News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

fuse box removal

Started by calvin streeting, 10 July 2011, 07:05 AM

calvin streeting

hi. I want to remove my fuse box, to do some water leak work. I know that the fuse box is held in place by bolts through the fire wall. but how much do i need to pull out to get the fuse box out of the way?

any tips helpfull

mirafioriman

From memory, to remove it completely you will need to disconnect a lot of wiring. When I stripped the 450 I had for spares I seem to remember it wasn't a particularly nice job :'(
I'm called Dave! I currently own: Mercedes W116 450 SEL 6.9, Mercedes W109 300 SEL 6.3, Mercedes W126 420 SEL, Fiat 130 Berlina, Fiat 131 Supermirafiori, Fiat 131 Panorama, Fiat 132 2000, Fiat Argenta and a Citroen Xantia.

jbrasile

Yes... not a fun project...

After taking off all the covers under the dash you need to remove a metal bar/plate that is perpendicular to the firewall and is attached to the two lower screws that hold the fuse box to the firewall itself and to the front of the dash. Once that is out the way  untie the harnesses, undo the two top fuse box nuts and you should be able to move it out of the way for for your leak repair. I strongly recommend that you do not remove the fuse box completely since there will be a lot of wires to reconnect and you run the risk of getting something wrong.

Tks,

Joe

siddiqiumar

I took a digital camera & before removing the wires of the fuse box kept taking pictures after removing a set of visible wires then proceeding to next picture. That way u can easily fix back the wires. But remember as the wires are tangles & one on top of another u need to take many pictures as wires below become properly visible only after removing the top ones.

When fitting waires back blow up the pics on  alaptop screen as digital cam screen wont give proper view
Best of luck