News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

The Badge

Started by Mforcer, 21 May 2007, 07:31 PM

Mforcer

Just so no one thinks the grill badge has been forgotten, I present to you...

[Not at actual size]

My biggest concern with the original design was the copyright over using a design which is almost identical to that offered by Mercedes-Benz. I would also like to see a badge which is unique and reflects us as a group rather than just the manufacturer of our cars.

Oscar, our most prolific contributor has worked hard on this design which I believe represents us all extremely well.

We have gone with having the German flag colours on the badge which represents the country where our cars come from. I think the colours look very smart and will stand out while still being discreet.

Next, we placed an image of the car as the center of the badge. We felt we are not about promoting Mercedes-Benz in general but rather about promoting a particular model. By removing Mercedes-Benz specific emblems etc, perhaps there  is a chance we will see the badge on non-Mercedes-Benz cars ;)

The wording has also been changed slightly to better reflect the members of this site.

What is everyones thought? I appreciate that there has already been a vote for a badge. I just thought we could do better :)

We are now waiting for a prototype from the badge maker :) Exciting times!!!
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

Brian Crump

BRILLIANT. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Regards,
BC.

gregdeklerk

Mforcer, with this current design, I assume that you do not intend to drill holes for mounting, because this will ruin the front of the badge. Are you going to solder screws on the back? Also what is the shape of the badge going to be? Is it going to be the circle, with the edges of the car sticking out?

oscar

Hi Greg,

No screw holes.  Screws will be soldered.  Eliminate the white background.  The badge is round with the edges of the car overhanging the edges.  All the grey bits are to be electroplated/chrome finish.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Tomi

Very good, I like red colored cars and particularly the red w116

Brian Crump

The new badge will incorporate a miniature AK47 or M16 according to the owner's needs.This explains why the RH bumber protrudes from the badge.
Road rage will now be a thing of the past. This badge is a real killer.
BC

Andrew280SEL

Excellent stuff guys!  ;)
'79 280SEL- 560,000 Kms
'73 350SE- getting an AMG facelift
'79 450SEL 6.9

WGB

Looks great.

Thanks for all the work so far.

Bill

James R

Uh ? After all the previous work and voting where we got to a badge that we all liked, now we're presented with something so different ? Sorry guys, its not for me but thanks for all the hard work.
1978 450SEL 6.9 - GONE!

1979 450SEL - GONE!

OzBenzHead

I do like the brighter colours and the movement beyond the circle's edge.

Provided that apostrophe stays there ::) I'll have one of this design.
[img width=340 height=138][url="http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png"]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/OzBenzHead/10%20M-B%20Miscellany/OBH_LOGO-2a-1.png[/url][/img]

Brian Crump

QuoteProvided that apostrophe stays there
Oh OBH, ye of little faith in the literary abilities of our beloved Admin team.....
They have it correct and correct it shall stay.
Thus, you need to order several for your fleet. ;D
Regards,
BC

s class

I liked the old design, but I have to admit this is likely to be more eye-catching.  I shall still support this effort and keep my order of 2 badges, provided the price is sensible. 

Ryan

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL

Martin 280s

Quote from: James R on 22 May 2007, 03:30 AM
Uh ? After all the previous work and voting where we got to a badge that we all liked, now we're presented with something so different ? Sorry guys, its not for me but thanks for all the hard work.

I have to agree with James here. Was all that voting just a waste of time. If someone wanted to create there own design why go to the bother of asking other people's opinion ???? The badge is attractive but the colours would just look horrid on my blue baby. If that's what were waiting for you can cancel my order :(

Brian Crump

Hang on - hang on.....there is more to think about...
Please be aware that there was a real copyright issue at stake here if we had gone ahead with the original design. Quite rightly, DC has worked hard to protect its ownership of trademarks and intellecual property to the extent of not allowing some Clubs to use the name Mercedes-Benz unless those clubs were prepared to come under the umbrella of DC itself.
The 116.org is a totally independent group without rules and regulations and consequently it has been a fantastic sucess. Such success is largely because of its independent spirit and because it is shaped by its members rather than an outside body. For example, there are some official forums to which I belonged once but no more - I resent having posts censored and receiving pms from a moderator because I suggested someone use a Weber to replace a worn out Solex.  ??? What a joke!!!
In order for the 116 forum to maintain its independence and our ability to say/think/do as we want without interference, we need to avoid breaching international copyright issues. Maybe the original badge was better, maybe it wasn't. I believe we had to change, whether or not we wanted to.
Please reconsider any rejection of the new badge in light of the probable problems associated with the original.....
Vive l'independence!!!  ;D ;D ;D
And our great strength here is our ability to disagree without pissing our pants over doing so  ;D
Regards,
BC

s class

Very well said BC.  I'll also add the obvious, that whatever we finally pick, there will always be someone that doesn't like it. 

[color=blue]'76 6.9 Euro[/color], [color=red]'78 6.9 AMG[/color], '80 280SE, [color=brown]'74 350SE[/color], [color=black]'82 500SEL euro full hydro, '83 500SEL euro full hydro [/color], '81 500SL