News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Shop / Anyone with an ebay sellers ac...
Last post by floyd111 - Yesterday at 07:07 PM
I am looking for someone that has an ebay sellers account with a proper sales ceiling permission.
Since I am in Taiwan, ebay simply throws us in with China, and raising sellers limits is nearly impossible. I have been trying for nearly 10 years. It seems impossible to list items with a combined value over 500 usd at any given time.
I have a whole storage room full of desirable parts to sell, and would be willing to pay a percentage over everything sold on that sellers account.
There would be room for 2 accounts, one for Europe,  especially, and one via ebay.com, north american territories.

Thanks,
Stan
Mechanicals / Re: 1977 450 SEL Ignition Cyli...
Last post by Feather535 - Yesterday at 06:38 PM
My 77 280 SE (US model) has the same configuration.  I took it apart about a year ago, but I don't remember for sure how I did it.  I may have done it from behind the dash with the cluster out.
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: What part is this?
Last post by daantjie - Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Never seen that.  If there's no star or part number on it highly unlikely it's a Benz part.
Interiors & Exteriors / What part is this?
Last post by fichtl500 - Yesterday at 03:39 PM
I found this part while cleaning out parts, can't remember where it belongs. No part number, maybe it doesn't belong on the car. But I want to be sure.
Interiors & Exteriors / Re: door panel UV / sun damage
Last post by floyd111 - 28 February 2024, 08:39 PM
Quote from: raueda1 on 23 September 2023, 09:56 AM
Quote from: floyd111 on 23 September 2023, 02:20 AMMay I also add that bleaching them with anything known may or may not help, but it will very likely come back to a worse color with a vengeance, after some months.

My best info is to purchase Rustoleum vinyl primer and vinyl spray.
Heard these are solid products.
Bleaching might improve the color but it won't do the plastic any good.  Bleach is a very strong oxidizer and oxidation is the root cause of the discoloration.  Best to paint, as you say.  Cheers,

ps- welcome back, by the way!

BTW, I gave the Rustoleum vinyl primer and vinyl spray a go, refurbishing a mid console seat cushion for the W116. It really works well. Must say that depending on the condition of the item, you may need more layers of vinyl spray than you may have calculated
Mechanicals / Re: 6.9 bundts tyres
Last post by BCK1963 - 28 February 2024, 03:20 PM
Update for those interested or concerned:

Swiss vehicles with a certain age and status of originality get the so-called Veterans status. This comes with some financial benefits but that is not much and crucial, the reputation of having a Veteran is usually more important.

Ramiro has provided some offical MB statements regarding the approval of bundts like the Maxilite for the 6.9. (Thanks again, also for the informative phone call).

The Swiss Technical authority is unable to approve the bundts under the umbrella of the Veteran status because the MB statement for R15 bundts is not valid in Switzerland simply because MB Suisse did not adopt the statement, for whatever reason. Means that here the Veterans status is possible exclusively with the original R14 bundts.

I can get approval of the R15 bundts but at the expense of loss of the Veterans approval.

The Tech authority guy told me that this is a common problem also with other MB cars.
Here's to the swiss neutrality and independence.
Mechanicals / Re: Help, fuel issue
Last post by raueda1 - 28 February 2024, 11:48 AM
Quote from: rumb on 27 February 2024, 02:50 PMAll well.... fired up next day and idled just fine.

Draining rad for 3rd of 4th time now this time to install new radiator overflow hose. Found one MB made after they transitioned the overflow tank to have a larger outet,  It has one end larger to fit!

Also need to remove lower radiator hose for access to drill hole in frame and install rivnut to hold the Fanfare Horn mounting bar. The hole on the other end uses the mounting for the oil tank hose guard.  Pictures soon....
That's great news, and certainly a big relief.  Because......  you just never know.  My car did the same after rebuild, basically 1 blue puff and that was it.  I had to fiddle with idle adjustments a little but that was it.  Cheers
Test Drive / Re: 280" Concourse; Diary of a...
Last post by floyd111 - 28 February 2024, 04:55 AM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IWD2hHkbh5w&feature=youtu.be

Here s a video of the NOS aluminum and chrome trim. Pretty much everything is for sale.
There are 3 or 4 used items in between, but they are mint as can be and will not be sold as NOS. Some NOS items have signs of aging and some have tape-glue residue. Most of it is absolutely mint. The wheel caps are 10x mint without a scratch or dent in the metal and 5x with a microscopic scratch or dent. Detailed pics can be supplied of every item. The paint is to be removed. There are no sets of 4, 5, with the same color anyways and the paint is not immaculate. Please consider that this is not a dump sale. I paid market prices for most of it and I expect offers that reflect that. Please check the internet to see about other NOS offers, if any, and then consider what the value is anno 2024. I am OK selling beneath those prices, but within reason.
Shop / Re: The day has come: Goldie i...
Last post by daantjie - 27 February 2024, 07:32 PM
Yeah I've always maintained that the 116 is the ugly girl at the classic Benz dance.  Really not sure why but it's a generational thing as far as I can tell.

Boomers like their Pagodas and 107's.  Then Millenials like the 190 and up and maybe the 126.

Only us GenX'ers get the 116 I think.  But that's fine by me  8)