News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

W116 welcoming

Started by LiaMerc, 05 October 2008, 07:49 PM

LiaMerc

Thanks to all the guys for popping round to welcome me into the world of W116,
It was great to meet you all and talk about some interesting things about my 6.9 not to mention the beautiful cars you brought with you.

Cheers to you all and i look forward to catching up with you all again (changing my sphere's) haha just kidding.

Thanks again

Liam

TJ 450

Quote from: LiaMerc on 05 October 2008, 07:49 PM
Cheers to you all and i look forward to catching up with you all again (changing my sphere's) haha just kidding.
That's certainly a possibility. 8)

I purchased my two rear spheres (apparently the M-B term is "Air Cell") from www.autohausaz.com. I haven't yet purchased the front three. The fronts have a higher pressure rating than the rears.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

WGB

Pleasure.

Changing spheres is easy. Jack up all four wheels. Crack a joint to make sure there is no residual pressure (Your chassis number is about 200 too early to be fitted with bleed screws). Remove sphere and replace with new while replacing the two copper washers on the banjo joint and taking care not to cross thread the small pipe union.

One blue-green dot sphere each side at rear, two red dots  in left front of wheel arch and one red dot under the battery mount.

Just remember that the right front one is mounted under the battery tray - remove tray and unbolt the two nuts visible in the RH wheelarch and the sphere is removed attached to a separate small frame - don't waste a lot of time as most of us have trying to remove the sphere from the subframe while it is in situ.

If you really want to finish the job properly remove the oil reservoir - replace the low pressure hoses and clean out the tank and replace the paper filter and clean the mesh filter. Then replace with clean oil. This can be done at a later date.

All jobs with the exception of the oil change are in the workshop manual available here and I have put links in your previous posting.

Bill