News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: W116 Purchase Prospect?
Last post by Neil4speed - 29 August 2024, 10:05 AM
Wanted to see what the update was! Are you the owner of this nice 300SD?
Test Drive / Re: My W116
Last post by Neil4speed - 29 August 2024, 10:03 AM
Super cool, how did the same car come to you? Did you see it posted and remembered?
Last post by revilla - 28 August 2024, 10:59 PM
Cool story, beautiful car!
And that brandy to celebrate.

Sticker in front bumper?
Can't see it.
Maybe I need some of that brandy myself.

We're here to help.
Don't hesitate if you have questions.
Last post by Jackhammer - 28 August 2024, 06:02 PM
What was wrong with having a 14 year old car? especially of such quality  ;D
 How did you manage to find exactly that one after all these years? 
Mechanicals / Re: My 1985 MB 300 SD will cra...
Last post by rumb - 28 August 2024, 09:56 AM
https://handbook.w116.org/Engine/

Will have lots of info on your engine and jobs to test glow plugs.

Mechanicals / Re: My 1985 MB 300 SD will cra...
Last post by ramiro - 28 August 2024, 05:00 AM
How long did you crank the engine , if it's not cold it should start without glow plugs if you crank for like 1 minute , also did you see smoke from the exhaust while cranking?

There is also alway the forced way to start an diesel with starting fluid or flamable brake cleaner , if it starts with that and doesn't keep running you have a problem with you fuel supply.

With a diesel there aren't many things needed to get it started just fuel and compression.
They are very sensitiving with getting air into the fuel system , so if you have a small leak somewhere the diesel could flow back to the tank when the engine is off and while doing that pulling air in.
Mechanicals / My 1985 MB 300 SD will crank b...
Last post by TimTosser - 27 August 2024, 06:09 PM
So a little info to get you up to speed. I bought this Mercedes from a fellow co worker about a month ago, I needed a car and I've always liked older models compared to the newer ones, the interior looked great and it ran , I was excited to own something so cool and have it for around 5000$ as my first car.  I know nothing of cars at all. I work in a complicated electrical field so I figured wrapping my head around these old diesel systems would be a tight learning curve but doable if I put my mind too it. The car was running, and thats all I needed for now. It was a bit slow to acceleration but would get me up to 80 mph on roads I was allowed to go that fast on. Glow plug sound would go every time and it would start without a hitch every time. Up until last week, It would crank for a minute and not start. I would recycle the glow plugs and try again, nothing. One more time and it would go,  puff of white smoke would come out the muffler and Id let her run for a few minutes and than head out to work. For about a week this was a my morning routine. Once I was at work, and would get let out for lunch, it would start just fine, and on the way home it would start fine. Than the next morning it would repeat. Until this weekend where I went to start it on Saturday and there it goes, cranking but not starting. Tried a few more times, and this time nothing. It'll crank but just wont start. I'm still in the process of moving so funds are a bit tight and Im without tools for now. I looked up a few things, I haven't tried the glow plugs for volts and ohms yet, but I did unscrew the manual primer to give it a few primes just to see if the fuel filter wasn't getting any fuel, to my dismay when I unscrewed the primer and as I pushed in on it a decent amount of diesel came out. I left it at that. I had the guy I bought it from swing by and look at it, we connected batteries cause the battery is dying now due to trying to get it started, with a bit of charge, it still wouldn't start, just cranking. I bought a repair kit for the lift pump and the replacement for the primer, that after a few days of letting sit is leaking now. Just hoping for a few bits of advice, cause Id like to learn this and do it myself before having to save a bit of cash and turning it over to a mechanic.
Mechanicals / Re: Red oil in cylinder head
Last post by Jm4635 - 26 August 2024, 07:45 PM
Very much black, haven't got around to giving them a good scrub yet
Test Drive / Re: My 6.9's
Last post by rumb - 26 August 2024, 05:50 PM
A bit like automotive archeology. My car had minor damage on 3 corners and also had a major rust removal around rear wheel arches. One full repaint. All looked like pretty good work.
Mechanicals / Re: Red oil in cylinder head
Last post by rumb - 26 August 2024, 08:25 AM
Id think those intake runners should be clean aluminum, not black. I suspect ATF but not sure what path. What do the piston tops look like?