News:

The ORG - Truly Independent and Unbiased!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Possible fuse issue?
Last post by revilla - Today at 11:07 PM
This might help too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QAq0t_Fmb7A

It isn't uncommon to find fuses values in the wrong location.

It's a good opportunity to check (or replace) all that.

Hope it helps.
Last post by revilla - Today at 11:02 PM
Hi,

Probably a previous owner upgraded the locks to selenoids, which would explain your situation.

Here's the fusebox diagram. Probably fuse 1 I presume. Pay attention that sometimes the fuse itself is fine, but the problem comes from dirty contacts right at the interface with the tabs. Try moving it in circular motion and/or spray some contact cleaner and rub with a plastic soft brush (never metal). Guarantee problem is that. It happens all the time with these W116s and many other models from that era.

Please keep us posted.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the wonderful ownership Mercedes world.

Last post by daantjie - Today at 08:15 PM
Locks are vacuum operated so that has nothing to do with fuses.
Mechanicals / Possible fuse issue?
Last post by Hunter649 - Today at 06:04 PM
Hey all,

First time poster but been lurking here for a while. I've just bought a '77 280SE a few weeks back, while driving it last night the radio, antenna motor, central locking and dash clock all stopped at once. I assume this is some kind of fuse issue but wanted to get some more experienced insight before I go pulling things apart and investigating the strange clicking coming from the glove-box region.

Thanks!!
Mitch
Test Drive / Re: Finally! A proper license...
Last post by rumb - Today at 04:41 PM
Here in Colorado, license customized plates are a big source of income for them.  There are hundreds of special designs as well as the ability to put your own text on a lot of them.  The custom plates I think cost an additional $25 per year.

https://dmv.colorado.gov/license-plates
Test Drive / Re: Finally! A proper license...
Last post by adamb - Today at 04:04 PM
How does it work where you live - do you pay some authority for a unique registration number of your choosing? Is this an expensive service?

Here in the UK custom number plates that have short sequences of characters or resemble some word even mildly can fetch high prices. For instance, have a look at these in an auction this month - https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2024-05-11/cars/?Make=Registration&q=
Needless to say one cannot just choose a sequence of characters one likes in most cases.
Mechanicals / Re: Seeping 6.9 oil lines
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 01:51 PM
Quote from: daantjie on Today at 12:51 PMWhere is the seepage from, the fitting/connection or the hose itself?  I would think that seepage from the hose would be exceedingly rare.
From the fittings.  It's as if the hose wall thickness is a tiny, tiny bit small to get enough compression against the rubber.  But it was the highest quality replacement I could find.  And I measured but properly measuring old hoses is usually all but impossible cause of swelling, compression, etc etc.
Test Drive / Finally! A proper license pla...
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 01:45 PM
 ;D
Mechanicals / Re: Dash Color (Bambo Interior...
Last post by benzjag - Today at 01:42 PM
UPDATE

I ordered the following dye in dark brown for the center console (and would be the same for the dash) for my "bambo" interior. The match was PERFECT! It dries exactly in color and sheen! Hope this helps someone who wants to "brighten" up their interior!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/381658278400?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Acs3w99lTjS&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=rbLF3k4xSiC&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Mechanicals / Re: Dome Light Delay (1979 300...
Last post by benzjag - Today at 01:32 PM
Thanks! I just got confirmation as well from the Mercedes Classic Center the 78-80 300SD did not have the dome light delay!