Started by andy77, 22 November 2009, 04:52 PM

andy77

Is this a fair price?

$4000.00 US
154k miles

Here are some pics

Big_Richard

I'd be happy with that price.

It seems kinda low for such a tidy example, and the milage is relatively low too. Nothing to worry about there in terms of price.

flutes

Matt
1977 450SEL

jmperkins

Does it  have maintenance records? When did it last pass smog? Actual mileage? If suspicious, pull a valve cover and check inside of valve covers especially to see if the valve timing gears line up (possible stretched timing gears), maintenance done on the hydroneumatic suspension? Ever in a wreck? Oil leaks? Original paint? Multiple owners?

I only ask these questions as from a "looks" standpoint, that is a terrific price in my opinion BUT if there are problems in some of the above areas, you could easily spend another unplanned 4K!

Good luck,
Joe

andy77

The owner was really honest as far as I know...

he said that it was hit at the grocery and the back needs to be fixed (bumper and braket)...he said he replaced the two front accumulators and he told me the back ones need to be replaced and thats why it dips, but according to Neil at Starmotors its the real level valve instead
he said there was a seal problem with the rear window and instead of having it taken out and risk the glass being broken he put black cauking it in..

he never mentioned rust and I never asked.

The car was owned by his father and himself.

I don't mind putting in between 2k and 20k over the years as I think of this car as a long term investment and hopefully a joy to drive.

jmperkins

Hi,
I'm not sure where you are in CA or if you are in CA  but I have a guy in El Cerrito/Richmond area that has replaced 2 of my   rear windshield seals on my w116s. He worked like a dog for an hour and a half , I supplied the seal and yes, you have to be careful and there is a lot to it. I would be happy to refer you to him if you get the car and are at all close. He charged me less than $200 and it was WORTH IT!

Regards,
Joe Perkis

andy77

Joe,

Yes the I would like to get in touch with this guy....what is his contact information?

Also where do you have your car serviced?

I am in Los Angeles, but do not mind driving a bit for great service and such.

Thank you!

Andrew

flutes

Andy I'd ask some more questions about rust - w116's are prone to a bit of rust, and if there have been issues with the rear windshield seal that would be something to check out.

Common problem areas:

• Underneath the footwells
  • The wells on both sides of the car inside the trunk (not sure what you call these!)
  • The sunroof and its drainage holes
  • Around the trunk seal
  • Around the rear lights
  • Around the fuel flap/cap

FYI I had my rear windshield seal replaced last year - the part came from Autohaus AZ and I had a local windshhield company install it.  A bit more expensive that Joe's installation but it is worth it - it's certainly a two-man job and one for the pros.

Good to see that you're willing to spend some money on it - I took the same attitude with my 450SEL.  However the return that one gets from this sort of investment is the satisfaction of having a great car - you will never get a positive financial return from owning one of these!  That said, the enjoyment I get out of it is significantly greater than the few thousand dollars I put into it each year!

If the bumpers need fixing perhaps that would be a good opportunity to get your hands on the Euro-style bumpers!
Matt
1977 450SEL

jmperkins

Hi Andrew,
The rear windshield seal installer is Pro-Tech Auto Glass in Vallejo, CA. phone number is 888-312-8324. The owner (one man operation) charged me $130 for the install a year ago.

I don't have a regular benz mechanic. As I was here in Vegas working a contract this year, I had doctorbenz.org fix my wife's 280SE Air conditioning (would definitely recommend Marco-he was recommended on this website . I try to do my own servicing but don't always succeed  ;D

Take good care,
Joe