News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

Why is This Forum The Best

Started by SELfor50, 15 November 2007, 05:49 AM

SELfor50

Now i'm not gonna shoot from the hip straight away...

But if you have a quick read of the following post:
OzBenz 'Market Place' section

A dude has obviously joined the site and then posted up his car for sale.
Immediately he has been given a 'school boy lecture' about a certain etiquette involved in posting a for sale item on the forum without contributing etc.
He even has a crack at the blokes ad and what's wrong with it etc... make sure you "use your keyboard and get active" blah blah...

This is a textbook case of why our gig here is so bloody good!!!

From time to time, people have come on here and simply joined, advertised a car - then once in awhile they'll drop back to see if there's been any interest generated.
Throughout that - nobody has once, ever, given them a lecture about 'not contributing' to the forum!!

BECAUSE, it doesn't matter whether someone contributes a little or alot, or even none at all except posting a motor vehicle for sale that one of us might even purchase and thank them for advertising it anyway.  The simple fact that everyone here on W116.org is willing to offer information, free of charge, without contribution - is what makes this such a bloody good place.  And due to such a wealth of knowledge that is happily passed on whether it's someone's 1st or 1000th post, puts us on a much more approachable level.

No major diss to the ozbenz site!!  I just think something like that is more 'moderation' than is required!

My 10c!  ;)

Andrew280SEL

Yes, let us keep it that way! ;D

This forum is a shining example of what other forums should be like in terms of friendliness and.... everything I guess. :)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

Miss Olga

The outstanding success of this site is the result of the outstanding people who have made it their home.
Simple.
We have no outrageous rules. In fact we seem to have only one rule: and that is - show a bit of respect for other members. Any more rules and I would not stay here. I'm just a bit of an anarchist and I am intelligent enough to decide for myself without having someone try to do the job for me.
We accept people and value them for themselves - not just the number of posts nor the number of cars they own.
What makes the forum is not the website: that is just a tool for the community of people who spend a part of their time here. Without the people the website would be empty  - it would be just a shell without the laughter, goodwill, adcice and occasional accident that happens in this lot.
Oh, BTW, where else would you find real eccentrics and hill climb nuts? I love it. Change it and I'll have to lift my leg .... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Yrs etc,
Miss Olga

Andrew280SEL

And we have a couple of the best Moderators ever! ;D ;D
I also wonder how many other forums have four-legged members on board. ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

koan

Quote from: Miss Olga on 15 November 2007, 06:12 AM

The outstanding success of this site is the result of the outstanding people who have made it their home.

Miss Olga

And what other Mercedes-Benz forum not only allows cats to participate but to moderate as well.

koan
Boogity, Boogity, Boogity, Amen!

Bandolero

"Change it and I'll have to lift my leg ..........Miss Olga."

Miss Olga!!!!
Don't you know that boy dogs are the ones that normally lift their legs ???

And I thought your owner was a dog breeder................. :o
Russell Bond - (Adelaide, South Australia)
1978 450SEL 6.9 .... #5166 .... 12/78 (Sold.) [url="//www.ezycoat.com.au"]www.ezycoat.com.au[/url]

oscar

Cam, I was gonna quote a couple of things you said but I agree with the whole lot.  Personally I couldn't care less if people look and learn or just advertise.  It saves me scouring ebay. ;D  The info is continually streaming in as it is and yeah, so many are happy to help without becoming search nazis.   There's a general etiquette that's formed on its own and the ability to post freely without censorship.  It's relaxed, it's free and very, very informative.

No offence to mbspares as I'm speaking generally here about sponsored benz forums of which there are many worldwide. mercedesshop and Rusty's buymbparts to name a couple of others I know of.  But I enjoy the fact we can recommend whatever supplier or service agent we like without feeling guilty of naming someone else other than a sponsor.  As for dishing, it's very constrained IMO which is good.  I'd rather hear the recommendations but then again, I don't mind being warned about certain products. eg  Armourall.  I can't imagine Armourall get much business from MB forums. ::) 

No idea what it costs to run the forum or for admin to upgrade the server from a Commodore64  ;D  ;D but if sponsorship came to the fore, I recommend non MB related sponsorship like Victoria's Secret  8) or, or Sports Illustrated. 8)  Either that or we sell the boxes of buxsom pink w116 tshirts I have in storage.  The we go for swimwear. 8)  Did I upset anyone?  'course not, it's that kind of place.  luv yous all ::)
1973 350SE, my first & fave

docbj450SEL

I myself being a minority American in this Australian and South African dominated forum, have never felt out of place or discriminated against. Thanks for being nice to the Yankee.

