News:

The W116 Library - The definitive W116 resource!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: 280se very fast indicator
Last post by Sparkar - Today at 04:58 PM
Got the bulb out with a pair of pliers.
Shopping for a p21W or BA15S replacement today.
Shop / Re: Brand new genuine MB lower...
Last post by daantjie - Today at 04:17 PM
I think because the set is not "matched" it may be a tough sell.  Seeing as it's for non 6.9 and 6.9 radiator top/bottom usually one would replace both as a set. Just my thoughts  8)
Shop / Re: Brand new genuine MB lower...
Last post by Jan S - Today at 11:51 AM
No interest?
Shop / Re: Vacuum Modulator Part #123...
Last post by daantjie - Today at 10:37 AM
Quote from: fichtl500 on Today at 06:34 AMJust a quick question, what is the purpose of this valve on the transmission. What does?
Mine is a very rusty all metal version.

It controls the firmness of the shift.  Benz transmissions should have a firm shift, especially the 1-2 shift with no slipping or flaring whatsoever.
Shop / Re: Vacuum Modulator Part #123...
Last post by fichtl500 - Today at 06:34 AM
Just a quick question, what is the purpose of this valve on the transmission. What does?
Mine is a very rusty all metal version.
Last post by daantjie - Today at 02:02 AM
Might be best to remove the cluster and do the job on the work bench.  Likely the fitting is corroded so you'll have to use some spray lube like PB Blaster or WD40 to get it to release.
Last post by Sparkar - Today at 12:16 AM
So I took out the bulb but the glass sheared straight off the metal cylinder. Now how does on remove that?
Mechanicals / Re: Rough idle when cold
Last post by rumb - Yesterday at 07:36 PM
The manual isnt clear on cranking in between, but you could read it as the procedure for each valve. I think you should crank everytime you remove a rocker to refill the lifter or to do another valve. Otherwise after a few revs all the lifters have lost some oil.

Interiors & Exteriors / rear window trim clip rivets
Last post by raueda1 - Yesterday at 04:18 PM
As far as I can tell, the specified MB part N910001003101 is a just 3.2 x 5.89 pop rivet.  They seem to range merely expensive to absolutely ridiculous. Looks to me like that's within about 0.05mm of a standard 1/8" x 1/4" pop rivet that costs just a few cents each.  Anything wrong with doing it the cheap way?  Thanks and cheers,
Mechanicals / Re: Rough idle when cold
Last post by ramiro - Yesterday at 03:58 PM
The best scenario would be if the lifters are empty and just under the tension of the spring, i would not crank the the engine before because you don't the lifter under any tension from oil pressure.

The main problem is as soon as you remove a rocker arm the lifter will go to the upper limit ,  and while doing that i will suck in oil from the small reservoir in the head.
If you then put a the rooker arm back in it will stay there for a while because the oil valve is a one way valve so it won't allow the oil to get out again so you have to wait until it slowly leaks out before you can measure again.

I actually rotated the engine so that the valve was open on the cylinder and when the lifter was collapsed i rotated the engine again to measure.
You also will see the lifter go up when you do that , if it does not go up and the rocker arm is loose i would suspect the lifter is broken also when it collapses very quickly when the valve is open it is broken.

In a german forum i even read that somebody removed the lifter and pressed all the oil out so he had no wait time between the measurments.