News:

www.W116.org - By the people, for the people!

Main Menu

Sydney to Sutton Drive Day

Started by Brian Crump, 09 October 2007, 05:22 PM

Brian Crump

Cam needs our help!!!
His next Hill Climb is on 28th October at Sutton. As Minister For Outings I am declaring it an official Drive Day. If Cam can hill climb (at his own risk) the least we can do is support him (at his own risk if he runs up the embankment....we promise not to make rude comments  :o).
What about it? This guy is putting his butt on the line and we need to support him. I'm going - who else is coming? Styria? Mforcer? Gang where are you?
Regards,
BC

Mforcer

I'll check my calendar and my personal Minister for Outings and let everyone here know very soon.
Michael
1977 450SE [Brilliant Red]
2006 B200

13B

I've been a long supporter of Cam's racing - pretty much from day 1 when he said he was taking the beast to the track.

I recommend anyone even contemplating building a club race 116 attend these events and see how the car is developed from a road car to a fire breathing racing machine.

If I was in Sydney or Canberra I'd be there.

Ian.
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

Thanks for the support peeps!!

Much appreciated!

It is a great day, and if the weather really provails it's definately great to watch.
For ANYONE who is interested in automobiles of ANY kind, you will love the variety of cars on display.
Un-fortunately (or maybe fortunately) there is only 1 Mercedes that attends...and it has a bit of a loose nut behind the wheel.. ::)
But you are allowed to wander through the pits and check out all the cars. 8)

Styria, Twin Cam (Mercules)??  Be good if you could make it..
Cause there's definately some things i need to speak to you guys about 'mechanically'.
Like purchase of reco'd brake callipers and the supercharging of Silver. ;D ;D ;D

Ian, support as always well received - and thanks again for the donation of the steering wheel! ;)

Cam. :)

13B

If its anything like the sprints and hillclimbs I've been to, they usually times laps 30-40 minutes apart starting from about 10:30am.

Someone therefore needs to pack a Weber (a type of BBQ that is) and make lunch for the 116 supporters.

Oscar?
450SEL 6.9 #5440 = V MB 690 , 450SE # 43094 = 02010 H , 190E/turbo # 31548 = AOH 68K

SELfor50

First run will start at 9:30... I'll probably be somewhere in the middle of the pack so won't be hitting the track till bout 10-10:15.

It's only 1 x hotlap but will do at least 5-6 of those throughout the day.
The best part is though, there is ALWAYS a car on the track - so you're never bored.....(unless someone ploughs through some tyres and they need to clear the track first... ::)  )

So about every hour from 10am till 4-5pm.  With an hour break for lunch.

I got the Bbq covered!  That's no probs..  Will have the gas cooker and plenty snags, bread & sauce.

;)

SELfor50

Mr & Mrs Crayford.....

How far are you guys away from Canberra / Queanbyan / Sutton??

torana68

Ill be there (work permitting ... unfortunately I'm doing something in Sydney Monday so I hope it doesn't conflict!) ..... assistance provided if anyone needs any, I'm about 5 min form the track (at Datusn speed, normal car much quicker) There is a sausage and drink thing there for the club that runs it, including coffee and tea. Queanbeyan is about 2 min, so that gives you McTrash and various Cafe's in town.
Roger

oscar

I should be there.  Just got to swap a Saturday for Sunday.  Looking promising ATM.  Might be in the Ford Terri though :( not the w116.
1973 350SE, my first & fave

SELfor50

Quote from: styria on 13 October 2007, 02:37 PM
Hi Cameron, unless it's pelting down with rain, I'll be there to urge you on-I'll even bring my super duper tool roll and some rubber gloves just to oversee the mechanical preparations. Gleaming Beauty will not be competing-she will have her beauty sleep in the sun. We also need the other Cameron-where are you Mercules-are you free for the day ? Sutton Forest is a beaut area.  See you there-Styria

Nice one Godfather!  It'll be great to have you there!!  ;)
Only thing is, it's not Sutton forest.  It's Sutton (i can see how you'd get confused.  ;) )
The actual location is "Fairbairn Park, Sutton Rd, Fairbarn"  It's bout 2mins from Queanbeyan as Rog said.  I'll post up a map with directions from the Federal highway.  You turn off left not far before canberra and it's not far down the road.  Should be sweet!  :)

Quote from: torana68 on 14 October 2007, 12:45 AM
Ill be there (work permitting ... unfortunately I'm doing something in Sydney Monday so I hope it doesn't conflict!) ..... assistance provided if anyone needs any, I'm about 5 min form the track (at Datusn speed, normal car much quicker) There is a sausage and drink thing there for the club that runs it, including coffee and tea. Queanbeyan is about 2 min, so that gives you McTrash and various Cafe's in town.
Roger

Thanks Rog, it'd be about 45secs in any other car...  ;D
As you said, there's a food stand at the track that sells food.  But i'll have a gas cooker and a heap of snags and bread / sauce there for y'all.  Be all good.

Quote from: oscar on 14 October 2007, 01:12 AM
I should be there.  Just got to swap a Saturday for Sunday.  Looking promising ATM.  Might be in the Ford Terri though :( not the w116.

All good Oscar, no stress if you can't make it.  But it'd be good to have ya there.  ;)

BC, looks like there's the beginning of a crew for your daytrip..  ;)

Thanks peeps, hoping to have some nice mods done to the car by this event. Should be sweeeeet!   ;D

Cam.   8)

P.S.  Where y'all at Twin Cam??  Any chance of the 400SE Fordedes being ready for a tour to the berra yet?

Brian Crump

SMB and BC will be there mid-morning to cheer you on and kick yr butt if we need to Cam.  ;D ;D ;D
Have you got some specific directions that will help us get there before the close of business? You know we city-slickers get lost as soon as we are past the harbour bridge.... :-[
Regards,
BC

SELfor50

No stress peeps, i'll get some directions up later today for y'all.

No worries Styria all good.  Sounds like the event at Wakefield will be much better!!

Rog, you still gonna make it mate?

oscar

Right, it's all set, I'm-a-comin'.   ;)

Looking at google maps, Sutton Rd comes off the Fed highway 15km before Northbourne Av starts.  Sutton Road is about 18km from the Fed to Pialligo Av.  Where abouts is the track on Sutton Rd Cam? Are there obvious signs? I need to tell me mum.

No idea for how long or when we'll be there because I've also got to meet my mum and one of my sisters in capitown.  They were supposed to be coming out my way, I said BS, I'm going to Canberra that day, let me shorten your trip. ;D   So they're passing thru and my sisters coming back with us for work.   Not sure if they're going to the track or not so I'll play it by ear.  But I reckon once I case the place and get the bug, I'll start turning up at sunrise and leaving at sundown.   
1973 350SE, my first & fave

Mercules

Quote from: SELfor50 on 14 October 2007, 04:43 AM
P.S.  Where y'all at Twin Cam??  Any chance of the 400SE Fordedes being ready for a tour to the berra yet?

Sorry i missed this thread! Nope the Freakasaurus won't be done in time - finding it hard to find time to work on it! Might be able to hitch a ride down... Just hope we don't turn off into Belangalow State Forest on the way!

SELfor50

Sweet action... Appreciate the effort Oscar!!

And I reckon you might be able to hitch a lift with BC there 'Twin Cam'.   ;)

You're on the money there oscar - i'll post up a map of the directions tomoz.  But either way, from the federal highway it's pretty damn easy.  On Sutton rd it's just before the end (or the beginning whichever way you're coming from) and it is signposted.

Only small setback will be finding my FUKN CAR KEY!!!   >:(  But worst case scenario i'll be swapping the ignition barrels tomoz with the one from ol' smokey. (I haven't yet scoped how hard that will be...  ??? )

Should be a great day on sunday...possible afternoon shower (late afternoon) so the last run may be solid drifty's all the way.  ;D ;D ;D