News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

The Org History!

Started by Tony66_au, 10 October 2012, 05:46 PM

oversize

I'd be good to see where the Chapters are located!!!!  It's a shame there's such a large gang in WA and not in Melbourne!  LOL!   ;D
1979 6.9 #5541 (Red Bull)
1978 6.9 #4248 (Skye)
1979 6.9 #3686 (Moby Dick)
1978 6.9 #1776 (Dora)
1977 450SEL #7010 white -P
1975 450SEL #8414 gold -P

JasonP

I am very grateful for this forum and the people on it. I could never have kept my car running without it. I bought this thing almost a year ago, and almost everything I have learned has been through here. I do have Mercedes-Benz service manuals and other websites I go to, but basically, here is where I learn.

My sister got a compliment today driving my car in town. The guy said he has owned three Benz's.

I hope I'll be able to assist others as I learn more, so they can own and love their Mercedes-Benz as I do mine. We're a special breed. And I'm glad to be part of it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The beer made me add this ...

http://www.youtube.com/v/tybugI5CkIs

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Tony66_au

What a great Idea John!

A Wiki page would be a great addition and direct even more people here!

Something I have noticed about The Org is that like most successful forums it is an offshoot of an existing Yahoo/Delphi etc "Group".

oscar

LOL Nathan, great rundown. Does koan not post much these days either?

Howdy folks, haven't been round these pages for some time.  What once was routine to check the org multiple times a day has dissipated to, well nothing. I never dreamed I'd fall out of lurv with the w116 but it just happened and other interests took over. All the other cars are nearly gone too including Povo. Great days they were   :'(   

Until last week I haven't given any thoughts to w116 matters for months until I started work on dismantling the red 280.  I started the 350 for the first time since july which has been offroad since december last year. I'd hate to think how manky the fuel is but it started imediately and all I wanted to do was drive it.  Revved it a bit, changed gears back and forth and finally turned it off and unplugged the battery.  So anyway, reality sank in quick, nothing's gonna change anytime soon except soon I'll be back to where it started for me, a single 350se.

Which for the sake of this thread, when I got my 350 I stumbled on the original format of the forum back in 03 or early 04. I dont have screenshots but I remember it to have a black background, 100 or so members. I'm sure my member number back then was below 100 when I joined in 04 though I think it was reset to 05 when the forum changed format and appearance, or I changed name. The current appearance is perhaps the 4th skin??? mforcer, where art thou bruvver?

Not really sure how a timeline would look or what would be included but for me, "the renaissance" as nathan puts it was the highlight. Late 2006 to late 2009. It saw a grille badge, team w116, a few GTGs, a flurry of activity of posts and wrenching by so many. Ingenuity from homemade tools like wgb's rear axle carrier and valve tool, to my fave, koan's becker stereo input jack. I learnt so much.  It's just good to see the place still motoring along with new and old. Thumbs up to nutz too for, knowledge aside, he uses the coolest avatars.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

s class

Oscar, you are missed around these parts, and you will always be part of the foundation of this place. 

Hey, you had a lot to do with me overcoming my fear o D-jet....

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

oscar

haha, d-jet, nothing to it. Nah I perused a few d-jet specific threads last week and I think I've gone rusty.  Too many specifics that were stored in my head have disappeared.  I don't want to sound too soppy but if it wasn't for the likes of you sclass plus others, can't name em all of course, but there's no way I would've attempted some of the things I did do, nor undertaken the research and reading I did.  I just wouldn't have known where to start and I've always admired fellas like yourself that complete jobs thoroughly.  It inspires people to have a go.

John Hubertz

Thanks for all the "great idea" comments, but when I put "Wiki" in parentheses I meant that I'd write something up for internal use - a sticky post to help welcome new people here.  I don't know if the real wikipedia would accept an article on something as focussed as an enthusiast group, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

Another sticky post we should get together and work on would be a buyer's guide.  That post, if properly titled probably will drive new members to the site as that information is invaluable.

A third might be wheel and tire fitment, as these questions come up frequently and it would be nice to combine all the information into one thread.

If someone wants to PM or email me with the basic information about the forum and its formation days, I'll draft the "about the forum" page for people to review and edit. 

If it is alright, may I go ahead and post a poll so we can get some demographics about member locations etc?  It would seem a good way to get a snapshot of who uses the forum, and where they live.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]

WGB

Great to see Oscar "The Ambo from Riverina" posting again.

Bill

Tony66_au

Its a bit like a reunion thread in here lol

And yep Oscars D jet threads led me to discover that D jet is nothing to be scared of and IMO its easier than K jet to diagnose and repair.

oscar

Hehe. Haven't touched k-jet myself so I prefer to stay out of those discussions......most of the time.

Tony66_au

Maybe its my more than passing familiarity with Modern EFI systems that gave me a leg up with the D jet.

Injection that utilises a common rail to each side and injectors that are electrically fired with the only real twist being the Manifold pressure is used to sort the air/fuel ratio.

But the Throttle body and TPS is identical as is the injection itself, all the rest is pure Bosch but not too hard to unnerstan.

thysonsacclaim

OMG Oscar!

It's aliiiiiiiiiiiive!

Missed your posts mate!

oscar

Cheers Adam.  8) Not much to report though.

Tony66_au

Just a few interesting Statistics I recently found on W116.org which go a long way to explainign why this site seems to work so well.

Having been involved in this sort of thing professionally and privately I can say that these figures are truly astounding.

Total Members:    1,794

Total Posts:        91,475

Total Topics:         9,201

The average user visit count per day is between 19 and 30 plus,

Average registrations per day:    1.78

Average posts per day:    38.38 which is why the board is so lively and a great stat,
Average topics per day:    3.60   which is also a good thing.

Heres the gold though,

Mechanicals has  34,210 posts
Test Drive has  15,487 and Interiors & Exteriors 14,722  which means we are all working on our cars or helping others to perfect their cars.

Neatly summed up it means that we are a community and id suggest a close community of helpful enthusiasts.

Tony66_au

Heres a scary Stat..................

Ever wonder how you manage to lose time on here? (I do)

Most Time Online

oscar                   96d 12h 51m

Major Tom 6.9     88d 19h 32m

s class                 75d 21h 42m

koan                    71d 10h 21m

TJ 450                  67d 16h 40m

13B                      61d 15h 57m

Des                      53d 12h 6m

116Benz              49d 16h 2m

Andrew280SEL    37d 11h 51m

Mforcer                32d 3m