News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Strange VIN number stamping

Started by jacku, 30 November 2008, 07:24 AM

jacku

Hello!
This is my first post on your forum. I am Mercedes enthusiast from Poland, I owe three MB W123 and  I am a member of the largest youngtimer Mercedes club in Poland (http://www.w114-115.org.pl).
I decided to ask You a questin on the VIN number stamped on the firewall in the W116 which one of my colleague is going to buy.The car is going to be imported from France, but I am not sure if it was made for France market.The issue is the strange looking stamp of VIN/Chassis number on the firewall . The first 6 numbers are  repeated before the proper number stamp.*116.024 *116 024 12 150920* (Sorry there is no picture but I do not know how to paste the pics.)
The VIN number ( the proper part) matches the number on the  plate fixed to frame in front of  the radiator.
Have anyone of You seen such a numbers?.We are afraid that  it may be an effect of illegal number transfer from another car.Unfortunately there is no possibility to check the firewall personally or look for  hidden code-cards.
Thank You for any suggestions.

Jacek

s class

As far as I know, the firewall and the plate above the radiator are the only places where the VIN appears on 116's, so there are no other numbers to cross-check. 

For your number : 116 024 12 150920

116 = chassis series
024 = 280SE
12 = left hand steering, Automatic transmission
150920 = sequence number.  This would make it one of the last german built 280SE's, either late '79 or early '80. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

TJ 450

The VIN or Chassis Nr. can also be recorded on various "Data Cards" around the vehicle, such as behind the rear seat backrest, under the front seats, behind the ashtray or under the rear hatshelf.

Does the car have a Service Booklet?

Ideally, it would be good if you could post a pic of this VIN anomaly. :)

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

jacku

Thank you guys for answers, as I wrote there is no possibility to check the car personaly and look for the hidden code-cards or to check the firewall stamp.
Here is the original post from our forum, as the first picture  there is a problematic number  , you can find also  the plates from the frame above the radiator.The car matches the VIN but the number itsefl looks strange.

oscar

Hi jacku.  Very interesting.  I  haven't seen this before.

I have a metal stamp set that matches the type/font of the chassis number perfectly, so I could change VIN if I was creative enough.

However, there has been anomalies in the past, the most notable one being CraigS' 6.9 example where a 6.9 of his has crosses stamped over one VIN and another VIN placed below.  The rest arouse suspicion sometimes because of the way the number has been stamped by hand rather than machine in earlier examples and can look messy.

One thing is important about the number in the picture.  The mercedes circle and star stamp either side of the numbers.  These would be much harder to copy.  The next thing I would do would be to take off the rubber strip above the number and peel back the firewall a little to look for evidence of welding or anything that might be suspicious but personally I think the number is real and ok.

1973 350SE, my first & fave

jacku

Thank for your replies, the VIN  mystery is almost figured out.As the car is from France I have asked the same question at the French MB forum ( W116)-  you can check their answers here.
Thank You
Jacek

OzBenzHead

Quote from: s class on 30 November 2008, 10:17 AM[...] 116 = chassis series
024 = 280SE
12 = left hand steering, Automatic transmission
150920 = sequence number.  This would make it one of the last german built 280SE's, either late '79 or early '80. 

My daily driver (Boris) is # 116 024 22 155504 and, according to the data card (confirmed by the Classic Center) he left the factory on 17.12.1979 - and yes, he is a Stuttgart build. If the sequence numbers follow a strict logical progression regardless of whether left- or right-hand drive, that makes the car in question no later than the first half of December '79.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

s class

The photo of the 6.9 with a deleted VIN is interesting.  Some 5 or more years ago there was an anthracite 6.9 for sale on ebay in the US also with a similar stamping setup.  So if CraigS also has one, thats three 6.9's we know of where the factory made VIN errors.  I'll see if I can dig out a pic of the ebay car this evening. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

CraigS

I thought I had a photo of mine somewhere, but can't find it, but it is very clearly a row of XXXX's. It was built on a Saturday so maybe they had a nice lunch at the pub !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

oscar

LOL, built on a Saturday in Oktober no doubt.

I remember seeing your photo Craig but be buggered if I could find it or a reference to it.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

CraigS

It's on the M100 site somewhere - posted by RonB, but he has too many posts to sift through !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

s class

Big_Richard

that's just a sign of these cars being built by hand, clearly on that grey 6.9, someone stuffed up and started imprinting the VIN in the incorrect location, was probably severely repremanded and then the error corrected.

s class

I wouldn't like to try and get it though a police inspection though. 

johnnyw116

there even exist mercedes without vin numbers and other identification tags on it , in holland the special security service drive cars (also mercedes benz) without vin ot identification numbers , this was told to me by a senior chief of an mercedes benz dealership and we came to this conversation becouse i was going to get some parts for an 560SEL and this car had an not mercedes like vin number so i couldnt order some parts with the vin number , and so the senior chief i was talking to told me the story about the no vin number cars and the strange vin number there was in the car was put in by the holland vehicle department for the first registration when the cars go up for sale ( in auctions )

greetings : johnny  .         
JohnnyW116