News:

www.W116.org - All about the Car!

Main Menu

The Org History!

Started by Tony66_au, 10 October 2012, 05:46 PM

Tony66_au

I have been here a while now and I'm enjoying the hell out of The Org, its people and features n Information which led me to ponder on the origins and history.

I am also a member on 4 or 5 other MB sites but W116.org has my loyalty and patronage over all others and its eclectic and international flavour as well as the huge amount of reference material just seems to "Click".

Which leads me to ponder where it all began and who's to blame for this wonderful madness because as creator of numerous forums myself both commercially and personally I know its a difficult task and that forums are largely the creation of its members under the guidance of the Admin.

I was originally brought to The Org via a Google search showing the 116 workshop manual and joined to see what else there was, Found insanity in the form of numerous members hilarious and yet informative posts (Yes MT and TJ) and the rampant use of photo's and other members sharing.

So I felt it was only fair to contribute to the madness.

SO!

How did it all begin?

nathan

It goes like this,
Mforcer/admin set it up
Wa blokes find each other: wgb, mt, tj, me
Mt gets angry
Koan, Oscar renaissance period
Mt gets angry
Some other guys get angry and leave
Mt angry again
Tony, oversize influx
That's a very quick run down!  ;)
Nathan
Ps don't get mad mt! I got love for you!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

John Hubertz

Please post a timeline!  Now take a breath and follow me on this one:

Your sons and daughters will be on this site.

Some grandsons and grandaughters will be on this site.

A few great-grandsons and great-grandaughters will be on this site.

Folks, the internet (historically speaking) is brand new.  It appears to be the new "big" thing, and isn't going anywhere.  Assuming this, the notes we are writing, the posts, the technical data, the pictures will outlive us all.

You see, it isn't us - we aren't special.  It is the cars...  Oh sure, in 50 years there will be only a large handful of W116s left, in 100 years perhaps only a handful.  But remember people, these aren't just cars, these are Mercedes-Benz....

This site will outlive us all - in my opinion it will outlive us by a thousand years.

John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

JasonP

A thousand years from now the internal combustion engine will be illegal and the internet, or "Nöosphere," will be accessed only by one's DNA signature. Repairing and modifying intellectual property will be illegal, and sharing such knowledge will be punishable by a fine of up to $500,000,000 Gaias, or 20 Sols in Reform Camp, or both.

The Mercedes logo will be thought of by Harvard historians and archeologists, (because they will still be dumbasses 1,000 years from now), as a cult symbol of crime and ecological destruction, from artefacts of gang members wearing them and Green pamphlets found in time capsules.

My OM617.950 will be in my descendant's basement, fully restored, and used during family get-togethers to drive around in ventilated underground tunnels, singing outlawed German ballads on outlawed German machines.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ltkDizNq2dY

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

WGB

Quote from: nathan on 10 October 2012, 08:24 PM
It goes like this,
Mforcer/admin set it up
Wa blokes find each other: wgb, mt, tj, me
Mt gets angry
Koan, Oscar renaissance period
Mt gets angry
Some other guys get angry and leave
Mt angry again
Tony, oversize influx
That's a very quick run down!  ;)
Nathan
Ps don't get mad mt! I got love for you!

When you know the history that is a very succinct run down.

Many of us knew each other via an earlier site on one of the bigger bulletin boards and migrated to this site after Mforcer set it up.

When I purchased my 450 there was no on-line technical assistance available and it sure made a big difference to put up problems and receive answers from people all over the place.

The site was more Australian based with a few US brothers like John Hubertz who added their own colour.

Then after a period of innocence the climate changed and our Sydney brethren formed Topklasse and largely left this site.

The org has stayed with a more technical slant and as John says - it owes it's existence to our cars and the generosity of Mforcer for keeping it going.

Bill

13B

For a while there from 2008-2010 there was a W116 racing team "TeamW116" which this site was responsible for being the meeting place for the three unlikley racers.

I.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

John Hubertz

Quote from: 13B on 10 October 2012, 10:23 PM
For a while there from 2008-2010 there was a W116 racing team "TeamW116" which this site was responsible for being the meeting place for the three unlikley racers.

I.

Those were the good old days.  Anyone still have a screenshot of the old format?  I still miss it sometimes... in my dreams.  Those halcyon days, with big Max rolling steady under my (then) svelte frame.  Ahhh, the memories.

John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

Big_Richard

motec6.9

Ha Ha Ha I need a good laugh .Don't get angry MT ;D
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

Big_Richard

s class

I've been a regular member since Feb 2006 - and there have been some ups and downs, but for the most part, the flavour of the place has remained, and is such that it has always been my 'home' on the internet. 

Ive bought parts from, and sold parts to, quite a number of members here and have always had great dealings.

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

motec6.9

Hi MT I would never ask .Been there myself but I do love a laught and drink . :)
Euro 6.9 255.6hp at the wheels. Watch this space.

TJ 450

Guys,

I reckon what's been said pretty well sums it up. I think I joined in 2007 from memory, when I was doing some research just before purchasing my first 116, the 450SEL. I was in awe of the information available then, and before that my previous forum experience was with the Brickboard Volvo forum where I spent many hours.

Certainly, a lot has happened in the time I've been a member.

Tim
1976 450SEL 6.9 1432
1969 300SEL 6.3 1394
2003 ML500

John Hubertz

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 11 October 2012, 02:49 AM
I dont get angry anymore.

I live like a king now, and back then I was in a very ugly situation for about 5 years that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, which absolutely will not be gone into detail on.

'fraid you'll have to look elsewhere to see that kind of entertainment. ;)

Major Tom, I've ridden out good and bad times here too.  You've sure provided me with plenty of good humor and encouragement these last few years.

Glad to hear things are going better now my friend.
John Hubertz
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

gf

Im absolutely sure on the net i saw the w116 logo looking up mercedes cars in 2002 or there abouts?Taking a break from a monumental assignment. The articles were cool but I didn't even know how to drive at that time! This is by far the best model specific site Ive seen! Things that many professional mechanics couldn't get sorted, have been fixed by advice of Org members. I firmly believe w116.org increases the standing of these cars amongst car buffs- many have seen the site!