda1

Quote from: raueda1 on 15 August 2023, 02:06 PMThanks to all for the comments.  The problem now is sourcing trail light gaskets, which seem to be unobtainium.  Also, does anybody know where the water goes when the window gasket leaks?  Cheers,
I think I managed to answer my own question HERE.  They offer all kinds of body gaskets, covers, etc etc.  Not OE but perfect reproductions if the descriptions are to believed.  If so this is the only source of rear light gaskets that I've been able to find. Prices don't seem too crazy though shipping is rather expensive.  But it becomes much more reasonable if you buy a number of things.  I'll report back on the results.  Cheers,
-Dave

Jan S

This is also on my to-do list.

Water leaks into all three wells ... the culprit seems to be the rear light seal.

Look forward to learning more about your endeavour, Dave. Hopefully the non-OEM rear light seals work.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

ptashek

Water can also leak through the small plastic grommet for the fuel flap central locking bolt.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

mrkozzy

If by chance your model has a rear mounted radio aerial, the perished rubber seal could be a source.
MrKozzy

raueda1

Problem solved.  These guys offer an excellent reproduction gasket, and not crazy expensive.  It is some kind of soft rubber material, not foam like the original.  It's probably better. 

First I cleaned everything carefully and sprayed the reflectors with mirror paint.  I was amazed at how much fine dust/dirt gets into the whole assembly.  BIG improvement!  The gasket is a little fiddly to install but not really hard.  After installing it on the reflector assembly and wiggling the lens in place, tighten the 4 main lens bolts in small increments while squishing the gasket into place.  Go around in a circle.  The material is soft enough to push into place.  Leave the side bolts loose until the end, then tighten them.  Seems to work great.  I replaced US lenses with the proper Euros and installed another brake light into the empty socket mount.  Wonderful!  This was a nice, easy upgrade that didn't cost a fortune. 

MBZ Classics also offers headlight gaskets and all sorts of other stuff.  I got new door bellows too and will redo the headlights eventually.  Their shipping is a little expensive but it seems to more like a kind of minimum.  Adding more stuff doesn't make much difference, so order all your things at once.  Happy motoring and cheers,
-Dave

Jan S

Fantastic, Dave - thanks for paving the way for the rest of us!

Will definitely order a set of these.
1975-mod W116 450 SE with 6.9 engine

rumb

I placed an order for several parts from them also.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio