News:

The Org - Serving W116 Enthusiasts for over 20 years!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mechanicals / Re: Replacement Antenna toothe...
Last post by Tombone - Today at 04:09 PM
Quote from: Max-NL on Today at 03:50 PMDid you check to see if you have an original or aftermarket antenna?
I think it must be aftermarket as no markings on it. I bought an inexpensive one with teeth on the tail that was listed for a W123, so may fit. The motor is the later plastic case type. Thank you.
Last post by Tombone - Today at 04:06 PM
Quote from: daantjie on Today at 03:43 PMYou can normally find Hirschmann parts on ebay.  Might have to ship from US unless you can find local seller.
Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open. I've bought an aftermarket one with teeth that was listed as for W123, it was not expensive and might fit until I can find a Hirschmann.
Last post by Max-NL - Today at 03:50 PM
Did you check to see if you have an original or aftermarket antenna?
Last post by daantjie - Today at 03:43 PM
You can normally find Hirschmann parts on ebay.  Might have to ship from US unless you can find local seller.
Mechanicals / Re: Water leak / pooling in re...
Last post by daantjie - Today at 03:34 PM
Check sunroof drains.  The rear ones drain from behind the chrome trim on the C pillar.

Open sunroof completely, then park on an incline with front wheels higher than rear.

Then pour water into the pan channel.  It should rapidly drain out of the drain hose behind the trim.

Front drain exits in the A pillar lower part, you'll see it with front door open.
Mechanicals / Replacement Antenna toothed UK
Last post by Tombone - Today at 10:49 AM
Hi everyone,
This is my first post. I have recently bought a W116 280se from 1979. Very pleased with the car! Unfortunately the antenna has somehow been bent and wouldn't fully retract. To prevent further vandalism I have removed it by removing retaining nut and driving it out. The tail is toothed. Does anyone know where I can buy a replacement in the UK? All I can seem to find are the smooth tailed versions. I don't think there is anything wrong with the motor. To refit do I just reverse the process? Feed the tooth tail in and turn off the power so it retracts? Thank you in advance. Tom
Mechanicals / Re: Replacing Indicator Relays
Last post by Alex - Today at 07:37 AM
Ah cheers for that photo mate.
I was thinking of doing something similar as per Koan's suggestion in this thread: https://forum.w116.org/mechanicals/fast-blinkers/
But my relay (I believe) is 4 pin. So the Hella 3016 wont work. Any idea on how the 4th pin for a trailer works? Or what relay I can use instead? (I would assume its a generic 12v 4 x 21w one, but I've got no clue).

P.S. Where can I buy the trailer hitch?
Last post by Alex - Today at 04:26 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 15 May 2024, 08:55 AMIndeed the dreaded firewall rust from behind the fuse box can cause water ingress which can easily run backwards and pool in the rear footwells.

Nah not that, I tested it, and no water came back.. it all drained out nicely.

Quote from: Randys01 on 15 May 2024, 01:43 AMSome dampness beneath the bench is curious..........is the ponding limited to one rear footwell? 
Check the adjacent ront footwell. As I recall water in the front can migrate  into the back footwell.

It is mostly in the right rear footwell, there is a minor amount in the left, and some in the front right. Most of the water is contained generally to the right side of the car, but despite my best efforts, I cannot recreate the rain ingress with a hose.

There is generally more water in the rear than the front. It may be entering from beneath the front seats but not in the front well, somewhere- if I had to say.
Last post by Alex - Today at 04:25 AM
Quote from: daantjie on 15 May 2024, 08:55 AMIndeed the dreaded firewall rust from behind the fuse box can cause water ingress which can easily run backwards and pool in the rear footwells.

Nah not that, I tested it, and no water came back.. it all drained out nicely.

Quote from: Randys01 on 15 May 2024, 01:43 AMSome dampness beneath the bench is curious..........is the ponding limited to one rear footwell? 
Check the adjacent ront footwell. As I recall water in the front can migrate  into the back footwell.

It is mostly in the right rear footwell, there is a minor amount in the left, and some in the front right. Most of the water is contained generally to the right side of the car, but despite my best efforts, I cannot recreate the rain ingress with a hose.
Test Drive / Re: Which 116 should I choose?
Last post by Tobh - Today at 04:13 AM
Quote from: w116john on Yesterday at 04:52 PMtobh
just for curiosity are the available to see on a website?

Unfortunately not. I've only been in contact with the owners privately.