The Org @ Irish Classic & Vintage Motor Show, Terenure 2019

Started by ptashek, 08 July 2019, 05:59 AM

ptashek

The annual show at Terenure is Ireland's biggest and by far the best classic car show, and a highlight of the year. This year the weather played along, and it was a scorcher of a day (by our standards...).

Every year the Irish chapter of MB Club UK has a stand there, and this year we've had the biggest one with 75 benzes, from W108s through two 600s and a ton of R107, to a more recent CLK63 AMG. We've also had four W116s on the stand, three of them from The Org, so we've been well represented too! There was another 6.9 in the non-club area. So in total five W116s in one place on a single day, in a country where less than 10 of them (that I know of) are road-going - I consider that a success :)

The Org was represented by Type17 (350SE), Mick74 (AMG 6.9) and myself (450SE).

1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

daantjie

Daniel
1977 450 SEL 6.9 - Astralsilber

rumb

That is great you get so many old MB there.
I really struggle with our club to get a turnout.
'68 250S
'77 6.9 Euro
'91 300SE,
'98 SL500
'14 CLS550,
'16 AMG GTS
'21 E450 Cabrio

Mick74

It was a great show, and it was a pleasure to meet ptashek and Type17 in person. Both cars are a tribute to you, gentlemen; outstanding condition and as close as makes no difference to how they would have looked when new. I was honoured to have my car in your company.
And I also enjoyed the encyclopedic knowledge of all things Mercedes and the W116 in particular. It was wonderful to see the attention and interest that the cars received from the general public, especially considering the draw of some of the more glamorous stablemates.

We may be small in number, but if enthusiasm and knowledge levels are anything to go by, Ireland will have a few W116's on the roads for a good few years yet.

I only arrived back from my European jaunt the previous day, and I'll post some photos and news about that in the coming days, once I get everything back on an even keel workwise. Wandering off for 4 weeks in a classic Benz has some consequences! I learned a lot about the car and am already planning work and improvements for next years expedition.
Some of the list of things to do:
1 Full new stainless steel exhaust.
2 Possibly ceramic coating the manifolds
3 Full mechanical check by a retired Mercedes technician whom I know for years and met at the show, admiring my car! This will include engine, transmission and differential (making a bit of a racket). Engine will have a full retune, new injectors etc and a service. I'm also considering improving the air intake by adding another trumpet to the air filter housing, like the 560SEL.
4 The LHS outer sill. Front and rear repaint.
5 New radio and speakers.
6 Improve the interior lighting.
7 Etc!
As of Sunday evening, there are 2 separate European trips in the pipeline for 2020.....  :D

1979 6.9 #6475

Type17

A great day, and great to meet some fellow ORG members (some again, some for the first time).

Here's a quick video, to give an idea of the atmosphere - it's a secondary (high) school's playing fields, with about 1,200 vehicles and 10,000 people (spread over the day). Our W116's are in the centre of the shot at 0:06.

https://youtu.be/pSNM0Njg7YU
'76 350SE in Silver-Green

ptashek

Quote from: Mick74 on 09 July 2019, 01:48 PM

Which reminds me I still have some of the laser-cut ring adapters for the rear parcel shelf I've used to fit the 13cm speakers. Should be enough for another job, but I'll double check. These could easily be 3D printed as well (I can help with that too ;)), but temperature may be an issue (most printable plastics go soft above 60*C).

The radio I have is a Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT, but it seems discontinued now.
But there's plenty of similar looking ones from Blaupunkt on Amazon.
1993 "Pearl Blue" W124 280TE
1988 "Arctic White" W124 200T
1979 "Icon Gold" W116 450SE

Mick74

Quote from: ptashek on 10 July 2019, 03:50 AM
Quote from: Mick74 on 09 July 2019, 01:48 PM

Which reminds me I still have some of the laser-cut ring adapters for the rear parcel shelf I've used to fit the 13cm speakers. Should be enough for another job, but I'll double check. These could easily be 3D printed as well (I can help with that too ;)), but temperature may be an issue (most printable plastics go soft above 60*C).

The radio I have is a Blaupunkt Toronto 420BT, but it seems discontinued now.
But there's plenty of similar looking ones from Blaupunkt on Amazon.

That would be brilliant, thank you! The speakers looked the business in your car, and the sound quality and volume was perfect for me. Worse case scenario, I have to get speakers to fit the existing space, but I believe that some of the modern speakers can pack a punch that belies their size. I will only fit the four, as I'm not going to damage the interior by cutting more holes. Once I have bluetooth and usb etc, I'll be sorted.
I've been really motivated about improving my car since seeing yours at the show, mainly in the mechanical and usability areas. I'm going to make it a show winner, as my goal is to use it as often as possible and enjoy that as much as I can. Plus, I feel that we have a duty to have our cars on the public road to remind people what a great car these are.
1979 6.9 #6475

karmann_20v

Looks like a lovely event, great to see the 116 being represented well! I went to the local MB Club chapter event a few weeks ago, there was a grand total of ZERO 116s (I am guilty as I drove the 126 there).

In regards to aftermarket radios, I am considering getting the Continental (VDO) TRD7412UB-OR at least for the W126. Its faceplate design and illumination does not look as out of place in the pre 1990s MBs as with other modern BT radios. And I'm leaning more towards the CD equipped version, the CDD74184B-OR.

revilla

Great gathering guys, nice turn out and it seems like wonderful weather too!
This event should soon be published in the MB Club monthly magazine for more details I imagine.
Well done.
Cheers
R

gurrier

Hello,

Only came across this today.  It would be interesting to establish the number  of W116s
left on the road.

In Ireland I have seen a Black one, with an old Mayo registration SIZ? in the Limerick area a few times
back in 2019-20.  A Diesel conversion as far as I could gather.  There is also a green one with a ZV
registration, possibly an SEL seen within the last six months.

Also saw a navy one, again a Diesel Conversion, old Galway registration if I recall correctly,at the Tipperary show
2017-18.
1973 350SE