News:

Please add your location to your profile. It will help others to help you!

Main Menu

New toy - '84 500 SEC

Started by adamb, 03 September 2008, 05:30 PM

adamb

Wanted to share with you my excitement about a new purchase - 1984 500SEC. One owner, FMBSH, 57K miler, well looked after car. Bodywork is not perfect because it's spent its life in central London but has been always garaged and never missed a service. Driving it is fun but not as much fun as the 6.9, of course!

See a slide show of pics here:
http://img212.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img212/7273/12204804291b2.smil

Here's an embedded slide show (if it works):
<embed src="http://img212.imageshack.us/slideshow/smilplayer.swf" width="640" height="480" name="smilplayer" id="smilplayer" bgcolor="FFFFFF" menu="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="id=img212/7273/12204804291b2.smil"/>

Go to ImageShack® to Create your own Slideshow

Big_Richard

oscar

Now I can see it.  I couldn't get the slideshow to work last night but it is now.  A couple of those shots look like they came out of a catalogue.  Congrats on the purchase adam.   I like the velour trim, looks nice and very 80's, in a good way. 8)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

GreaseMonkey

Any clues on location? Looks like Welwyn Garden City maybe?
And you parked on a double yellow line you rebel!
Nice wheels, well done.
Chris

adamb

Thank you all for your complements. The location is Waltham Forest town hall. Waltham Forest is a generally undesirable part of London (compared to places like Kensington, Chelsea or Hampstead) but it does have attractive parts. I live about 15 mins away.

I've been enjoying driving this car but I do miss the 6.9. One advantage of the 500 is the fuel consumption which is 50-70% better than the 6.9. I'll have to sell one car and I'm afraid that it's going to have to be this one as I cannot imagine parting with the 6.9.

GreaseMonkey

Ok, know it well, no need to apologise for Waltham Forest, I seem to remember it was one of Henry VIII's original hunting grounds?
I was originally from Barnet, but had a garage business in Edmonton in the '70s.
Anyway, nice car, but if you already have a 6.9, why did you buy this one?
Too many toys.............
C.M.

adamb

Chris, Chris, Chris, men are not meant to ask questions like "why did you buy it"! ;)

It was an impulse, it was pretty, I couldn't help myself, it was one of those things, etc ad nauseum...

Never had an SEC before and wanted to see what it's like and it is good. It drives like a very modern car, is very quiet by virtue of being high geared and is lovely to cruise in.

You must be one of many who's emigrated to Australia over the years from UK. When it comes to winter, I do envy your guys.

GreaseMonkey

Quote from: adamb on 13 October 2008, 04:39 PM
Chris, Chris, Chris, men are not meant to ask questions like "why did you buy it"! ;)

It was an impulse, it was pretty, I couldn't help myself, it was one of those things, etc ad nauseum...
Just kidding, how else did I end up with five M=Bs?
I remember when a (very rich, company chairman) family friend traded his company car W116 450SEL for a new 500SEC when they first appeared.
I was mighty impressed.
Still a great car today, and funnily enough, a model I don't have...........d'ya think the Mrs would notice another car in the drive?
And yeah, we don't miss winter, in fact that is why we came back, my wife could never get used to the cold.

Chris M.