News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Your thoughts please

Started by koan, 09 January 2011, 04:06 PM

koan

Something I find just a little bit irritating are posters who offer things for sale or seek advice about where to get some part or service with no hint of where in the world they are.

I'm a great believer in privacy and anonymity in the real world and as much as is possible on the Internet but is it really sacrificing  too much to give a city and country or just a county?

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

thysonsacclaim

Koan,

Yes I do agree. Privacy is important, but unless you are located in some very small town, it would be a bit of work to actually physically locate where in the world someone actually lives.

I think it is just a case of people posting randomly to forums without realizing they should leave some small bit of identifying information. Perhaps they don't think anyone would respond or only wish to give out contact information to those who are genuinely interested. If that is the case, though, they should probably say so.

A lot of us live in different countries and probably wouldn't consider buying overseas unless it was some special case. It generally inflates shipping costs and complicates thing should something go wrong.

I think, at a minimum, people should at least say what country they are in.

s class

Joining a forum and, as a newbie, posting a 'parts wanted' or 'for sale' thread without any location information is rude, or at least shows a lack of thinking. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Big_Richard

I reckon advertising things for sale should be a privilege earned by positive contribution rather than having immediate access to it and then disappearing for ever once goods are sold.

MB_Mike

couldn't it be a requirement at registration at least to put the country and have it show under your avatar? With this being a very worldwide site I think that would make sense.
1987 Home market 560 SEL

TJ 450

I agree with everything said thus far, including earning the privilege to list items in the "Shop" subforum.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

Mforcer

I think these people may be selfish through their frustration (not selfish generally!) as they are thinking only about what they need to resolve their issue (where to find parts) but not thinking about what others need to help them (their location).

I also think that some people don't realise or appreciate how diverse geographically we are.

Admin is probably already looking into requiring people to note their location when registering.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200