News:

The ORG - 100% FREE advice!

Main Menu

Tail light clarification

Started by raueda1, 23 August 2023, 09:59 AM

raueda1

New gaskets are on the way, I'll be replacing them shortly.  In the meantime I noticed that the innermost red unit, that is, the one next to the clear back-up bulb, is empty.  No socket at all.  That doesn't seem right somehow.  Anybody know what's supposed to be there?  I certainly want to put that unit to work somehow, whether it's another brake bulb, or dual blinkers maybe.  Also, does anybody know if the sockets are available individually or only as part of the trunk-side tail light module containing the bulbs?  My searches have turned up nothing (As usual.  Of course after posting I'll find it.  ::) )  Of course if anybody is sitting on a couple of the sockets please do PM me!  Many thanks and cheers,

Edit:  More digging revealed that there are at least 2 kinds of W116 taillight rears (the part inside the trunk with the lights.)  Mine has individual, wired sockets.  The other has a kind of printed circuit board inside with sockets soldered to the traces.  they also seem to have different plugs.  So any clarification on that would also be great.  Thanks!
-Dave
Now:  1976 6.9 Euro, 2015 GL550
Before that:  1966 230S, 1964 220SE coupe, 1977 Carrera 3.0

daantjie

Some 116's had the rear fog lights wired in.  I'm not 100% sure but if you have blanks then they are provision for rear fogs, but likely you don't have the wiring for it anyway.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

Many versions exist!

Besides the 2nd one in you mention, there are some with one on the very outer.

NAPA probably has some sort of socket that you would fit and add wires.

The wiring connector has differences as well as right/left.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

mrkozzy

Australian delivered vehicles all had 1 rear fog lamp only.  Drivers side from memory.

The same section on the opposite lens was left empty with no internals.

I assume different parts of the globe had different requirements when it came to rear fog lights.
MrKozzy

mrkozzy

Further to this, my memory has been jolted.
Don't think I've ever seen any brand of vehicle in Australia with dual fog lights on the rear.
One is the norm and  I know this because of the abuse drivers get when they unintentionally switch their rear fog light on during the summer.
Now at the moment (I'm here in Europe), the Fiat I'm driving also has only one rear fog lamp. The opposing lens is blank.
MrKozzy

raueda1

Quote from: rumb on 23 August 2023, 12:25 PMMany versions exist!

Besides the 2nd one in you mention, there are some with one on the very outer.

NAPA probably has some sort of socket that you would fit and add wires.

The wiring connector has differences as well as right/left.
OMG.  Let it never be said that MB didn't practice continuous improvement.  ::)

So, I guess the blanks are indeed for fogs, which I don't have.  Or maybe removed for Federalization?  The right piece had been played with at some point so maybe that was a rear fog.  I'll never know.

In the meantime I found a very cheap used unit on ebay.  It's cheap cause somebody broke the housing prongs and "repaired" with tape.  But sockets are OK, so now I have a bunch of sockets to play with.  I'm not interested in a rear fog, even if it is wired (which I doubt).  I don't drive in fog.  So what do you think?  Add another brake light?  Or parking light?  Maybe another blinker?  FWIW, I replaced rear bulbs with LED lamps except for the blinker.  I wasn't confident that LED bulbs would work with the blinker relay.  It seems that often it's necessary to add a resistor and I was too lazy to pursue that.  But maybe 2 LED bulbs would work for the blinkers?  If anybody has tried, it would be nice to know.  Thoughts welcome!  Thanks much and cheers,
-Dave

Alec300SD

78 W116 300SD 'Desert Rose' new as of 01/26/2014
79 W116 300SD 'Stormcloud' RIP 04/11/2022

mrkozzy

FWIW, I replaced rear bulbs with LED lamps except for the blinker.  I wasn't confident that LED bulbs would work with the blinker relay.  It seems that often it's necessary to add a resistor and I was too lazy to pursue that.  But maybe 2 LED bulbs would work for the blinkers?  If anybody has tried, it would be nice to know.  Thoughts welcome!

I changed all my bulbs to LED some time ago, inside and out.

Can confirm the rear blinkers should work without the resistor, Not so the front. Go figure. Anyway adding resistors turned out to be such a simple task, it was well worth it.

I've uploaded a picture of 1 of 2 resistors I installed on each of the front blinkers, just for reference,

MrKozzy

mrkozzy

comparison with LED v Standard light bulbs in the rear.
MrKozzy

raueda1

Quote from: mrkozzy on 25 August 2023, 11:14 AMFWIW, I replaced rear bulbs with LED lamps except for the blinker.  I wasn't confident that LED bulbs would work with the blinker relay.  It seems that often it's necessary to add a resistor and I was too lazy to pursue that.  But maybe 2 LED bulbs would work for the blinkers?  If anybody has tried, it would be nice to know.  Thoughts welcome!

I changed all my bulbs to LED some time ago, inside and out.

Can confirm the rear blinkers should work without the resistor, Not so the front. Go figure. Anyway adding resistors turned out to be such a simple task, it was well worth it.

I've uploaded a picture of 1 of 2 resistors I installed on each of the front blinkers, just for reference,
Yes!  This is exactly where I'm headed.  Parts are in the mail.  Incidentally, I read that the front bulb (2-filament #1157) can't usually be replaced with the dual-brightness LED units cause the 2 pins combine in the same circuitry.  There's a youtube video on it.  To work there would need to be an LED unit having seperate LED cicuits for the respective contacts.  I couldn't find such a thing. Thanks and cheers,
-Dave

mrkozzy

And if you get to doing the main beam headlights, here is the "plug and play" style unit you should look for.  Installed simply and trouble free.
MrKozzy

mrkozzy

This is the front indicator globe LED replacement.
MrKozzy