News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Window regulator for passe...
Last post by chuckywoody - Today at 05:30 PM
Hello - 1977 450 SEL - trying to remove the right front (passenger) side window regulator.  Read that you have to remove the motor first to get it past the window rail and if there aren't access holes, you have to drill them.  No access holes on mine, and this does not seem very MB engineering to have to drill holes.  How did they get it in there in the first place?  Maybe they install the window and guide rails after?  Thought this would be fairly straightforward but I'm stuck. Any help appreciated.
Shop / Manuasls FS
Last post by rumb - Today at 12:10 PM
Mechanicals / 450sel mystery ignition wire
Last post by sbetts - Yesterday at 02:23 PM
Hello again,

I'm currently going through my ignition system and found the green and red wires coming from the resistor and SI standard switch gear, to a cable connector, and then to below the distributor where it ends on a donut looking coupler that is disconnected. Where is this supposed to go? What does it do?
Test Drive / Re: Finally! A proper license...
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 12:23 PM
Colorado you owned the plate and could transfer to a different car. They recently stopped that and you cannot transfer plates to a different vehicle now.

I have a low number plate (LU-115) that I have had since 1972 that has been on several of my cars and is now on my 300se. The plate number format is that LU was the starting letters for my county.  Back when you got new plates every year the county commissioners would get numbers 1-5 or so. After they went thru all those numbers the next letters were LV-x.  1972 my buddy and I stood in line at 4:30 am to get the last issue of yearly plates.  He got LU-110 and I got LU-115. I still see a few other cars in town with the LU plates!

Another cool plate is YOM - year of manufacture.  You get a regular plate and then a vintage one, and the state ties the 2 together in their records.  You have to keep the new plate in the car, and the 1928 plate is on the rear of my Model A.  There is a year limit for this option.
Test Drive / Re: Finally! A proper license...
Last post by raueda1 - Yesterday at 06:16 AM
Quote from: rumb on 03 May 2024, 04:41 PMHere in Colorado, license customized plates are a big source of income for them.  There are hundreds of special designs as well as the ability to put your own text on a lot of them.  The custom plates I think cost an additional $25 per year.

https://dmv.colorado.gov/license-plates
Same here, more or less. US$96 initially then just past of regular registration fee every 3 years.
Mechanicals / Re: Possible fuse issue?
Last post by ptashek - Yesterday at 04:45 AM
Quote from: Hunter649 on 03 May 2024, 06:04 PMHey all,

First time poster but been lurking here for a while. I've just bought a '77 280SE a few weeks back, while driving it last night the radio, antenna motor, central locking and dash clock all stopped at once. I assume this is some kind of fuse issue but wanted to get some more experienced insight before I go pulling things apart and investigating the strange clicking coming from the glove-box region.

Thanks!!
Mitch

Welcome!
A fuse also wouldn't pop for no reason. The fuse is blue, indicating it's a 25A rated one, while circuit #1 needs a white 8A fuse. Try disconnecting things on that circuit one at a time, see how power draw looks like. Could be a dead short to ground somewhere.

I recently had a similar issue on my W124 - one day it just randomly blew out a couple 25A fuses. Turned out to be a failed alternator voltage regulator, outputting 17V instead of 14.2V. Might be worth a check too.
Last post by Hunter649 - Yesterday at 02:29 AM
Hey all!

Appreciate the responses, it was absolutely fuse #1, quick and easy fix when you know what you're looking for.

Thanks for the assist and the warm welcome 😊
Last post by revilla - 03 May 2024, 11:07 PM
This might help too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAq0t_Fmb7A

It isn't uncommon to find fuses values in the wrong location.

It's a good opportunity to check (or replace) all that.

Hope it helps.
Last post by revilla - 03 May 2024, 11:02 PM
Hi,

Probably a previous owner upgraded the locks to selenoids, which would explain your situation.

Here's the fusebox diagram. Probably fuse 1 I presume. Pay attention that sometimes the fuse itself is fine, but the problem comes from dirty contacts right at the interface with the tabs. Try moving it in circular motion and/or spray some contact cleaner and rub with a plastic soft brush (never metal). Guarantee problem is that. It happens all the time with these W116s and many other models from that era.

Please keep us posted.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the wonderful ownership Mercedes world.

Last post by daantjie - 03 May 2024, 08:15 PM
Locks are vacuum operated so that has nothing to do with fuses.