News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Leatherique

Started by Brian Crump, 06 March 2007, 08:17 PM

Brian Crump

Leatherique has a new distributor in Australia and they are again stocking the crack filler and dyes again.They are;
Permanent Painted Coatings Pty Ltd
1/4 Prosperity Parade
Warriewood Sydney NSW 2102
Phone: 1 800 643 229
Fax: (02) 9999-0394
I figured this is something 116ers might want to know, as the crack filler and dyes were out of stock for a while.
Regards,
BC

Brian Crump

Just an update on Leatherique.
The dash pad on the RR is black leather and refused to accept Leatherique oil - it just sat on the surface. I emailed Leatherique in the USA and they advised that I clean it with ISP alcohol to remove any silicone spray (and use 1000 grit paper if necessary) and then to keep feeding it with oil until it was saturated. I did. It's a job only for the brave though - I used metho which removed layers and layers of black gunk (some sort of after market colouring agent ? Maybe boot polish?) and the result was horrible. The black kept washing out until the leather looked dark grey and hard. It looked like I had completely ruined the leather  :-[ To say nothing about ruining my day, month, life  :(
After 2 days of feeding it with oil it has come up a soft, healthy black colour like it should be. PHEW!!!!
I have found the guys at Leatherique keen to help and obvioulsy know how their product works.
I did NOT use the sandpaper and I don't think I would unless the leather was rough or damaged.
End result is a dash pad like new. ;D
BC

Brian Crump

For about 24 hours my heart was around my ankles.........
However, the result was worth the angst.
How much would a new dash pad be? ARGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
anyway -  ;D ;D ;D
BC

Grant V

Brian,

This was actually a question that I was going to post here: Is there any way one can preserve a dashboard, or is it destined to crack? I have always been under the assumption that plastics cannot be fed, unlike natural products such as leather, but it seems I am wrong about that.
So you recommend a Leatherique product to feed the dash and to prevent it from  crackling?

Grant
"You've bought another bloody car?!? We should have you committed!" he shrieked, storming out of the room

Brian Crump

Grant - I'm not too sure about the answer to your question. My RR dash pad is leather. However, I understand that Leatherique is useful in preserving synthetic dash pads. My suggestion would be to go to www.leatherique.com and email them a question - I have found them happy to answer all sorts of questions. I use Leatherique on my 450SE dash pad but of course it does not soak into the synthetic. Someone else may have more information on this than I do.
Regards,
BC

Mforcer

I am going to give this a try some time soon. Haven't seen much of my car lately :(
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200