News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

Boot/trunk seal fitment

Started by SteveDuNord, 19 December 2023, 10:18 AM

SteveDuNord

I've bought a new seal but am not sure whether the current one is oriented correctly.

I'll just post the pics. Side first then above rear bumper and finally rear window. It's coming away and deformed in parts.

I'm sure it will become obvious once I remove the seal and see the channel but does that look correct?
The pointed part of the seal seems to go in at a 45 degree angle.
'77 280se

daantjie

Yup it'll become pretty obvious once you look at the new seal.  The part that sits under the plastic sill is wider. 
Make sure you clean out all the old glue properly.  As with most jobs it's all in the prep.  I just used a silicone sealer type glue to glue it back in running a generous bead in the channel.  Has held up now for almost 10 years.
Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

SteveDuNord

Quote from: daantjie on 19 December 2023, 02:47 PMYup it'll become pretty obvious once you look at the new seal.  The part that sits under the plastic sill is wider. 
Make sure you clean out all the old glue properly.  As with most jobs it's all in the prep.  I just used a silicone sealer type glue to glue it back in running a generous bead in the channel.  Has held up now for almost 10 years.

Thanks. I'm waiting for the rain to quit, should be done in a month or two.  ::)

I'm not sure my seal has a wider bit, bought it off eBay. Can't be any worse than the thing already fitted.
'77 280se