News:

The ORG - No shonky business!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Test Drive / Re: Which 116 should I choose?
Last post by Tobh - Today at 03:37 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!
I'm not too worried about the d-jet vs. k-jet issue, especially if the car has been properly maintained, as these two seem to have been.
I'm also just wondering if I'm foolish for going for a car as nice as the 450 here, to then drive it every day except for in the winter? But then again, I'm sure those will be pretty trouble free miles/kms, with a car in such a good condition.
Last post by daantjie - Today at 09:37 AM
My point is both systems are great if everything's fine.  Try finding a DJET expert or parts.  Good luck.
KJET was installed in literally millions of cars over more than a decade so the parts supply and support is infinitely better.
Mechanicals / Re: Yet another another 6.9 ti...
Last post by raueda1 - Today at 08:32 AM
Quote from: Max-NL on Today at 05:33 AMWhy did you choose for 225/65? Shouldn't 215/65 or 225/60 be a better choice as they are closer to 215/70/14 percentage wise?
Probably.  I'm just trying to find a balance.  To elaborate:

> In general the options for 15" tires seem pretty limited.  It's mostly either cheap-o stuff, racing tires, white lettered muscle car tires or crazy expensive.  Not so much in the middle. 

> For appearance and handling I'm of the view that bigger (wider) is better, though obviously only to a point.  The OE 215 size looks oddly small and skinny IMO.  I'm on P600 235/60's now and they work great, but they're about $500 and unobtainium anyway. 

> For sure, 215/65 or 225/60 closer in diameter to OE but I don't care much about speedo error.  I already have that anyway.    ::)  Others have suggested 225/60 as well.  All I can find are no-name-o Asian stuff not befitting the car.

So, given availability and price (US$329), I've triangulated on the Pirelli Cinturato P5 225/65R15.  Hence the interest in that particular tire.

Cheers,

Mechanicals / Re: Yet another another 6.9 ti...
Last post by Max-NL - Today at 05:33 AM
Why did you choose for 225/65? Shouldn't 215/65 or 225/60 be a better choice as they are closer to 215/70/14 percentage wise?
Last post by Pete49 - Yesterday at 11:07 PM
I tend to disagree with the Djet knockers. I have a '75 450 DJet and not a problem at all. All systems have their benefits and downsides and to be honest my 450SEL is coming up to its 200k miles(UK import) birthday and has been trouble free.
Mechanicals / Yet another another 6.9 tire t...
Last post by raueda1 - Yesterday at 07:32 PM
My tires are shot, looking for replacements.  I'm running 15" wheels and options seem get worse all the time.  At this point I'm tending towards Pirelli Cinturato P5's, 225/65-15. Apparently they were developed for big Jaguar sedans of the same era.  Anybody have experience with them or suggest alternatives?  Thanks and cheers,
Last post by Randys01 - Yesterday at 06:22 PM
7 grand difference ?.mmm the gold  one looks fabulous. Id agree with Daniel  K jet over D if you assess them to be equal adjusted for price.
Last post by BMA - Yesterday at 04:22 PM
Agree to Tobh, both should be D-Jet, which is more complex to maintain, but if it works, it has haven some advantages to K-Jet in Fuel consumption and slightly more power.

If optically you like both the same, I would recommend the 450. Very similar fuel consumption but more torque from down low. Kind Regards from Germany, Björn
Last post by Tobh - Yesterday at 04:18 PM
Quote from: daantjie on Yesterday at 02:58 PMDepending on which fuel injection they come with in my opinion. Stay away from DJET and go for KJET. DJET is a nightmare to diagnose and parts are expensive and scarce.

I assume both are d-jet since they're both from 1975.
Last post by daantjie - Yesterday at 02:58 PM
Depending on which fuel injection they come with in my opinion. Stay away from DJET and go for KJET. DJET is a nightmare to diagnose and parts are expensive and scarce.