News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Mercedes W116 panels wanted

Started by mirafioriman, 30 August 2006, 05:34 PM

mirafioriman

Hi there,

As I am starting to restore my very rusty 6.9, I am on the lookout for any body panels. Anything considered, but must be genuine Mercedes and not pattern parts. (Located in the UK so parts closer to home would be better to save carriage costs)
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

alabbasi

If your looking for genuine parts, your best bet is to talk to the dealer. The MB dealer on the Great West Rd in Ealing offers discounts to club members.

I've used pattern front wings and they worked out well for me. There are degrees of pattern parts. Good luck in finding used rust free parts in the UK. You can try looking on the main land. http://dbdepot.de is one vendor that may have the parts you need.

All the best and I'll look forward to seeing your progress.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

mirafioriman

Thanks for your reply. Have already bought a new inner sill and a chassis part from my dealer. Unfortunately I am finding that some parts are 'no longer available'. I am afraid to say that Mercedes old policy of being able to supply every part for any mercedes (although it may cost a lot!) is no longer true. I am trying to locate new old stock parts to keep costs down as some parts which are available from the dealer are just silly prices!
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

Mforcer

Quote from: mirafioriman on 31 August 2006, 06:40 AM
Unfortunately I am finding that some parts are 'no longer available'. I am afraid to say that Mercedes old policy of being able to supply every part for any mercedes (although it may cost a lot!) is no longer true.

Hi Mirafloriman and welcome to our forum!

Your dealer is just being lazy or making the assumption that you do not want to pay silly prices for parts. Mercedes-Benz will indeed supply any part but you will need very, very deep pockets if the part in need is to be reproduced. When a dealer says that something is no longer available, they are just referring to their regular stock.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

alabbasi

I'm not sure about the last statement, my dealer told me that the floor pans were no longer available so I had to have my body guys make a floor for my car. I called a few of them including the MB classic center in LA.

He did say that if enough people enquire about floor, they would run another batch.

In my humble opinion, you may be better off looking for a rust free W116 parts car from Greece or Spain. With the amount of rust on your car it will probably be the cheaper option.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.

OzBenzHead

As for stealerships declaring parts to be "no longer available from any source" - a story I've heard time and again from my local stealership and even occasionally from M-B Australia-Pacific itself - I regard it as bullsh*t until I've heard it from the Classic Center in Fellbach.  If they can't or won't supply it, then it probably isn't available.

Odd, though, how such "unavailable" parts are frequently available from my one-shop (i.e. not a big chain operation, not a franchise), totally independent parts supplier in Oz, who gets them either NOS (new old stock) or, even better, brand new from the OEMs in Europe.  Further to that, his prices are ridiculously low on many items and, at worst, very modest compared with the official stealership prices.

Although there are known exceptions, official stealerships (in Oz) do not generally have a strong reputation on supplying parts (or service!) for any Benz more than about a decade old.  They are simply not interested - they just want new-car sales.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

mirafioriman

These comments echo others that I have heard here in the UK. My local dealer does however try very hard for me, and so they should given the thousands of pounds of parts my family has bought from them! Having personally visited the classic centre in fellbach last week, I can confirm that one part I wished to order (a chassis section) IS no longer available. In England my local dealer confirmed this independently although unlike the classic centre it took them two weeks and many emails to MB UK. I am sure there are some of the said part on a shelf somewhere, the problem is finding them! Some dealers claim to be able to source any part, so I rang one today and they think that the part number does not exist! I know it does but is NLA.

s class

Mirafioriman,

I have seen your pics at dropshot.  Absolutely incredible.  It looks like a really exciting project, if a huge one.  I would be interested to hear the story of this car.  I gather it is supposedly a very low mileage car that for some reason fell into terrible neglect?  And the PO stripped off all the paint and then left it out in the weather for 2 years?  ENGLISH weather?

If you ever feel downhearted at the quantity of work yo have taken on, remember us 116 fans arounf the world are wishing you all the best and strength.

Ryan in South Africa

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

mirafioriman

Thanks for your comments. I am not sure if the mileage is genuine as I have no service history, although there are some MOT certificates to show that if it has been clocked or had a new speedo it must have been done before about 1990! I will try to keep updating dropshots, although progress has stopped for a little while....

Regards,

Dave.

ponton

Martin 280s

Hi,
Try Rob at Threepointedparts@hotmail.com He has a e-Bay shop and his prices are very reasonable. Do let him know it was Martin fron Brazil who recommended his services. I've been buying from him for a while now and he has NEVER given any reason for me to complain.

Gerard

Quote from: Martin 280s on 04 January 2011, 05:07 AM
Hi,
Try Rob at Threepointedparts@hotmail.com He has a e-Bay shop and his prices are very reasonable. Do let him know it was Martin fron Brazil who recommended his services. I've been buying from him for a while now and he has NEVER given any reason for me to complain.

Yep, I also got a few bits from him, and he was very helpful and reasonably priced.
I guess, mirafioriman, that you already know about Walter Nieuwkoop, classicmercedesbenz up North?  He has a few w116 bits at the minute.
I also use ebay.de a lot.

calvin streeting

how about http://www.oldpanels.com/ .. could be worth a go. search "MERCEDES" - "SERIES 116"

EDZ649

Dave, are you just looking for NOS panels or would you consider good secondhand? Also what panels do you need specifically?

Leigh.

adamb

Hi Mirafioriman,

Good to hear that you are persisting with the 6.9 challenge and, oh boy, you do have a big challenge :)

I'm getting my 6.9 restored presently. To reduce costs and get OE panels I got a 450SEL parts car. The car will be collected in a couple of weeks time and will be delivered to me in London. I might have some of the parts you need. This parts car looks more solid than most. Please let me know what you are after.

Cheers,
Adam