News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Euro Bumper Conversion

Started by nathanyork, 13 February 2007, 03:58 PM

nathanyork

Ok, so I bought these euro bumpers on ebay for my 79 US spec 6.9.   I put the car on my lift and started to look at it.  Any idea how to get the bolts off the rear US brackets?  the bottom two on each side of the bumper shocks/brackets were easy, but the top bolts seem inaccessable. seem to be metric 13. no room up top of the bracket as the black rubber filler peice is in the way.  by the way is that retained and used with the euro bumper on the back or not?  I have not even looked a the front yet.  Any tips or things to look out for?

Thanks

Nathan York
1979 6.9
1971 280 SL
1962 220SE Cabriolet

oscar

Hi Nathan,

Although I know conversions have been done before, nobody has ever posted a how-to.  So you've got the job ;D ;)

I have Euro's being in Aus but have a look at the pics on the following links.  They are only of the front sorry, I have not removed the rear before.

The first link is Alabassi's US 6.9 he restored, the second is of my 350.  Both show the cross member up front, the only difference being alabassi's has a bracket either side to attach the US bumper assembly.  I think from memory, the 6 x 17-19mm(approx) main bolts on the crossmember visible on mine are in the same spot on US cars within those brackets.

Does that make sense :-\  If it doesn't help for the rear setup, at least you'll know what to expect up front.

Alabassi's pics
Aus 350

I should've mentioned: - have a look thru alabassi's site, apart from being bloody good, there's probably some decent shots of the rear with bumper's removed that may help too
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Nutz

Use a gearwrench to access the top bolts but the easiest way is to remove all the 8mm bolts that hold the filler strip that runs above the bumper to the valance and you'll have all the room you need.

Vad El

Mercedes-Benz W116 450SEL '1979, armoured by Ernesto Pavesi S.p.a Milan Italia
Chrysler Crossfire "Limited" 3.2 Roadster '2006

Mforcer

Quote from: oscar on 13 February 2007, 06:02 PM
Although I know conversions have been done before, nobody has ever posted a how-to.  So you've got the job ;D ;)

Yes, details including photos would be most helpful to others wanting to do the same in the future. It would also be very interesting to everyone else! :)
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

alabbasi

The rear is pretty straight forward, the front requires you to weld in mounts.
With best regards

Al
Dallas, TX USA.