News:

www.W116.org - The #1 resource for our W116! Established 2004

Main Menu

The Org History!

Started by Tony66_au, 10 October 2012, 05:46 PM

thysonsacclaim

Yup. This site rocks. I've been a member for coming on two years (can't believe it!).

Although I am 116-less atm, I still have been popping in now that my personal life is back on track. I like to see others' projects and you guys are a real class act.

Anyway, the folks here are fun, sarcastic, helpful and very diverse. Yeah, I'm sure some times folks have gotten into a tissy here or there (myself included), but the lot of everyone I have talked to, dealt with, or posted to/with have always been courteous and mature, even if we disagreed. There are no trolls, little savagery, and lots of great people with great experience.

And I am sure my MB days are not over, and that they will entail only 116 or earlier models as those are my faves. It may be in 6 months, or 5 years, but I know it will happen again. And anyway, with the help of you, I have learned a lot, and a lot about myself. I feel obliged (in a good way) to share what I have learned from the 'veterans' to the newcomers, or at least direct them to existing posts.

Cheers all

Tony66_au

MT Angry? Nahhhhhhhhhh

Splits in Ranks? Not unusual in forums, I watched this happen 7 or 8 times with another car forum and the original site is still there and strong yet all the offshoots are dead or stagnant.

Long live the People's Front of Judea (PFJ)

I do enjoy the relaxed nature of The Org and thanks to you Nathan for your simple "timeline" lol

Tony66_au

And John is bang on the money, I have laughed my arse off at most of your dry dry humour MT/GS/LG and its kept me a little saner than usual.

Its a bit like a German flavoured Penn and Teller....................

Mforcer?

Cheers! and keep doing what you are doing.

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 11 October 2012, 05:49 PMW116 people for the W116 people, By the W116 people, we may have differences in opinions at times but we all share one thing in common, a common respect of the w116 without the bullshit politics to go with it. ;)

Here here!

And who the hell charges for info on an enthusiast forum?

JasonP

Quote from: Tony66_au on 11 October 2012, 06:15 PM
Quote from: Major Tom 6.9 on 11 October 2012, 05:49 PMW116 people for the W116 people, By the W116 people, we may have differences in opinions at times but we all share one thing in common, a common respect of the w116 without the bullshit politics to go with it. ;)

Here here!

And who the hell charges for info on an enthusiast forum?

For $20 I'll tell ya .....
1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Big_Richard

JasonP

1979 300SD
Color: 623H "Light Ivory"
1979 300SD
Color: 861H "Silver Green Metallic"
1977 280 E
Color: 606G "Maple Yellow"
-------------------------------------------

Tony66_au

Lemme see now............

20 USD = about $8.23 in West Australian dollars.........

BARGAIN!

MT. Tasteful?

nathan

Back to seriousness, the org from memory, was a shoot off from a yahoo group we were both members of.  Mforcer had a bold idea and set the site up with early members from the yahoo group. Before the org site  reformat, there was a section with the history of the org. I remember as i was mentioned as a founding member. The time was march 27 2004, when I was first registered. I note mforcer or the architect, is registered as march 24 2004.  I did most of my posting early on when I was doing the major work on my first 6.9 which is now at an acceptable level. Not being mechanical like guys such as tj, mt or s class, I don't post as much. However, I have personally met members from nsw, Victoria as well as having 116 days here locally. A great social tool indeed!
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

Big_Richard

Tony66_au

A few great forums developed from Yahoo Groups and before Yahoo remember "Excite Communities"?

Delphi forums were also great and I was in my heyday being paid to transfer these groups to Web based freestanding forums on whatever software they chose especially when Delphi banned adult or dubious content after their ownership change.

Forums were being deleted left right and center and the paranoia was HUGE!

All I could think of was the Luverly Gelt, Oooo dat luverly money I was beschmeckling with all the forum schmutter I was doing!

5 code monkeys, a tech and me............  I should never have sold the biz..........

So 2004 eh?

Not so old really then but you guys are doing something very well to get the Org to this state.

Thank Dog too or id be buggered on the 116 front

nathan

You misposted mt, I have a big tool...
1979 116 6.9 #6436
2018 213 e63
2011 212 e63
2011 463 g55
2007 211 e500 wagen
1995 124 e320 cabriolet
1983 460 300gd
1981 123 280te

adamb

Quote from: nathan on 12 October 2012, 06:07 AM
Back to seriousness, the org from memory, was a shoot off from a yahoo group we were both members of.  Mforcer had a bold idea and set the site up with early members from the yahoo group. Before the org site  reformat, there was a section with the history of the org. I remember as i was mentioned as a founding member. The time was march 27 2004, when I was first registered. I note mforcer or the architect, is registered as march 24 2004.  I did most of my posting early on when I was doing the major work on my first 6.9 which is now at an acceptable level. Not being mechanical like guys such as tj, mt or s class, I don't post as much. However, I have personally met members from nsw, Victoria as well as having 116 days here locally. A great social tool indeed!

I just checked my Profile and it looks like I've been a member here since December 2005. Before then I was active on the mercedesw116 Yahoo forum that was set-up by a guy in UK that I knew who was really into W116 for a while. I also used to bother with www.m-100.org/www.m-100.cc but found those fora a little crappy. This site is ace though.

Time flies but W116 stays constant!

John Hubertz

OK - Now that we're firmly back on topic, I have a couple of suggestions for this thread:

1.  Let's get a formal timeline of how things started, and the early teething pains, etc...  nothing long or complicated, but maybe it would be neat to document the names of the first few members, etc.  It would also be nice to chart the growth of the membership over time, including the addition of the international members.

For example, who was the first international member?  How are the members distributed around the world?  How many countries are represented in the membership?  Are we all male, or is there an obscure female or two?

I volunteer to write up the W116 "Wiki" article if someone can give me names and dates, and it would be nice to document the real names of the founders (for posterity), with their permission, of course. 

2.  I'd love to see a screenshot or two of the early activity, in the old format, just to document the change.

3.  How much traffic does the site usually generate?  What is the most popular topic of all time?  Who owns the most W116s among us?

You could keep adding things forever, but this would probably be enough to create a good "sticky" forum post - and it would really help new members understand the 116 owner community and how forums like this are originated.

For example, I had no idea the forum was this young - it was booming when I signed on in 2006.

I have no idea who the "owner" of the site is, or how it is administered.

I do remember actively resisting the new format!   ::)  But hey, I like old things - that's why I love the 116.
John Hubertz
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
(Hunter S. Thompson) 

1977 450SEL (Max Headroom)
[img width=68 height=73][url="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg"]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f248/fullhappyfish/max.jpg[/url][/img]