Martin 280s

Quote from: docbj450SEL on 21 November 2007, 08:03 AM
I myself being a minority American in this Australian and South African dominated forum, have never felt out of place or discriminated against. Thanks for being nice to the Yankee.

You think you're a minority(?), How about being the only regularly participating member in Latin America! Even so, geographically we are separted, but in spirit we're all together in the same room! And it's a great place to be ;D

CraigS

And I'm the only one in Turkey, so don't feel so bad !
[url="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/"]http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/Aegeanfoods/My%20Cars/[/url]

borbstyle

Well I'm the only one from Antarctica.. But I currently reside in Melbourne.. And may do so on a permanent basis, I'll always consider myself an Antarctican though  ;D

Apologies, just had to a touch of stupidity to my message
Seriously though, I like the fact that almost everyone on this forum seems to get along.. There's always going to be disagreement and occasionally the odd person who take things too far. But as a general rule most members of this forum don't have a tendency to alienate other members with conflicting opinion. And I do like the fact that there is very little/none of the "no regular posts/not deserving of advice" mentality that I have seen in some forums.

Just my humble opinion

Martin 280s

Quote from: koan on 15 November 2007, 01:31 PM

I was thinking of Mrs. Slocum's pussy for some reason.

koan

Now there's a funny thing! Just this week I was PMing 116 Benz about "Are you being served?" and here someone else is talking about Mrs. Slocum's pussy, it does get about even after all these years! :o

116Benz

Quote from: Martin 280s on 21 November 2007, 02:39 PM
Quote from: koan on 15 November 2007, 01:31 PM

I was thinking of Mrs. Slocum's pussy for some reason.

koan

Now there's a funny thing! Just this week I was PMing 116 Benz about "Are you being served?" and here someone else is talking about Mrs. Slocum's pussy, it does get about even after all these years! :o

Theres a generation out there that still wouldnt get what we're talking about with regards to Mrs Slocum's pussy, Mr Humphries had a problem with his Yorkshires not rising. Comedy has become less.. erm.. naughty? nowdays..

borbstyle

Regards "Are you being served?".. I remember watching that show, admittedly not understanding half the jokes at the time, but when they started showing it again about 6 or so years ago it all fit in to place :)
I possibly, might be considered in one of those "generations" you refer to.. I am 24 (mentally 15, but that doesn't count).
I personally think that a lot of comedy today isn't necessary "less naughty", but more... Lacking creativity and the sort of impact that the older comedies made.. Fawlty Towers, will be forever engraved in my mind.. I know it's not quite as old, but I still consider it a classic.
Older comedies are much like older music in my opinion... In the sense that the best ones, whilst not necessarily familiar to the younger generations, it's likely they'll have heard of the names.. I don't see much chance of this repeating for the comedies and music of now in 10 to 20 years time.

116Benz

Quote from: borbstyle on 21 November 2007, 11:20 PM
Regards "Are you being served?".. I remember watching that show, admittedly not understanding half the jokes at the time, but when they started showing it again about 6 or so years ago it all fit in to place :)
I possibly, might be considered in one of those "generations" you refer to.. I am 24 (mentally 15, but that doesn't count).
I personally think that a lot of comedy today isn't necessary "less naughty", but more... Lacking creativity and the sort of impact that the older comedies made.. Fawlty Towers, will be forever engraved in my mind.. I know it's not quite as old, but I still consider it a classic.
Older comedies are much like older music in my opinion... In the sense that the best ones, whilst not necessarily familiar to the younger generations, it's likely they'll have heard of the names.. I don't see much chance of this repeating for the comedies and music of now in 10 to 20 years time.

Yes, thats what I was trying to say, less creation. Would there ever be another Carry On series of movies again? I think not.